General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My best winter purchase........

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 08:25 AM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,434 Likes on 874 Posts
Default RE: My best winter purchase........

ORIGINAL: alame

those heaters are great but they need lots of fresh air, co2 is the big problem, how much can you take before you keel over ?
I worked 2.5 hours yesterday without a problem but I didn't keep it on continuosly as it gets to hot. And after working for a while my body warms up naturally. I'll leave the door or side window open a bit just in case.

Old 12-30-2007, 09:18 AM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

sick bastads..!!!
best winter purchase is a 3 month condo rental on the gulf of mexico somewheres!!!!

Old 12-30-2007, 09:20 AM
Geoseismic
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use the dish style that mounts on top of the propane tank. Perfect for a two car Harley garage, however I never operate it with the garage door closed. CO will take you out without you knowing it. Not worth the risk. With the dish style, it will radiat enough heat to keep me comfortable while working on the bikes.

Old 12-30-2007, 09:33 AM
cardoctor
Road Captain

just bought one for my shop to take out the morning chill. works great alittle loud but its better than freezing . just remember alot of shops have burnt down from heaters and gasoline fumes

JR

Old 12-30-2007, 10:26 AM
da_big_Guy
Cruiser

I have one of the kerosene heaters like this, it's the only way I can work in my garage in the winter. My ancientgarage has enough ventilation (leaks!) that I don't worry about it. I've used it for 12+ hour long workdays out there with no (apparent) ill effects. The only downfall is that it won't heat up frozen tools or the flooronce it has dropped into the 20's or lower so at that pointI just wait for warmer weather. I sure wish now that I'd put heating elements in the floor when I poured it...

Old 12-30-2007, 11:09 AM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: metal_mike

ive been considering something like this for my garage... but w/ 3 bikes i'm a bit concerned w/ venting gas caps...wifey just hates when i blow up the garage

am i just "overly concerned"?
Sounds a bit like something Grandpa Munster would do!!!

Old 12-30-2007, 12:08 PM
mwdguy
Cruiser

You guys are crazy if you are running those without good ventilation.

I put this in my garage. I run it about 5 degreees above freezing, then if I want to do some work in the garage i just hit the thermostat and it warms it up in a hurry.

Old 12-30-2007, 03:31 PM
JBA111
Road Captain

I use both the fanforced space heaters for the morning quick warm up and then turn it off and run the dish typr burner propane heater after that.
The space heaters blow out so much heat thatthe fuelis not 100% burne and you get fumes. After awhile these can cause headaches and such. so just use them to warm the cold space up. Then the Dish type propane heaters burn almost completely and you can run them for hours to maintain warmth.
Or just use the propane dish type. they have a duel burner one that is really good. It heats up faster than the singel burner and once warn you can cut one burner off and can adjust the other burner from hi to low. So the heat band is really good.. Bad point is you have to use match ect to light them. They are cheap. a Single is like 16 bucks and a double burner is 29 and then you will need a tank.