General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What I learned today...

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 10:46 AM
James Gibson
Novice
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What I learned today...

A bit about me. I am a 43 year old male. 6’3” tall and about 300lbs ( <-- not a typo). Though I rode a few friends dirt bikes when I was young I only really started riding about four months ago. In that time I have learned alot but have a long way to go. Many of these lessons were simple little things but real ah ha moments for someone as new as me. I thought it might be cool to share these and get some input from more experienced riders or riders with different approaches to their bikes and the road.

I will post them separately in this thread so they can be commented on individually. Please add your lessons learned!

Old 05-22-2019, 10:49 AM
James Gibson
Novice

The first thing I learned was the day I bought my first bike (A red 2017 Yamaha FZ-07). When I got onto the highway and got up to 65mph and turned my head I remember how surprised I was how much wind the helmet caught and how it turned my head. How loud it was even with a full face helmet was also a bit surprising.

Seems such a little thing but not expecting it... I puckered up a little.

Old 05-22-2019, 10:57 AM
Triggamane
Novice
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

One of my first ah ha moments took place at the Harley riding academy when they taught us the technique of pressing down on the handlebars in the direction you want to go. Sure it may sound simple but this really changed the way I ride.

The following 2 users liked this post by Triggamane:
James Gibson (05-22-2019), MajorKG (05-22-2019)
Old 05-22-2019, 12:01 PM
James Gibson
Novice

The first time I rode in the rain traction was on my mind. Of course I slowed in turns, and increased stopping distance. What wasn't covered in my safety course and I didn't think of was the traction for my shoes when putting my feet down at a stop. My foot slipped and I nearly dropped the bike. The only thing that kept me upright was my height. I cannot imagine I am the first and I am sure I won't be the last. Would have been a good tip to get though.

Old 05-22-2019, 12:06 PM
James Gibson
Novice

Originally Posted by Triggamane
One of my first ah ha moments took place at the Harley riding academy when they taught us the technique of pressing down on the handlebars in the direction you want to go. Sure it may sound simple but this really changed the way I ride.
For sure! I raced bicycles in the past and I guess I was already using this concept but didn't realize it. When it was presented at the MSF course I didn't believe it. Wow! What an eye opener. I have to consciously push on my Super Glide where I didn't really think about it on my lighter FZ-07.

Old 05-22-2019, 12:17 PM
piper59
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 625 Posts

You'll get lots of good advice with this thread I'm sure. Don't ride scared and don't ride over confident. Keep your head on a swivel. Expect the unexpected.

The following 2 users liked this post by piper59:
bentparts (05-22-2019), James Gibson (05-22-2019)
Old 05-22-2019, 12:18 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,388 Likes on 2,952 Posts

Originally Posted by Triggamane
It shouldn't have been press down.
It should be press forward.
Go try this.😎

The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (05-22-2019)
Old 05-22-2019, 12:19 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by James Gibson
The first time I rode in the rain traction was on my mind. Of course I slowed in turns, and increased stopping distance. What wasn't covered in my safety course and I didn't think of was the traction for my shoes when putting my feet down at a stop. My foot slipped and I nearly dropped the bike. The only thing that kept me upright was my height. I cannot imagine I am the first and I am sure I won't be the last. Would have been a good tip to get though.
Very good point. I'm going to implement this in the classroom.

James Gibson (05-22-2019)
Old 05-22-2019, 12:23 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member

When riding "limited space maneuvers," on an incline, carry "extra" speed to help maintain stability. Especially uphill.

James Gibson (05-22-2019)
Old 05-22-2019, 12:30 PM
James Gibson
Novice

Ok, so I may or may not have bought three bikes in three months. I paid between 5K and 7.5K for each of them. The first was a Yamaha FZ-07, then a Yamaha Bolt, then HD Super Glide Custom.

So many lessons learned in the process. The biggest being riding posture. Though all three bikes have mid controls the posture is still different. Now throw in the difference between forward controls or rear controls. The difference is night and day! My Super Glide has highway pegs so I can get the forward feel and I can understand why that is a thing. I don't know that I would want that to be my only option though. I actually find rear controls quite comfortable but am not sure how long that comfort would last. Definitely sit on a bunch of bikes before you buy and get your feet off the ground (or at least a foot). Just standing over the bike leaves you with no real idea of how the bike feels.

The second lesson is the weight difference. I didn't realize how light the FZ was until after I had ridden the Bolt for a bit. Man you can just throw that thing (FZ) around like nothing. On that light bike the 700cc engine easily outran the 900cc Bolt off the line. The FZ feels like a toy. A REALLY FUN toy. The super glide is a lot heavier, and still not as quick as the FZ of the line even with the 1500cc engine. Comfort of course goes the other way, the super glide is like sitting in a nice recliner where the FZ... well it has a seat. The Bolt is a nice middle ground for all of these things. I am a big guy. I know folks would call the bolt a little persons bike. I think it is a blast to ride! It has no issues getting my mASS to 80mph+ and I don't need any more than that.

When I ride the bikes one after another I really start to understand why they call sport bikes sport bikes and cruisers cruisers. On the sport bike (naked bike) I feel like I have to be actively conscious of everything. Everything is more responsive. Turns are more snappy. The Clutch is more responsive. The breaks are nearly a hair trigger by comparison. I feel like I have to actively drive the bike. The cruisers.... well me feel like I'm cruising. The bike's weight makes me feel more part of the road and the turns are more sweeping and grounded. I felt more like I was along for the ride. Different rides for different moods.

Quick Reply: What I learned today...