General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EVO or TC88 ??? Which is better?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 01:45 PM
smudge
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: EVO or TC88 ??? Which is better?

The only gripe I have with my EVO is that living in the mountains I can never get the carb set up perfect for the varying altitudes. Set it up to run fine in the vallies and it hiccups in the mountains, and vice versa. I like it because it's easy to work on and ultra reliable.

Old 03-06-2008, 02:33 PM
harleydude68
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: thinblueline54

I have a 2001 Road King FLHRI and have found a 99 Softail with the springer front at asteal with only 6k miles. So I am torn between fuel injected TC88 or the old evolution carb. Help!!
I had a 1986 FXR with a 80ci EVO that went 60,000 miles when I sold her. and still running strong. I was running a S&S shorty "E" carb. For me plenty of power and the carb was a simple as it gets. I can't say that I am the most mechanically inclined type of person but I was able to install the carb myself and got it tuned in pretty well.

I bought my 06 RKC with fuel injected tc88 (besides the obvious differences of course ) but I chose the injected because of the ease of starting the bike (no choke, no having to wait for the bike to warm upso it won't stall which is what you have to do with a carb. (I still let the engine warm up before I take off BTW)

Man if you like the bike and it's the right price - go for it!! JMHO

Old 03-06-2008, 02:41 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I thought '99 was the first year of the TC?

Old 03-06-2008, 04:32 PM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

1999 was first year for the Twin Cam A, but the Softails still came with evos. Softails switched to the Twin Cam B in 2000.

Old 03-06-2008, 04:50 PM
ChiefGator
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Da Gumpmeister

ORIGINAL: Harley_Dude

ORIGINAL: rizzo

Something to consider is how long HD will support your model? Planned obsolesence creeps into the picture as the bikes add more electronics to the package and our bikes become older.The cruise module for my '94 is no longer available along with some other parts. One of my buddies had a hard time finding parts for his '96 fuelie.

What do we do when the parts well runs dry ? It's frustrating in some ways that you can buy nearly any part needed for a '94 Ford or Chev but not for a Harley.
Buddy's got a 2004 with obsolete parts already. HD does not carry parts anymore, get used to it.
This is pure speculation and conjecture on my part, but I believe, that as parts get more and more difficult to acquire, I'LL GET SOME GREAT DEALS!!!!
No, J/K Just like pans and shovels, the after market manuf. will step into the pic, and begin producing the parts. There are way too many scoots out there for them to miss out on that cash cow. The downside is, it takes a few years for them to get it all up and running. If you can keep things going til then, I believe parts will be available. We went thru it with pans, and then shovels. Now EVO's are in that gray zone. But, that's just MFUO. GUMBY
I ride a Shovel. I never have any problem getting parts. With the exception of the ones that are "model specific". I still can get them fairly easily.

Evo's were around for too long for the parts market to dry up.

Old 06-28-2008, 07:47 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I just had to correct the notion that Twin Cams are smoother than Evos.&nbsp\\; Twin Cams in touring bikes and Dynas vibrate just as much as Evos or Shovels or any other 45 degree unbalanced V-Twin.&nbsp\\; In fact they vibrate more, because the Evos had the superior three point rubber mounts.

Old 06-28-2008, 08:06 PM
wbogley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I would say twinkys are better, but I have seen some real nice EVOs for $6,000 or so...they are great bikes for the price.

Old 06-29-2008, 06:39 AM
Cactus_FTW
Road Captain

mp .... you went searching for this one&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; hahahaha

Old 06-29-2008, 11:15 AM
mulch63
Road Master

I have a '98 EVO (wife's) and a 96"TC. Had an 88 up until recent. Definate more vibration on the Softail EVO then the TC. I also think the STOCK EVO didn't have the same response as the TC88. I could smoke the EVO, STOCK. Both had carbs. The new TC96 is my first fuel injected bike and I love the starting however a fine tuned carb S&amp\\;\\\\\\;S, Mikuni or stock carb will start every bit as good. Its all about choice.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
I will metion though that my wife's EVO with a cam and punched out a bit..... really sounds sweeeet with the Samsons on there. It LOPES PERFECTLY to. Gotta love that sound.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
jim

Old 06-29-2008, 05:58 PM
marthared
Cruiser

Have both in your stable &nbsp\\; :........

Quick Reply: EVO or TC88 ??? Which is better?