General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok, it's OT but... : what about Royal Enfield?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 11:08 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts
Default RE: Ok, it's OT but... : what about Royal Enfield?

Not only are they still in business, but have expanded their models being sold in India to the masses.

http://www.royalenfield.com/app/IN/Products.asp

Some improvements have been disc brakes and cv carbs on some models. But if you check the specs, you will find other interesting things, such as 35 watt headlights, and low compression motors to deal with low grade fuel.

Here's the export bikes, that must meet our specs. They just introduced efi and unit construction engines.

http://www.royalenfield.com/app/IN/news.asp?sID=17055

Old 01-09-2008, 11:10 PM
BadBoyFLSTC
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saw these guys at the River Run in 2000. Looked like they hadn't changed style since the 50's.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:28 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I have an enfield!!! a 500 bullet... that single sounds sick... i have the cafe kit done up on it... slow as crap but looks awesome!!! one of those bikes you have to fiddle with the whole time you ride to keep it running but a ton of fun! i would not sugest this bike if you do not have mechanic abilities... have a buddy that rides his full time... makes the trip all through FL with us every year, over 8 hrs a day on it... rattles his senceless! mine has a SINGLE mukumi carb

Old 01-10-2008, 05:26 AM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a website with some Royal Enfield user reviews. They get pretty bad marks compared to what other brands get.

http://www.powersportsnetwork.com/en...=Royal+Enfield

Old 01-10-2008, 07:01 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dorkman
If you are mechanically inclined and like to tinker, and would enjoy owning a classic, go for it. I would research parts and maintence info as well.
Reminds me of my dirtbike days.I had a '75 Maico(Maico breako)450 and a buddy had a Bultaco Pursang.Seems like we spent more time working on these things than riding!Parts were hard to get also.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:12 AM
Mikey 1450
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I really like the look, it would be a fun bike to rideshort distances. Carburator, drum brakes, points, what else could you want! I would have to get aperformance muffler so I can stay in group B.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:13 AM
bobbyg12
Cruiser

They had several R-E's at the IMS in Novi, MI this past weekend. They looked just like the vintage ones but are all new. The display was by the group that imports them to the US.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:10 AM
BWLucky13
Road Master

OK, I'm a nostalgia fool. The Enfield is a reasonable duplicate of the old original--warts and all. It has its' fans, but I would rather buy a restored classic. There are so many fantastic classic British bikes that are stunning. Better yet, get a modern classic: modern technology withold style beauty and simplicity.

If you want to enjoythe classics, why not get a new one: Sportster, Ducati 1000 GT, Triumph Speedmaster. These bikes make grown men weep with their style, comfort, and performance. But, if you really want to punish yourself with an old school classic, get a Ural with sidecar (read that as 1939 BMW). You might be buying some headaches, but there will be an adoring crowd everywhere you go.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:08 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

OK, I'm a nostalgia fool. The Enfield is a reasonable duplicate of the old original--warts and all.

They are not a duplicate. These are the original Enfields, evolving over more than a century. Unlike the other British bikes, these have been in continuous production since 1892, and at one timemerged withthe Indian marque, and produced a bike known as the Enfield Indian.

During WWII they produced a small collapsible bike that dropped with parachutists to give them instant mobility.

http://www.royalenfield.com/app/IN/company/History.asp

Old 01-10-2008, 07:03 PM
Mac57
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Royal Enfield had a display at the International Motorcycle Show in New York City back in January '07. I fell in love with them. Only one dealer within 2 hours of my area though, so I did not do any shopping. However, they were NOT at the lastshow this past December. I guess that one dealer gave up on the brand. Beautiful bikes though.

Quick Reply: Ok, it's OT but... : what about Royal Enfield?