General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine size and heat

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2024, 06:58 AM
bduds65
Road Master
Received 473 Likes on 299 Posts

Great question. Maybe more heat, maybe not. I have an 02 Wide Glide 88 and a 19 Heritage 114. Honestly I never paid much attention to the difference in terms of engine heat. The only time I really ever notice anything is in stop & go traffic at the beach for our annual long-weekend trek. Yeah a few times over the years it's been hot as ***** and the stop & go traffic was a drag. One time it was like 90 degrees on a newly paved road. That was one do rag not to be worn a second time! On the other hand, there are times on a cool morning or a cool spring or fall day where a little extra heat is a nice welcome. My point is I am not going to spend a bunch of money on some heat shields. I don't anything in my way and that would also be cutting into my beer money.

IMHO engine heat and so-called "wind buffeting" are just inherent factors of riding a motorcycle. I suppose with my height, weight and riding position, I'm lucky enough to not be bothered by either one. But nevertheless, no disrespect, it is a good question to pose here.

Old 03-26-2024, 07:14 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,859 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Originally Posted by bduds65

IMHO engine heat and so-called "wind buffeting" are just inherent factors of riding a motorcycle.e.
Agree. I have never really worried about wind buffeting, maybe if I bought something I would be blown away I didn't do it years ago. Also whenever anyone complains about heat, I ask if their first harley. Though I think there is difference in years for the amount of heat too, and I like a fairing to keep the wind off me.

Old 03-26-2024, 11:19 AM
bduds65
Road Master
Received 473 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Rounders
Agree. I have never really worried about wind buffeting, maybe if I bought something I would be blown away I didn't do it years ago. Also whenever anyone complains about heat, I ask if their first harley. Though I think there is difference in years for the amount of heat too, and I like a fairing to keep the wind off me.
Same. My WG windshield is tall and I have never had any issues with wind. My Heritage windshield is a few inches lower and no problems there either.

The bike I had before was a Honda cruiser with no windshield. The only wind issue there was when I was pushing that 4-speed 600 to go 75 mph. Yeah then I had some wind, but that was the least of my problems in that situation LOL