General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

got in a fight with my pops wrenching on my harley

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 12:55 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: got in a fight with my pops wrenching on my harley

Dude, my dad live 200 miles away from me. I wish I could just call him to come hangout and play solitaire on my computer. I call him on the phone twice a week a least just to talk. We don't talk about politics since he is a little left and I am a little right. Maybe you and you dad should not attempt wiring a front-end together, especially if neither of you know what you are doing.

Old 04-07-2008, 01:02 PM
Dragon Rider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My old man been dead for 19 yrs, QYB. Wish I could have the hard head to help me with a project. Miss it, even if we were like Paul and Jr, with some Mikey mixed in.

Old 04-07-2008, 01:05 PM
sporty2003
Outstanding HDF Member

i think you both could have done alittle better. but i agree some day he wont be there. yea i know all about the B.S. but i would love just to hear my dad's B.S.but he's been gone for 29 years.and the man was right about so much to this day i cant belive how he knew so much. but i guess it dont matter now.

Old 04-07-2008, 01:09 PM
hoosierhog88
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jerry! Jerry! Jerry!

Old 04-07-2008, 01:18 PM
cray49a
Road Master

HA HA that's funny! My Dad has long past but I get a real kick out of telling my nephew (who is riding my old bike) that he doesn't know ***t! (I don't either but that doesn't stop me). It's the old guy syndrome. If you don't know,act like you do!

Never let anyone help you wrench! I got my finger put through the belt sproket a month ago when 3 of myfriends wanted tohelp put my wheels on after a re-tire. I ran over a nail 210 miles later and re-tired the rear again. I did it myself and it took me about half the time without any blood.

Old 04-07-2008, 01:29 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I am **** retentive/perfectionist, Dad was a 'WTF, as long as it works' sort of guy. Needless to say, we never 'worked' on projects like that together. But we did a lot of chit together. He rode HD's in the 30's and 40's, and when I showed up in the drive with my 'new' 71 450 Honda, his comment was, "Where the h*ll are the floorboards. That ain't no motorcycle" So, we could have spent a lifetime butting heads. BUT the trick is finding the 'common ground'. And don't have to add to the list, but he won't be there forever.
Look below the motor of the panhead, there is a small cowbell riding bell. Dad gave me that in the 70's when I came back from the service. Again, we didn't always see eye to eye, in fact, had it out once or twice (verbally), but he died a very dear friend to me, and me to him. And "EVERY" time that pan fires up and heads down the road, that tough ol' stubborn German is riding shotgun, and I know he just LOVES the chit out of it. EVEN without 'floorboards' And I happen to reallyLOVE the chit out of it,myself.
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/g...r/PICT0950.jpg

Old 04-07-2008, 01:32 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Yikes you two have some issues but who knows what the background of it all is, so won't pass judgement on either of you with no info to base it on...

Your dad sounds like his reaction was way out of line - going off half-cocked without asking if perhaps you'd already finished the first job. Sounds like you two should avoid such projects together generally speaking!

Old 04-07-2008, 01:56 PM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I take it that you didn't follow your father into the engineering profession. He's probably still pissed about that. Engineers can be overbearing at times and tend to look down on non-engineers.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:29 PM
big_al
Elite HDF Member

Dad was in a pissy mood!!!!!

Did you get the wiring done correctly?

I am sure plenty here can help you,,,

Old 04-07-2008, 03:52 PM
Nevar
Stellar HDF Member

With respect to all who posted
I had a few run ins with My Dad aka the "Admiral" as he was called by me and his friends
[Note at 82 he was oldest active member of the USCGA on the east coast] man was he ever a pain in the azz. He would do his best to help when I was into Off Shore Power Boat preformance
sometimes he screwed it up, yet once in a while he would come up with a great idea.
He never lived long enough to see me on my Glide. He rode in WW II Army. No idea what unit.
What I would Not give to hear his voice just once more Saying
"Hey sport ya screwed up " then see the smile on his face knowing he got to me.
Thanks.

Quick Reply: got in a fight with my pops wrenching on my harley