General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warranty - Silver Powder Coat on Engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 10:41 AM
Dragonsoni
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warranty - Silver Powder Coat on Engine

I have a 2006 Softail Standard bought in August of 06' and has 3000 miles. I keep really good care of it. Everything around the engine looks new, even the black paint is almost swirl less.

The Powder coating is flaking off the inner primary, on the engine base above the transmission and the fin areas look pretty shabby too. I placed my bike with the same motor that was at least a couple years older and my engine looks rough.

I took my bike into the local Harley dealer to look at the paint on the motor. I they proceeded to call Harley for warranty work. I was first toldHarley would cover it and proceeded to order the Chrome Engine Kit to be put onduring the engine Restoration.

Now I am being told Harley might not cover it because I used their Liquid Silver Bead Touch-up Paintdue to they may not be able to see the damage properly. Luckily the paint doesn't do the best job.

Shouldn't this be covered under manufacturer defects under the 2 year warranty, regardless of the cover-up? I believe this has helped to stop further damage.

I have another appointment coming up. I was thinking I would remove the Liquid Silver Bead Touch-up Paint but I think I would be blamed for causing the damage. Ithink it would bebetter leaving it and letting the dealer remove it.

What is the best way toconvince Harleyto cover these defects?

If I can't get them to fix it, what fixes are available that I can do or have an independent shop do?

Old 09-12-2007, 10:44 AM
allengator
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Warranty - Silver Powder Coat on Engine

If there was no defect, you wouldnt need to use the cover up.....
So what, exactly is their argument??

Old 09-12-2007, 11:17 AM
powdercoater
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Warranty - Silver Powder Coat on Engine

Dragonsoni,
There are a few reasons why the powder coating would peel off, butunless you used a chemical to clean those parts that shouldn't be used on "painted surfaces," [see directions label] Harley-Davidson should fix the problem since it was their pit-fall that caused it. Powder coat is a dry paint resin, so if you wouldn't put it on your new gas tank, don't put it on anything powder coated. To powder coat those parts again would mean stripping off all of the old powder and starting over, or they could just replace your existing parts with new.