General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

California Aftermarket

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2020, 10:40 AM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 15,122 Likes on 4,755 Posts

Originally Posted by ahern25
I've noticed the same thing. California does not make sense.
IN So Many Ways!!!

Old 04-27-2020, 10:45 AM
Highwaymans
Road Warrior
Received 496 Likes on 332 Posts

PM sent.

👍

The following users liked this post:
23Seven (04-27-2020)
Old 04-27-2020, 10:56 AM
Highwaymans
Road Warrior

Yeah and why most folks split right after retirement.... Geographically best place to be.... Unfortunately the ones running have their heads up their ***.... Could care less of being good neighbors to the V & H, 2 Bros, etc in Cali because of their products being public enemy #1. Nope, just concerned about taxing the **** outta everyone for the ones who prefer not to work or raise 5 kid families on minimum wage.... Eventually be a place where freebie takers fight amongst themselves as the payers are splitting.

Its funny, some manufacturers care about the Cali stuff and some laugh.... I know one manufacturer said F Cali when asked about getting one of their exhausts, laughed and said no problem... Zero ***** given. Also a big reason why their exhausts are on both of my HDs and will be buying a 3rd soon from em for my new build.

Last edited by Highwaymans; 04-27-2020 at 10:57 AM.
Old 04-27-2020, 01:18 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by rossn2
If your on a road trip, try taking your out of state bike, with aftermarket exhaust, in for a oil change Service in Cali...not gonna happen.
I can't remember how much the fine is for the dealership if your bike is caught there...
That possibly is the biggest bunch of BS I've ever read on here. Not only are there heavily modified bikes on the service depts, there are some for sale on the showroom floor. There is no such law. This 2011 Road King is currently for sale at a local dealer. Note the catless Thunderheader. Note: There is a rarely to never enforced law in the vehicle code prohibiting this just as there is in most other states.

Another from the same dealership. These are advertised for sale on their website.

Last edited by dribble; 04-27-2020 at 01:41 PM.
Old 04-27-2020, 01:26 PM
RET_SCPO
Extreme HDF Member

Received 19,650 Likes on 6,279 Posts

When I was living out there I did a set of freedom performance headers and mufflers and their website stated they wouldn't shop to California. I called them and they shipped to my California address. I'm wondering if most places that won't ship to California will ship to California if you just call and place your order over the phone? Seems like on every site I visit to order performance parts they all say "will not ship to California" and this seems to include EPA stamped items such as mufflers....

I miss the weather, I miss the riding, the desert and many of the great people living there but I sure don't miss the taxes, what they're spent on and all the restrictions.

Old 04-27-2020, 01:42 PM
Highwaymans
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by dribble
That possibly is the biggest bunch of BS I've ever read on here. Not only are there heavily modified bikes on the service depts, there are some for sale on the showroom floor. There is no such law. This 2011 Road King is currently for sale at a local dealer. Note the catless Thunderheader. Note: There is a rarely to never enforced law in the vehicle code prohibiting this just as there is in most other states.

That dude was stirring the pot........ Dont let him fool ya. Pure BS....

Theres plenty of modded HDs (like majority of) being worked on every day at HD dealers (and Indies) by people who own em in and LIVE in Cali..... So yes if youre a guy from outta state youre not stuck in no mans land with a bike thats broke or needs service.... Theyll take your money, like everyone else. ****, how many HDs do you think are stock that are parked on the lot by employees? Ummmm all of their bikes are modded too....

Now CARB has been known to run stings where they test dealers to see if they can pay em to mod bikes. Thats a different story and where they get slammed. But bikes modded by someone else isnt an issue for mechanics or shops here. Pure BS.

The following users liked this post:
Buster (04-27-2020)
Old 04-27-2020, 04:09 PM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Received 1,409 Likes on 865 Posts

I also saw quite a few modified Harleys during my time in San Diego. The question I always had was, "How the hell did they get the parts?"

When I was trying to build up my 94 Bagger I looked into buying the S&S V111. I ended up having to locate an S&S dealer in Phoenix who was willing to buy the engine, and then I'd have to drive there to pick it up. Ultimately I ended up building a 106" Evo myself, but getting the crankcase was still a bitch. A very famous place out of Texas ended up helping me in that regard.

Old 04-27-2020, 04:22 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain

For a while, out here. If you traded a bike in to the dealer, they couldn't put it on the showroom floor, unless it had a "legal" exhaust. And they would knock down the value of the trade, if they had to put stock exhaust on. That was around 2011-2015. I have seen bikes on the floor, that now have aftermarket exhausts on them, so I guess, like a lot of this stuff. Its a big deal for the moment, and after a while, they stop looking for it, and the rules calm down a bit, as far as enforcement, anyways.

I have had to ship to Arizona addresses, and have them shipped to me on many occasions in the past, Its one way of beating the rules. But start buying from them on a regular basis, and they will send you anything

Old 04-27-2020, 04:39 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattbastard
I also saw quite a few modified Harleys during my time in San Diego. The question I always had was, "How the hell did they get the parts?"

When I was trying to build up my 94 Bagger I looked into buying the S&S V111. I ended up having to locate an S&S dealer in Phoenix who was willing to buy the engine, and then I'd have to drive there to pick it up. Ultimately I ended up building a 106" Evo myself, but getting the crankcase was still a bitch. A very famous place out of Texas ended up helping me in that regard.
I honestly don't think I've seen an out of warranty Harley in Northern California that wasn't modded.

Old 04-27-2020, 04:50 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain

Originally Posted by dribble
I honestly don't think I've seen an out of warranty Harley in Northern California that wasn't modded.
I did my 09 110 while it was still in warr. Didn't want to wait!!

Quick Reply: California Aftermarket