General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What if you threw a rally and nobody came

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 10:49 AM
mduggan
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What if you threw a rally and nobody came

Got back from Panama City last evening. They call their bike week (four days really) Thunder Beach. If Myrtle Beach is trying to end their spring and fall rallies, they should pattern them after Thunder Beach. We got within 20 miles of the condo that we rented for the weekend, which was supposedly near the center of the rally, and still didn't see many bikes. After the Myrtle beach, Daytona and even Leesburg rallies, it was a big change. Some bikes did eventually show up, but man this was a small rally. It was kind of like going to Disney World and not having to wait in a line.

Even though it was a small rally, we did manage to have some fun. The ride on 98 from the east side of Florida around to the Redneck Riviera is surprisingly nice. Lots of nice scenery and even a few low hills and curves. Not much traffic at all. The beaches in and around Panama City are beautiful compared to our brown beaches in the northeast corner of the state. The merchants and vendors that we dealt with were cordial and seemed to appreciate the business. The place where we stayed (Origin Condo) was outstanding with excellent gulf views and close to what action there was. Overall, a nice weekend full of good riding weather and goo riding partners. Just thought I'd share.

On the subject of small rallies. We're heading to Angel City in central Georgia in October, then on up to Tennessee to visit friends and ride the Dragon.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:57 AM
69z28
Road Warrior

Wow,last time I went about 4 years ago,the place was overrun with bikes.Wonder what happened.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:06 AM
Thumper09
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wasn't Peterson's Key West run last weekend? Maybe everyone was attending that?

Old 09-29-2008, 12:11 PM
Budds
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Spring Rally is a little more popular............

http://www.lightningcustoms.com/thunderbeachrally.html

But I feel yur pain..... Went to the Autumn Event last year and was not impressed.

Anywyas....................

Old 09-29-2008, 12:21 PM
mduggan
Cruiser

One thing that we did notice was that most of the tags seemed to be from Georgia and Alabama. We got the feeling that none of the riders from east,central or southern Florida rode to the panhandle for the event. Too bad, the weather was just outstanding in this part of the world this weekend.

Old 09-29-2008, 12:39 PM
wilburz
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

petersons was 2 weekends ago i think.

Old 09-29-2008, 01:11 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It doesn't surprise me. There are getting to be so many rallies, charity rides, etc., it's starting to be a weekly event. There's too many events now.

Old 09-29-2008, 01:33 PM
Thumper09
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think that the more exposed the motorcycle community is, the more power it gives us as a whole. Power that can be used (as ABATE) to help lobby officials to bend in a direction that helps us keep our rights.

Old 09-29-2008, 01:49 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by barjbar
It doesn't surprise me. There are getting to be so many rallies, charity rides, etc., it's starting to be a weekly event. There's too many events now.
With our 'short' season up here, there are 'several' every weekend. Sometimes Momma and I will get into a 'bidding war' to see which one, or which ones, we attend. Plus we do parades with The Cap'n, so it get's 'crowded' most weekends.

First Sturgis was 1972. Looked like a ghost town compared to what you see now, when you go.
Personally, I prefer the smaller rallies. Last couple of years, we have even sought out, the "outta the way" rallies, for the smaller crowds, and different scenery.
Don't ask me how they do it, but those Iowegians do know how to throw biker rallies down their way.

Last edited by Da Gumpmeister; 09-29-2008 at 01:53 PM.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:22 PM
rlyons
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is always more at the spring rally but the turnout was pretty good this time. Could have been more bikes but I thought the turn out was good for the fall rally. I know we had a great time.

Quick Reply: What if you threw a rally and nobody came