General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang solo and rear seat review

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 05:51 PM
brokebolt
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mustang solo and rear seat review

I bought a new Mustang seat for my 2007 H-D Dyna FXDB Street Bob. The Mustang Vintage Wide solo...being a larger than average fellow (deuce and a half), this seat was sellected to aid the posterior in long rides. The stock seat was like a spoon, nice at first but pressure points after about an hour in the saddle. Also the old stocker felt like I was going to be ejected off the back when twisting the right wrist...very unnerving feeling. I ordered mine with no back rest and no chonchos...plain just like the bike. It doesn't look out of place on the bike either, a very compliamentary look. The seat is much wider than stock and much more comfortable. The back of the solo seat has a lip that gives relief to the back side and support during hard acceleration. The padding isn't super spongy, which I was afraid it would be, but more like a European automobile seat, firm support that is cut to provide comfort with just the right amout of padding to absorb the bumps. I didn't notice any change in rider height over stock which was great, cuase I didn't want to feel like I was reaching down on the bars, and touching the ground is also nice. Also when standing the seat doesn't feel like it is pressing hard on the legs so it is still narrow enough for those who stand for long periods of time at traffic lights, waiting for the light to turn green...and waiting...and waiting...and waiting...

I did order the matching rear seat for the wife to tag along to the store or around town. Don't think she would be up for a 1k road trip on the back though. The rear seat is a Mustang Vintage Wide solo and matches the front solo seat really well. It is cut flat and flairs out on the sides to provide a much wider surface to sit on. Not contured like the front but with a sissy bar, it would be great for short trips, loading cargo like a cooler full of cold beer...ok maybe not a cooler but a backpack perhaps. The rear seat came with a genuine H-D rear seat nut kit at no additional cost and was provided by the company. The company also provided a chromed spacer and longer allen hex head chromed bolt that allows you to put the rear front tougue into the rear of the front saddle, like a tongue and groove. Also when the rear is removed the front solo seat goove spacer remains in place and doesn't look odd or out of place. The rear seat screw mount, however does need a nice looking bolt to keep the peepers happy. The stock phillips head one I used will work fine for now.

Both seats have bump stoppers to contact the rear fender in specific locations to help stabilize the seat, but unlike the stocker the seat seems to be more ridged in it's construction (maybe just new purchase bias). The top material is vinyl like the stocker but has a leather type grain in it and rider comfort should be the same in requards to breathability of the material and similiar cleaning agents could be used. The stocker has ribs along the length of it where the new Mustang seat doesn't have any fancies on the front solo seat, except to say the lower edge is doubled up with a braided outer edge to give a more finished look. The rear has a design on the top to break up the flat surface. The company logo is embossed on the front solo seat just below the tank. When both seats are installed together, the rear seat provides a bit more to the solo seat lip...about two inches high and six inches wide or so.

I ordered a catalog on-line and recieved it in only a few days with a coupon sticker for $1.00 shipping on the first order over $100.00. Not hard to spend a bill on a new seat from them. I ordered it over the phone, very friendly and shipping was fast, like 7 days from date or order. I think I'll be ordering the Vintage Wide set back, back rest as soon as the sissy bar parts come in. I ordered a H-D bar and shield logoed small one but I think the matching Mustang Vintage Wide pad would be better suited. Wide like the rear seat for easy of strapping a backpack too...oh and passanger comfort too...when thier is one.

Worth the cash you ask?

Taking a trip to Las Vegas from Sacramento, so I'll post a follow up review here on this post and let you know. The old stocker is going to be up for sale soon.

Old 07-04-2008, 09:26 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,011 Likes on 576 Posts
Default RE: Mustang solo and rear seat review

I clicked this expecting a review, only got sorta of a preview..
&nbsp\\;
Anyway, don't be too fast selling your stocker, you might want to wait until you get a few miles on the new one.
I tried the Mustang Solo on my EG, and wasn't happy at all, and ended up selling the seat here on the forum.
To me, the Mustang solo was like riding on a flat board, or park bench covered with foam.
The seat was actually too wide at the nose for me, and ended up cutting of the circulation in my left leg on the first trip I took.
My leg was getting a charlie horse from the nose of the seat being so wide.
I actually had to stop several times on the first ride, to get off and stretch the leg, it was just in an awful position
from the seat. OK, I thought I would give it a chance, and tried it for several other rides, but it got no better at all.
I tried moving up to decrease the way the edge of the seat cut into my thigh, but then I was sitting almost on the tank!
I hope you have better luck than I did with my Mustang.
I was psyched when I first mounted it on the bike, but after the first ride, my enthusiasm turned to disgust.
I now have a Corbin Classic Solo that I had them make with softer foam then the stock Corbins, sometimes the stock foam
they use is pretty damn hard, but mine is much softer, not too soft, but just right.
&nbsp\\;
I wish you luck with you purchase, and if you bought it right from Mustang, they will take it back, if it
was from a discounter, sell it on here.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-05-2008, 12:47 AM
Bowtieman31
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ragtop, sorry to hear about your bad experience with the Mustang seat. Brokebolt, I've owned three Harleys and I've had a Mustang seat on each one. I've used the 17.5" wide touring seat on my Low Rider and both of my Heritages. I just got done with a coast to coast ride, (Sacramento to Key West), and a trip to Calgary. In the last 40 days, I rolled up 10,670 miles. All of them on my '07 Heritage with the Mustang seat. I've ridden well over 100K miles and I wouldn't use any other brand.&nbsp\\;Good luck and let us know how you like it.

Old 07-05-2008, 05:57 AM
Walkonwater
Cruiser

Sorry to hear you didn't like it.
Removed my stocker and installed the Mustang solo and haven't looked back.
I find the solo to be very comfortable, $150+ cheaper than the Corbin and the very rear part of the seat that comes up to the backside of my butt feels like it is spring loaded when I crack the throttle..Though my longest road trip is 5 hrs, I have&nbsp\\; no complaints.

Old 07-05-2008, 10:46 PM
Frankster69
Tourer

I&nbsp\\;got &nbsp\\;my Mustang seat 2 yrs ago and I just love it . Wife loves it also&nbsp\\;

Old 07-06-2008, 12:27 AM
BACKRUB69
Banned

I am looking to buy a new seat, and the Mustang is high on the list. Thanks for the info.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; leta

Old 07-06-2008, 12:50 AM
tail11
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm on my second mustang seat and my back thanks me everytime I start up the bike.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

[IMG]local://upfiles/13603/2F8E2FC6A1D747CA899F5C35AF01F3ED.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-06-2008, 02:36 AM
arnold
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I found this one-75531 used at Eagle HD rentals for a buck-fifty, my 08 Bob calls for-75480-

Im hoping it will fit. I have an 05 stock Wide Glide seat on now so just because they say they dont fit doesnt mean a lot sometimes, I can try it before I buy it.

I called Mustang and they say it wont fir but I suspect they would rather see me buy a new one for $450 bucks from them as oposed to a used one for $150.
Im kind of concerned it will set me up too high for my feet flat foot but my upholsterer says he can cut it down if needed

Old 07-06-2008, 01:47 PM
vertigo14
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

hated the mustang vintage solo... what a pile of dung

craptastic way of mounting, craptastic fit (big gap to tank), craptastic materal used in finish, craptastic forward seating..didnt feel right at all

comfort is only in removing it and selling it

Old 01-13-2009, 01:57 PM
brokebolt
Intermediate
Talking Follow up as promised.

This seat is absolutely the best investment for long trips, that and highway pegs and a wind screen. As stated the seat does has a larger gap between the tank and the seat but doesn't look out of place unless you are used to seeing a tighter fit. The seat is very comfortable for long periods. Haven't seen any wear unlike the stocker did and I have twice as many miles on this seat as compared to the stocker. I can empty a tank without complaint and still want to ride more. Beats sitting at a office desk for 8 hours anyway...I think we can all agree on that one.

Quick Reply: Mustang solo and rear seat review