General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electronic Throttle Control replaces mechanical cables

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 07:43 PM
85FXWG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Electronic Throttle Control replaces mechanical cables

Sounds like a good thing...............

Electronic Throttle Control: A new Electronic Throttle Control replaces mechanical cables on all Touring models. All wiring from the throttle-grip sensor is routed through the handlebars. The ETC enables the easy upgrade to a new cruise control system, and provides a clean custom look in the handlebar area.

First, let's look at the throttle. Instead of throttle cables controlling the fuel injection, an electronic sensor now tells the injectors what your throttle hand is doing on both the Road King and the Ultra Classic Electra Glide CVOs. At first glance, it may sound like added complication. Who needs fly-by-wire on a touring motorcycle?
Actually, it reduces complication, Harley's CVO engineers note. Both the Road King and Ultra Classic come with electronic cruise control, which works more seamlessly with the electronic throttle control than it did with the old throttle cables.
And, there's another advantage to electronic throttle control for a company known for styling. No cables means a cleaner look for the handlebar. The electronic wires run inside the handlebar.

Old 07-12-2007, 07:53 PM
YUCK
Road Warrior
Default RE: Electronic Throttle Control replaces mechanical cables

What happens when u get lit up by lightning,,,or China invades after an EMF pluse...or u get tazered cuz u won't get off your bike,,,,..I'd rather fly by wire,,,,,replace a cable $20.00,,,,replace a throttle sending unit and calibration $500.00......Sounds to me like the start of an ending era....
Response to your edit:
Fly by wire makes it easy for roadside fixes.....
My 69's throttle cable is inside the handlebar.....
Most people love electronic gadgets,,,me not,,,,like to keep it simple,,,,not enough of these spare gadgets laying around yet....EPA is gonna bleed us dry.....

Old 07-12-2007, 08:03 PM
85FXWG
Outstanding HDF Member

The yuppies don't care if itmalfunctions because they won't own it more than 2 years. They will sell it after 2 years with 4500 miles on it and buy the new water cooled Harley and after that they will buy the battery powered Harley.[/align]

Old 07-12-2007, 08:29 PM
YUCK
Road Warrior

Seen a Harley quad,,,,,a Harley inverted trike,,,,,a Harley chainsaw,,,,
how they gonna V-twin the battery bike???

Old 07-12-2007, 08:57 PM
85FXWG
Outstanding HDF Member

I hear ya, next year we will have a water cooled touring bike with
electronic throttle, 6 Gal tanks, air shocks, heated grips, heated seat, GPS
tracking device, MP3 player, CB, Cell phone charger.....Might as well buy a
new car...........I still ride my 25 year old kick start motorcycle. I went to a bike night last month and kick started my bike, a couple guys come over dressed with their leather vests covered in patches, bandanas on, and smoking cigars, they couldn't believe I kick stared the bike, they said they never saw a bike kick started before. I find myself riding alone more often as the years roll on by.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:10 PM
geargrinder
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Having cut my teeth on custom tuningautomotive ETC systems, like then, wish I could be there when the first guys modifytheir ETC bike.For obvious reasons, if the ECM detects something that doesn't like normal, thenservice eng lite, error codes and shut throttle down for limp home mode. More job security and payfor good tuners.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:59 PM
x2lee
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont know of a roadside fix for getting lit up by lightning Yuck,
you been up on the mountain TOOOO long man
ORIGINAL: YUCK

What happens when u get lit up by lightning,,,or China invades after an EMF pluse...or u get tazered cuz u won't get off your bike,,,,..I'd rather fly by wire,,,,,replace a cable $20.00,,,,replace a throttle sending unit and calibration $500.00......Sounds to me like the start of an ending era....
Response to your edit:
Most people love electronic gadgets,,,me not,,,,like to keep it simple,,,,not enough of these spare gadgets laying around yet....EPA is gonna bleed us dry.....

Old 07-12-2007, 10:13 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Aviation has done this for years, yep those planes you ride across the country.

Old 07-12-2007, 10:26 PM
StreetglideOK
Tourer

Diesels have been drive by wire for years now in semis. On the bikes, there still will be a throttle plate or valve of some kind. They still have to regulate airflow, just via an electric motor now. Where the problem will be, is in the wiring. It will basically have a throttle position sensor mounted up on the handlebar instead of on the throttlebody, and the extra wire length is going to make it much more prone to problems. On a car, its much easier to protect the wiring, then on the extreme conditions on a bike. Thats my 2 cents

Old 07-12-2007, 11:08 PM
YUCK
Road Warrior

I've had 5 near misses,,one on the bike,,,I $hit my pants everytime....$ell I even ducked the first time I saw your new sig.....

ORIGINAL: x2lee

I dont know of a roadside fix for getting lit up by lightning Yuck,
you been up on the mountain TOOOO long man
ORIGINAL: YUCK

Response to your edit:

Quick Reply: Electronic Throttle Control replaces mechanical cables