General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad experiance at Whitt' HD In Manassas VA

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 04:07 PM
redman53
Elite HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tom, glad to see your taking the high road....people can be so crasssssssss LOL
I put a windshield on my 07 Dyna for long rides and ...you guessed it..I still get some head buffeting...seems to be a problem with wind coming up from under the bottom edge of the shield , lowers would probably help, but I don't like the look of them, so I will deal with it. Try this next time you ride, hold your arm across your chest and see if the buffeting subsides any, that will tell you if it coming from underneath,if in fact that does help checks out Jacks Aero Vest, supposedly it helps in this situation also. I hope some of this info is a help to you....as far as the big girl panties go...maybe one of those guys will loan your a pair of theirs....

Old 08-29-2008, 05:14 PM
anderstj0mills
Novice

Originally Posted by redman53
Tom, glad to see your taking the high road....people can be so crasssssssss LOL
I put a windshield on my 07 Dyna for long rides and ...you guessed it..I still get some head buffeting...seems to be a problem with wind coming up from under the bottom edge of the shield , lowers would probably help, but I don't like the look of them, so I will deal with it. Try this next time you ride, hold your arm across your chest and see if the buffeting subsides any, that will tell you if it coming from underneath,if in fact that does help checks out Jacks Aero Vest, supposedly it helps in this situation also. I hope some of this info is a help to you....as far as the big girl panties go...maybe one of those guys will loan your a pair of theirs....
Thank you for the advice Sir!! I will check out the vest as soon as I get back home. Im going to fab my own lowers out of 14Ga stainless. I plan to build them big and then cut down ao find a sweet spot. Ill have to build a second set once I get it right but it may be worth the trouble.

Thanks again,
Tom Anderson

Old 08-29-2008, 06:52 PM
domenicp7
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a job oppurtunity in the D.C. area thanks for the heads up on this dealer.

Old 08-29-2008, 07:39 PM
surfgermany
Intermediate
Default Delvery dates

Originally Posted by mudsnark
I have actually found the exchange to be pretty useful, particularly since I recently purchased an FXDC from Patriot and one of the options was the detachable windshield. Who knows when the bike actually gets delivered—I have been waiting 4 weeks and have a feeling it might be another 4 weeks before I see it—but I will keep this info in mind. Thanks for sharing your experience, Tom.
Hi mudsnark got my 07 flhr from Patriot when i ordered they were able to look on a large master run (yes the old green bar computer printout) that had the delivery dates for all the bikes they were getting the next few months. We looked down it and found the next red flhr and that was the date it shipped on got it a couple weeks later. not sure if they still do this or not.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:42 AM
hardhead
Tourer

Originally Posted by anderstj0mills
Wow Hardhead fits. read my post it did not do its job. If a function of a product doing a job means that it causes degraded performance (buffeting and beating) the product is not doing its job. You are correct about the 13 days. I put it on a couple of days before and never got it on the highway until 13 days after the purchase most of my commuting is on back roads. So it was my fault for not looking at the 7 day policy. You are correct as far as my neglecting to become familiar with the policy. I am quite familiar with wind please read the full thread. Now let’s address your statement "take the windshield and beat me with it". Low class dude. I did nothing to incite your silly virtual personal attack so I take nothing from it. Please read the full post and you may get a better of who I am. I am a rider and a PRO road racer doubt me and I can fax you my license, 10 years of Army service in artillery, a Master Mason in good standing and usually a hell of a nice guy but I will say that no one will beat me with a windshield. You are entitled your opinion but it is unfounded and inaccurate being that you were not the one riding my bike. I’m not sure why you seem to feel compelled to defend Whitt’s poor customer service policy. Do you or a family member work there? If so I will refer you again to read the post, I did not have an issue with the folks at Whitt’s more of a problem with the policy.

Regards,
Tom
First, thank you for your service. No need for any faxing. I was just playin "internet tough guy" for a bit. You can probably recover most of your loss on the windshield on Ebay. Chock it up learning experience I guess. HD's aren't exactly the most aerodynamic machinery designed today. But they're still my favorite. Hopefully the above posts about windshield and/or bag position will fix your problem. Ride safe!

Old 08-30-2008, 10:15 AM
anderstj0mills
Novice

No hard feelings Hardhead. Thank you, my 10 years of enlisted service was my pleasure! I would still be doing it except for a bad situation overseas in 2002 that left me broken and unfit to serve any more. I limp real bad but I can still road race with the best of them. I still give back but I no longer have the privilege of being a Soldier. I hold every last one of our service members in the highest regard.

To be honest I love ridding without the windshield just wanted it for longer trips over 100 miles. I have the lowers cut and ready to try, there big ugly and unfinished but once I get them right I will build them with pretty welds and clear coat them. I like the patina on nicely welded stainless so I won’t paint them. Once I get a nice set build I will post pics and plans.

Take care,
Tom Anderson

Old 08-30-2008, 11:22 AM
mudsnark
Advanced

Originally Posted by surfgermany
Hi mudsnark got my 07 flhr from Patriot when i ordered they were able to look on a large master run (yes the old green bar computer printout) that had the delivery dates for all the bikes they were getting the next few months. We looked down it and found the next red flhr and that was the date it shipped on got it a couple weeks later. not sure if they still do this or not.
Surfgermany--Thanks for the tip. I will ask. Worth a try at least.

Mud

Old 08-30-2008, 01:47 PM
badinfluence63
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by anderstj0mills
Wow Hardhead fits. read my post it did not do its job. If a function of a product doing a job means that it causes degraded performance (buffeting and beating) the product is not doing its job. You are correct about the 13 days. I put it on a couple of days before and never got it on the highway until 13 days after the purchase most of my commuting is on back roads. So it was my fault for not looking at the 7 day policy. You are correct as far as my neglecting to become familiar with the policy. I am quite familiar with wind please read the full thread. Now let’s address your statement "take the windshield and beat me with it". Low class dude. I did nothing to incite your silly virtual personal attack so I take nothing from it. Please read the full post and you may get a better of who I am. I am a rider and a PRO road racer doubt me and I can fax you my license, 10 years of Army service in artillery, a Master Mason in good standing and usually a hell of a nice guy but I will say that no one will beat me with a windshield. You are entitled your opinion but it is unfounded and inaccurate being that you were not the one riding my bike. I’m not sure why you seem to feel compelled to defend Whitt’s poor customer service policy. Do you or a family member work there? If so I will refer you again to read the post, I did not have an issue with the folks at Whitt’s more of a problem with the policy.

Regards,
Tom

Welcome to the HD Forum and good for you for sharing your mishap despite the minimum posts. You know of course not all dealers are the same. Why just last week I was 400 miles from home and fried my stator black and the local Central Maine Dealership hooked a brother up big time!

And good for you for enduring the occasional gautlet known as the HD Forum. It all part of it and its a great place despite the many difference of opinion's.

Old 08-30-2008, 02:58 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,012 Likes on 577 Posts

Were you aware of the 7 day return policy?
Is it clearly posted at the dealership?
Ebay the thing, and get over it!

Old 08-30-2008, 07:04 PM
anderstj0mills
Novice

Originally Posted by Ragtop
Were you aware of the 7 day return policy?
Is it clearly posted at the dealership?
Ebay the thing, and get over it!
1. No, I am now.

2. Not posted at the Dealership.

3. Probibly wont give away on eBay, My son can use it for a sled in the winter.

Im over it and you

Quick Reply: Bad experiance at Whitt' HD In Manassas VA