General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My First Bike

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 10:51 AM
Lamsauce
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My First Bike

Hey everyone. I am new to this forum and motorcycles as a whole so I just wanted some advice regarding the first bike I wanna buy.

Some background info: I always a had a thing for Harley bikes but only started heavily considering purchasing one around this time last year. I am 18 years old and I got my driver's license last Christmas and have never ridden a motorcycle but I ride a normal bike decent and can just manage one handed on roads that aren't too tricky. It took me this long to get into riding because my parents were quite against it, so I decided to do tons of research about motorcycles, the benefits, and of course the dangers (I sat down and watched compilations of accidents and am currently planning to take the MSF course this summer offered by Harley). I guess it worked though, because now they seem to be convinced that I am taking this seriously. My stature is slightly above 5'10, and I weigh about 145 pounds, exercise regularly but I am on the slightly skinny side. I am going to be attending university next year and would like to use this as my main form of transportation and vehicle for exploration.

Now the main question: After watching reviews I decided that I really wanted a second hand Iron 883 as a first bike. I am thinking of: adding an air filter (to keep it cleaner), highway pegs (so I can stretch my legs out but still manage around the city with the mids), mid ape hangers that come to my shoulder( because they look dope as hell and plus people say they're comfortable), and a fairing(again cool factor but also reducing the effect of drag on your chest). I talked to my dad about this and he thinks that the iron would be too heavy at 500 pounds and that 883 cc would be dangerous (I tried to suggest a 1200 but anything above 883 is completely out the window). Obviously I am not looking for speed, but I heard from many that it was a very good beginner bike that would be fun. So what do you think?

Excited about the adventures about to come and look forward to hearing from all of you! Thanks!

The following users liked this post:
MadMexican (06-13-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 05:05 PM
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,045 Likes on 6,219 Posts

Welcome!

Old 06-13-2019, 05:10 PM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,516 Likes on 805 Posts

Regarding your dad's concern: The simple fact of the matter is that any Japanese 500cc motorcycle will blow the doors off of an 883 Sportster. And if you really want to to this, take a MSF or Harley Davidson riding course. Hell, get you dad to take it with you. This may turn out to be a fun activity for both of you.

tgmotoman (06-14-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 05:26 PM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,858 Likes on 1,270 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy
Regarding your dad's concern: The simple fact of the matter is that any Japanese 500cc motorcycle will blow the doors off of an 883 Sportster. And if you really want to to this, take a MSF or Harley Davidson riding course. Hell, get you dad to take it with you. This may turn out to be a fun activity for both of you.
This just about sums it up. POSITIVELY take an MSF course before you buy anything, and I suspect most of the Forum members would recommend an under-500cc metric, preferably pre-owned, as the best choice both operationally and financially for a first bike. Get a few thousand miles under your belt, and you'll be able to make a better-informed decision at that time. Did I mention wear All The Gear All The Time?

Last edited by shorelasHD; 06-13-2019 at 05:27 PM. Reason: grammar
The following 3 users liked this post by shorelasHD:
mctraveler (06-13-2019), tgmotoman (06-14-2019), Zonktified (06-14-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 05:33 PM
Lamsauce
6th Gear

Haha funny thing is he actually bought a Honda that was hot in 1984 behind his mom's back and crashed it, but its good to know that Japanese bikes are quicker in general because so far in our conversation that was what he was using: the fact that his Honda had a lower cc but still was too fast. I appreciate the reply. Thank you.

Old 06-13-2019, 05:36 PM
Lamsauce
6th Gear

Thanks for the reply! And yea I've been considering the price range for gear I should go for. Part of me say I should go all out and buy badass gear so I can prevent from having to buy again, but the other part says try to find something off craiglist or ebay lol.

Old 06-13-2019, 05:37 PM
Lamsauce
6th Gear

@4770004 Thank you!

Old 06-13-2019, 06:19 PM
mctraveler
Road Master
Received 321 Likes on 250 Posts

You can get a good used bike to start with( your choice).....don't skimp on good gear..helmet....jacket (with armor) at least.....MSF course...a must.........having your Dad go with you( at least to observe the classes) is a very good idea.......developing the everyday riding skills takes time...practice ( and learning to be hyper aware All the time) and more practice...investing in more education as your skills grow is also good.....(.stop learning everyday you ride...trouble comes quickly)......Ride safe...Ride aware....

Lamsauce (06-14-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 06:24 PM
Superdog3:16
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 723 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy
Exactly!!! ∆∆∆∆∆

Lamsauce (06-14-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 06:49 PM
MyFavRk
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,475 Likes on 3,899 Posts

Congrats and welcome to the forum !! Looks like your head is in the right place . Taking a course is a wise idea , starting off on a smaller bike is a great idea and doing small trips around familiar areas will help you get used to what your bike can do . Spending some time in an empty parking lot can sure help increase your experience , practicing different maneuvers , even after the course . As others have said , Gear up ! Good luck and ride safe .

I started on smaller bikes and worked up to what I have today , and I'm glad I did .

Lamsauce (06-14-2019)

Quick Reply: My First Bike