Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This Economy Sucks!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 07:05 AM
darkcvc
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default This Economy Sucks!

So it looks like after only a few short months I am most likely leaving the harley family. I was in line for a promotion / raise months ago and I have given up on it ever happening, and my daughter is due in a month. So with my son and new daughter the bike has to go.

This will be the third time I sold a toy. When I was 19 I sold my 10 second all motor Honda so I could move into a townhouse with my wife, and then when I was 24 I sold my 68 Chevelle before my son was born.

Just venting to the people I have spent the last few months getting to know. I will be back, gonna be looking for a new job or any way to get better situated financially. When I do buy another bike eventually, it will be another Dyna. I am only 26, so I have plenty of time to enjoy it. Our daughter will be 18 when I am 44, so I can make a sick bike once the kids move out!

Last edited by IzzoQuazzo; 08-13-2011 at 07:23 AM.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:30 AM
Billyram
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

There're a lot of things I can do with less of or with out. But my bike ain't one of them.
Billy

Old 08-13-2011, 07:34 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,626 Posts

Bikes come & go...family is w/you forever. Good luck & we'll see you on the hwy again someday.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:43 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Best wishes to you and your family Dan.
BTW, what kind of work do you do?

Old 08-13-2011, 08:09 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Burst You Bubble!

Originally Posted by darkcvc
I am only 26, so I have plenty of time to enjoy it.
In my life I have always put my family first. Yes I agree, this economy does suck, but your young. Get over it! You might end up being one of the lucky ones who gets to live, play and have an EZ go of it or get the sh** end of the stick handed to you. In either case you can not have the faintest idea of what obstacles the future may hold for you. The things that will "get you" will always be the things that can't be forseen or prepared for. At 26, (IMHO), you're still a babe. Live life to the fullest WITH the people who care.
Lets see -
married
own you own home
2 kids
you all have your health?
SOUNDS PRETTY DAMN GOOD TO ME!

Old 08-13-2011, 10:00 AM
ajj1can
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your doing great. Keep putting family first. They're with you forever and when the kids grow up they will celebrate the new Harley with Dad! Trust me when I say this, I'm 47 and sold many toys in my life to keep the family first and they are ALL there cheering me on now. They all love Big Sexy (my 09 RKC) as much as I do.

Best to you and your young family in the future.

Old 08-13-2011, 10:20 AM
gus4440
Road Captain
Received 63 Likes on 25 Posts

Not sure I understand why the bike has to be sold. A 6 YO Dyna should be paid for or not much owed if bought used. Taxes and insurance should be low. Gets good gas mileage for commuting, errand running, and picking up some things at the store. Not to mention the stress relief it provides.

I guess it depends on your priorities. Most expensive house you can afford, new SUV for the Wife, New truck for you, maybe some other toys like a boat come first. When My wife and I started out I had an old truck and two Harleys that were paid for. We lived in a trailer and lived within our means.

Old 08-13-2011, 10:28 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

If you can find any other way to make it, you should keep the bike. I did the same thing you are thinking about. That first decision just made it easier in years that followed to put off getting another one when something would pop up. Not that I wanted to put it off, but not buying a bike is much easier than having to sell one. I had a lot of things pop up over the years that prevented me from living that dream again.

It has taken a very, very, long time to get to the point where I can seriously look at buying another bike. When it happens later this year, I'll sell the wife, kids, house, guns, etc., before I'll ever sell that bike.

Old 08-13-2011, 10:31 AM
blacknsilver
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman24
Bikes come & go...family is w/you forever. Good luck & we'll see you on the hwy again someday.
+1 on this. Family first. Good luck on the job

Old 08-13-2011, 10:32 AM
tscreener
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

been there done that, more than once. my first harley took me a year to build and not a month after it was done was sold due to divorce, kept the boy. sh-t happens. A father goes without for his children!

Quick Reply: This Economy Sucks!