General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SYN VS REG OIL??

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 08:20 PM
Lincoln33
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SYN VS REG OIL??

Mobile 1 Syn and change it every 4000, works for me.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:33 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Synthetic oil is far superior to petroleum oil. It runs cooler, has a far higher flash point which means it developes far less sludge and acid, and is a far superior lubricatant. After reading an article about it, written by a guy who wrote an entire book about the two oils, I wouldn't use anything else.
http://www.thefirstsyntheticoil.com/motor-oil-comparison.html

Old 04-22-2008, 08:36 PM
olemiss8
Intermediate

if you guys can remeber, HD did not recommend to use SYN oil in there bikes until they came out with there own. if you change your oil when you should there no reason to use syn oil. Does 5 degrees cooler really mean that much?

Old 04-22-2008, 08:50 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

First lets understand that oil coolers will work standing still. They provide additional surface area for the heat to radiate off. Any one with hot water radiators in their homes know that the heat comes off of them. Of course oil coolers will work even better with more air flow. Next a 20 50 syn oil is the same viscosity as regular 20 50. Syn starts with regular oil and modifies the molecules so that they are all the same size. This reduces friction which lowers wear and with less friction there is a little less heat.

Standing in the slow/stopped cross town traffic by main st in Daytona my 07 Softail Custom with oil cooler and syn oil never went over 215 degrees.

Change the oil at the manufactures reccommended mileage. The v-twin will run many miles before overhaul with either type oil. Is the slight advantage the syn has worth the extra cost? I don't know. But I feel better with syn in my Harley just like my Dodge Ram and Vette.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:57 PM
Geoseismic
Road Captain

Dino oil here. Synthetic oil was developed for use in high RPM gas turbine engines, not internal combustion engines. Because of synthetics high flash point, it does not combust well in combustion engines. Since your reciprocating engine allows a small amount of oil to pass by the compression rings on each stroke, oil is burned in the cylinder, unless you use synthetic, in which case you build a ridge of unburned synthetic oil in the combustion chamber that grows over time. This ridge will raise your compression pressure until the piston rings can no longer withstand the pressure, and blow by occurs. excessive compression pressure puts undueforce on connecting rod and crankshaft bearings accelerating bearing wear. Synthetic in an internal combustion engine is a recipie for premature engine failure. Don't do it!!! Could there be a reason that most internal combustion engine manufacturers use dino oil? Do your homework and don't believe the uneducated synthetic enthusiests!

Old 04-22-2008, 09:05 PM
Dixie Dreg
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I switched to Amsoil at 13K. Immediately my engine ran smoother, got quieter, and felt like it had more HP. I am switching to Amsoil in both my cars, it is that good.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:16 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Then why is it standard equipment in some of the finest cars such as Corvette, Ferarri, Aston Martin, and BMW? Can you show me proof of your statements? Everything I've read, every article, has shown synthetic oil is far superior to petroleum oil.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:16 PM
Geoseismic
Road Captain

switched to Amsoil at 13K. Immediately my engine ran smoother, got quieter, and felt like it had more HP. I am switching to Amsoil in both my cars, it is that good.
That increased power is due to the increased compression pressure. Read my previous post. Some people never learn!

Old 04-22-2008, 09:21 PM
landest
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Geoseismic

Dino oil here. Synthetic oil was developed for use in high RPM gas turbine engines, not internal combustion engines. Because of synthetics high flash point, it does not combust well in combustion engines. Since your reciprocating engine allows a small amount of oil to pass by the compression rings on each stroke, oil is burned in the cylinder, unless you use synthetic, in which case you build a ridge of unburned synthetic oil in the combustion chamber that grows over time. This ridge will raise your compression pressure until the piston rings can no longer withstand the pressure, and blow by occurs. excessive compression pressure puts undueforce on connecting rod and crankshaft bearings accelerating bearing wear. Synthetic in an internal combustion engine is a recipie for premature engine failure. Don't do it!!! Could there be a reason that most internal combustion engine manufacturers use dino oil? Do your homework and don't believe the uneducated synthetic enthusiests!
You got a reference to an article\Test report that supports this argument. Not being a smart a$$, just would like to look it over.

Thanks

Old 04-22-2008, 09:24 PM
Geoseismic
Road Captain

I switched to Amsoil at 13K. Immediately my engine ran smoother, got quieter, and felt like it had more HP. I am switching to Amsoil in both my cars, it is that good.
All I can tell you is that after 20 years of tearing down and rebuilding engines, that is what I have observed. Engines running on synthetic oil normally suffer catastrophic failure, meaning they throw a rod into the block or burn a piston, and cannot be rebuilt. Dino oil can produce the same symptoms, but only with extreme mileage.

Quick Reply: SYN VS REG OIL??