General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AMA article, very worrisome.

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 06:56 PM
renoa18
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AMA article, very worrisome.

The total problem is not the bike but the rider. The mainstream media will latch onto something and twist it and turn it to their liking. It is just like and assault rifle. The last time I checked a rifle can not assault anyone without some jacka** pulling the trigger. I have seen both sport bike riders and harley riders lay it down and crash from doing something ignorant. The other thing that I can not understand is that everytime I go to a mc rally where are most of the riders? They are at a bar getting drunk and then ridding. That perplexes me that you would do something like this.

Old 11-25-2007, 07:01 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

All they have to do is put a sticker on the bike:

"The AMA has determined that Motorcycle Riding is Hazardous to Your Health"

Then people will stop riding them.

Old 11-25-2007, 07:43 PM
espacef1fan
Cruiser

Haha...yeah a a "part-time" sportbike started it....

The rest of the time I'm a Mustang drag racer and dual sport rider...

Guess I'm on a constant adreniline binge....

on a side note....
Somehow..I love the look of sportsters.....and dont care they arent the fastest things on the road...hmmm..I'm still fioguring this one out...do they put something in there air at HD dealerships..I was in one on Friday..and ever since ..I've beene nvisioning a Black Cherry Sportster in ym driveway(with lots of engine and suspension mods though!!!)

I was just trying to make people aware of this.....this......crap load of crap...
It affects us all...
They ban sportbikes....how long until people are stunting sportsters and vrods? not long probably..lol

Old 11-25-2007, 07:49 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,105 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Ban all politicians all insurance companies and all idiots what ever they ride or drive! I`ve been burned by all of them. Especially insurance companies and idiot drivers.

Old 11-25-2007, 08:05 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: espacef1fan

Haha...yeah a a "part-time" sportbike started it....

The rest of the time I'm a Mustang drag racer and dual sport rider...

Guess I'm on a constant adreniline binge....

I was just trying to make people aware of this.....this......crap load of crap...
It affects us all...
They ban sportbikes....how long until people are stunting sportsters and vrods? not long probably..lol
I hear you,,, I guess you can tell how much I love insurance companies. Harleys have been used for stunts for many, many years,,, long before a sport bike was ever thought of,,, Evel comes to mind andcheck these cats out,,, saw them at the HOG rally in 05 at Chattanooga Tn.,,, best motorcycle stunt show I've ever seen period. http://www.seattlecossacks.com/ O-k back on topic!

Old 11-25-2007, 08:13 PM
espacef1fan
Cruiser

Man if nothing else their bikes are pretty...somewhere on the net there is videos of a sporty doing wheelis and all kinds of stuff....

I also have a link of a Triumph Rocket 3 doing wheelies and stuff too!!!!!

Anyways back on topic..for real this time!

Old 11-25-2007, 08:23 PM
AR_Guy
Tourer

My nephew owns a 2007 CBR600RR rocket bike. It weighs 300 lbs and has 107hp, it is a very fast bike. That said, I ride with him all the time. He behaves himself. I've owned fast cars all my life and can say for sure, it's not the ride, it's the rider.

Old 11-25-2007, 08:43 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: AR_Guy

My nephew owns a 2007 CBR600RR rocket bike. It weighs 300 lbs and has 107hp, it is a very fast bike. That said, I ride with him all the time. He behaves himself. I've owned fast cars all my life and can say for sure, it's not the ride, it's the rider.

I don't know if your nephew is typical or not. I've talked to some crotch rocket bikers, some who have been in accidents, and they admit that the bikes "want" to be driven fast. I tend to be a freedom of choice kind of guy but I have to say if my son were to get a bike I would "prefer" that he got a cruiser or tourerrather than a rocket.

And I think we can all agree from our own observations that rockets are driven in a more "reckless" manner than cruisers. It seems theytypically like to drive ***** to the wall. I rarely see a cruiser or touring bike driving in the same manner. I'm not saying they should be bannedbutI do think the rising death count deservessome discussion.

Old 11-25-2007, 10:32 PM
Marblemania
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 1 Post

It's ALWAYS about the MONEY.
Insurance is the key to our troubles. They want your money but don't want to pay up when something happens.

When is the last time you ever heard of any insurance company with "financial" problems? They make WAY too much profit. How else do you suppose they buy other companies, etc.?
They are like Real Estate people. Pure Greedy A$$holes.

I have been riding and driving for almost 50 years and NEVER turned in a "claim" or received a ticket for anything, yet I pay the same as the jerk that thinks "wheelies" on the freeway are "fun".
[/align]

Old 11-26-2007, 12:11 AM
R1Geezrglide
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Years ago I moved from NC to TX and brought my 98 R1 with me. The full coverage insurance in NC was $907/yr. The same coverage in Harris county (Houston), Texas was between $3800 to $4500yr, depending on the company quoted. The Fair Market Value of the bike was only $8k! At the same time I was told that HD riders had the highest accident rates because they have the highest number of first time riders, but the quotes for my $15k HD was only $650/yr....Figure that one out....I can't.

Quick Reply: AMA article, very worrisome.