General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad HD Service Experience

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 11:00 PM
Moonfish
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad HD Service Experience

OK, so I took my new bike (2008 FLHRC) in for it's 1000 mile service this past week to HD of North Texas. I picked it up Wednesday and drove it home. I go out this evening to do a pre-ride check and find it's dripping oil from two separate places. The first thing I do is check the oil level to make sure I didn't dump it all out on the ride home. My second surprise was to find that the oil is way over filled... it's above the full mark. The owners manual says cold level should read between Add and Full. I'm really fuming at this point... paying premium prices at the dealership for sloppy work. Not to mention I was already peeved about oil on my foot boards and a few new marks on my saddlebags (they had to replace the rear tire).

What kind of damage can be done driving your bike with too much oil? Has anyone else had problems with HD of North Texas' service department? How would you handle this situation?

Thanks,
Moonfish

Old 06-13-2008, 11:10 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts
Default RE: Bad HD Service Experience

That' why I always get a service manual and do all my own.&nbsp\\; Ofcouse I keep a log with receipts and digital pictures of the process for later warranty needs it any.&nbsp\\; I only have 3 months to go on the 07 FXSTC warranty so it won't be a problem.

I do every thing that the schedule calls for at each service.&nbsp\\; I think that only a RARE dealer does that.

Old 06-13-2008, 11:17 PM
tnelsmn
Advanced

Found mine dripping oil after the 1000 mile service. Just a small puddle once and noting else. But they are taking care of me a a warranty issue with cracking chrome on my front wheel. You would think that paying 350 for an oil change that it would be top notch!

Old 06-13-2008, 11:23 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

You have a rag to wipe it off? Chuck it up to experience

Old 06-13-2008, 11:43 PM
Moonfish
6th Gear

ORIGINAL: lh4x4

That' why I always get a service manual and do all my own.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Ofcouse I keep a log with receipts and digital pictures of the process for later warranty needs it any.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I only have 3 months to go on the 07 FXSTC warranty so it won't be a problem.

I do every thing that the schedule calls for at each service.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I think that only a RARE dealer does that.
I'm convinced now that this is the right approach.

Old 06-13-2008, 11:47 PM
Moonfish
6th Gear

ORIGINAL: schumacher

You have a rag to wipe it off? Chuck it up to experience
So no worries about engine/seal damage?

Old 06-14-2008, 12:16 AM
skiahh
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why in the hell would you HAVE to replace a rear tire at 1000 miles?&nbsp\\; I hope they covered it under warranty!

Old 06-14-2008, 12:37 AM
Tralfaz
Road Master

Had my 1K on a Springer Classic done at HD of North Texas and they seemed to do an decent job.&nbsp\\; The only thing was finding a bit of grease or oil around top of the engine guard.&nbsp\\; I assumed it was due to some lubrication they did on the front forks.&nbsp\\; The oil level, however, seemed fine.

Old 06-14-2008, 01:19 AM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

I would take it right back and complain to the service manager or owner and have them make sure the correct oil and correct amount is put in there and have them also clean the oil off the bike. Have them document this incident in case of future warranty questions.
&nbsp\\;
Was the bike on the kick stand when you checked the oil level? This makes a difference.
&nbsp\\;
Good luck.

Old 06-14-2008, 03:18 AM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts

Ditto, Do it yourself. It's extremely easy,fun even!

Quick Reply: Bad HD Service Experience