General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Posting Advise: Please Read

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 11:01 PM
Jumpman
Road Warrior
Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Posting Advise: Please Read

Hey all,

I'm not trying to be a dick or anything. I just wanted to take a moment and point-out something.

I've noticed in the last few days that quite a few people are posting the same questions in multiple area's of the technical forums. I understand that you are just looking to get more exposure and looking to get your questions answered quickly. This causes a few issues for those of us that are trying to offer help.

I, for one, like to follow-up on any technical assistance that I offer. If the same question is being asked in several area's of the forum - it makes it VERY difficult to go back & forth to see what info has already been shared, and what replies were to that information. It also creates situations where the same info is being shared by multiple people, but in different threads. Lastly, it takes away from information sharing, as sometimes in an effort to answer the question - further discussion (by people who have the answers) leads to a better 'end product'.

If it's not too much to ask - post your question once, and put it in the Technical Forum that matches your need. There are guys who know all about motors and they WILL check the engine forum. Some us know chassis/frame/drivetrain, and we also DO check that forum. Same goes for all of the other Technical Forums. You will most likely get better answers, as you are pulling from a bigger pool of knowledge - for example: If you have a question about 'cams' and you post it in the Softtail forum - you are (almost) automatically excluding advice from anyone who owns a touring bike as they don't typically check that section. Same goes for many other subjects that cross boundries on our bikes.

Secondly - use the search feature. If you are asking the question, there is a 99% chance that someone has already asked it. Be proactive. Don't always look for the 'easy button'.

Finally - use the PM (private message). If you have searched, you will most likely have seen one or two members who kinda stand-out as 'experts' on the subject you have questions about. Click on their profile, check to make sure they are still active, and ask them a question personally. It is a good way to get to know someone one-on-one and share ideas. You also have a better chance of getting detailed answers.

I could go on...but I think I made my point. There are a LOT of people here who are willing to share information... Be smart about trying to get help and EVERYONE will benefit from the knowledge that is out here.

Thanks.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:04 PM
dynamike74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Posting Advise: Please Read

Dude,

That's exactly why I got so pizzed over that guy asking about those pipes when the answer was right in front of him.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:15 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Great thread and post, Jumpman.
+1

Old 03-23-2008, 11:36 PM
Bluetoys
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AND, if it isnt too much to ask...
Proofread what you have typed before you hit OK. Add that extra period or comma, if needed. Take the time to spell the words correctly. If you are (not your) trying to make a point, add a smiley so the guy you're (not your) replying to sees that you are joking. Try not to make an entire post be one sentence. Not sure if it is spelled correctly? Type it into google and hit enter, it will usually ask you if you are looking for ... and it is usually spelled correctly.
MODS: would it be possible to have the spellcheck feature added to the reply box?

Old 03-23-2008, 11:40 PM
SpeedsterX
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice post Jumpman!

I see a future Mod in traiiiiiiiiiining!!!!?????

Old 03-23-2008, 11:47 PM
dynamike74
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Bluetoys

AND, if it isnt too much to ask...
Proofread what you have typed before you hit OK. Add that extra period or comma, if needed. Take the time to spell the words correctly. If you are (not your) trying to make a point, add a smiley so the guy you're (not your) replying to sees that you are joking. Try not to make an entire post be one sentence. Not sure if it is spelled correctly? Type it into google and hit enter, it will usually ask you if you are looking for ... and it is usually spelled correctly.
MODS: would it be possible to have the spellcheck feature added to the reply box?
I use Firefox and there's an addon to spell check for me. It runs on the fly, just like MS Word only in the text box.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:50 PM
dynamike74
Outstanding HDF Member

How 'bout a little netiquette too?

TYPING IN ALL CAPS IS HARD TO READ & should only be used when making a point. It's netiquette for yelling.

Old 03-24-2008, 12:37 AM
Kolni
Banned
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks dad.........but it is the long assed links that REALLY drive me nuts!

Old 03-24-2008, 12:44 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I guess I better go back to college and take english again so I don't offend anyone....heaven help us all if I mis-spell a word (is **** two 'n's or one?).......other than that, I agree with you.

Old 03-24-2008, 12:44 AM
joel85
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

People are way too sensitive on here. I know we all get tired of seeing 400 oil and pipe threads a day but come on, the hdforums search function isn't exactly the best. Searching may help with some things but if you have a specific question about an application you are trying to do it may not help at all.

On a side note. Is that a man in your sig pic on the mag cover Mike? I think I saw her on a sex change Maury episode once.

Quick Reply: Posting Advise: Please Read