General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After market Soft lower chaps

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2020, 11:38 AM
dave713
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default After market Soft lower chaps

I see a lot of soft lower chaps online.I want get a pair of the cheaper ones in price ,but not the cheapest.Does anyone reccomend any certain brand.I won't use them to much because I live in Florida.Thanks

Old 01-16-2020, 11:51 AM
CaffeineBuzz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,447 Likes on 4,138 Posts

check out the for sale section here, you may find some cheap gently used ones that fit your wants and needs

click here to see the goodies our other members are selling

Old 01-16-2020, 11:57 AM
evotrike
Road Master
Received 476 Likes on 264 Posts

Bought a pair for a c-note from B&B Leather out of Maypearl,Tx. Weren't soft ones, might carry them, but very high quality on all his products and great prices. Has facebook page. Sells at MC rallies and events. Ken

Old 01-16-2020, 12:16 PM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,196 Likes on 1,271 Posts

I have been using these for years: https://www.airlite.ca/index.php

The only problem is that they are just a fuzz too small for my crash bars. These chaps are recommended for riding below 50 degrees only. You gonna ride in Florida below 50 degrees?

carl

Old 01-16-2020, 12:43 PM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,235 Likes on 5,638 Posts

I had a pair of HD ones for my last bike and it said not to use them if the temp was above 50 degrees because they block air flow to the motor. How often would you need them riding around Florida?

Old 01-16-2020, 12:58 PM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,127 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Originally Posted by Bubba Zanetti
I had a pair of HD ones for my last bike and it said not to use them if the temp was above 50 degrees because they block air flow to the motor. How often would you need them riding around Florida?

50 degrees to a Floridian is like 20 below to a normal person.

November, December, January, and February have average lows below 50 degrees. Although the average high in those months is 75 degrees. So which ever soft lower chaps he gets, make sure they go on and off easy.

Old 01-16-2020, 01:02 PM
Drakhen99
Cruiser
Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts

I have the HD ones on my FLHXS and the instructions or web site said you can use them regardless of outside temp. So far, I've ridden between 30 and 70 degrees, bike doesn't seem to notice.

IIRC, they were around $100, and they fit well. My bike has what I think is an oil line running up the left downtube, so I took the buckle off, threaded the strap through, and then reattached the buckle and tightened it up.

-John

Old 01-16-2020, 01:42 PM
Jed Clampett
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,043 Likes on 877 Posts

Amazon has some, 36 bucks

The following users liked this post:
BrandonSmith (01-17-2020)
Old 01-16-2020, 07:20 PM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,620 Likes on 2,094 Posts

I've had a couple pairs over the years and they're very handy and don't take up much room. There are multiple ways I've seen that they can be fastened - snaps, straps with D rings and straps with plastic pinch buckles. Of the three types, I found the pinch buckles the quickest and easiest to put on and take off, especially if you have arthritis in your hands. I only use my hard lowers in early and late in our riding season and soft lowers the rest of the time when needed. They're also very nice to have in the rain

Old 01-17-2020, 08:38 AM
Drakhen99
Cruiser
Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by rizzo
I've had a couple pairs over the years and they're very handy and don't take up much room. There are multiple ways I've seen that they can be fastened - snaps, straps with D rings and straps with plastic pinch buckles. Of the three types, I found the pinch buckles the quickest and easiest to put on and take off, especially if you have arthritis in your hands. I only use my hard lowers in early and late in our riding season and soft lowers the rest of the time when needed. They're also very nice to have in the rain
I agree! I got caught in the rain with mine on in early December, and the bottom half of my legs, including my boots, stayed dry. It was pretty cool.

When you refer to hard lowers, are you talking about the Harley pods that bolt onto the engine guards?

-John

Quick Reply: After market Soft lower chaps