General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buell

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 07:06 AM
Harley Gal in MI
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buell

Why on earth didn't anyone suggest a Buell for my first bike? I sat on some last night and they seemed great for a starter bike.Resale and trade in seems to be ok.Anyone own one or have any input on them?
Thanks----

Old 09-04-2008, 07:22 AM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, buy a used one. Buell's are good bikes but new ones depreciate fast. When I started riding again 7 years ago I bought a used metric bike, rode it for a year, sold it, bought a bigger used one, rode it for a year, sold it and then bought a new '04 HD Sportster 1200. I actually made money selling the used bikes. Sold both of them for more than I paid.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:08 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Harley Gal in MI
Why on earth didn't anyone suggest a Buell for my first bike? I sat on some last night and they seemed great for a starter bike.Resale and trade in seems to be ok.Anyone own one or have any input on them?
Thanks----
Only a guess here, but IMFUO, a lot of ppl on here do not look at Buells and V Rods as "Harleys". So they don't suggest them.
Ridden multiple Buells, LOVE the torque, and a very few V Rods, LOVE the rigidity of frame and accleration. But just having a hard time with the total look of the V. Certain colors look good on it. Just sayin'.
They are GREAT for a starter bike. One of the club members bought a Blast for his wife to learn on, and 5 more lady riders have learned on the same Blast. It just keeps making the rounds. Ended up back with the original guy, for his daughter to learn on, then sold it the second time.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:16 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

After taking the rider's edge course, my girlfriend purchased a Buell Blast that had been used one season by the HD dealership for the classes. She rode it for one year and then got herself a Sportster. Then my daughter took the rider's edge course and I let her use the Buell Blast for a year to practice on. We recently sold it and only lost about $600 after two new riders each used it for a year. I thought it was a great starter bike. The guy we sold it to was getting back into riding after a 20+ year period with no bikes. I'm sure he will be ready to move up to another bike soon.