General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Me Make Up My Mind

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 09:30 PM
Rockport
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help Me Make Up My Mind

Should I or shouldn't I. Trade in the Sportster for a Superglide.

Due to medical reasons, I will be unable to ride until after the March 31 cutoff date on the Sportster trade-in promotion. Have not ridden any other Harley other than the Sportster I currently own. I have sat on a Superglide on my local dealers showroom and it fits me great.

My question is this -- Will I gain enough additional comfort and long distance capability by going up to a Dyna to be worth the extra money trading up, or can I save a few thousand and modify my Sportster as much as possible to make it a weekend tourer.

My riding consists of commutes to and from work, for which the Sportster is great, and weekend rides for which the Sportster seeems somewhzat limiting. By limiting, I mean that the comfort level is not particularly high, and the ride is busy in the gusty wind conditions that seem to be the norm where I live.

BTW I am looking at the Superglide FXD primarily for cost reasons. My first choice would be the Dyna Low Rider FXDL but can't justify the extra cost. And both bikes are essentially the same mechanically. Also, I much prefer mid controls over forwards.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:37 PM
I8SMK4U
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No question, move up to the big twin if it fits. One day you will want to go cross counrty and believe me, you don't want to do it on a sportster. My mom got a sportster for her first bike and sold it in a year, too small to keep up with my dad and a group.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:42 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockport
.........My first choice would be the Dyna Low Rider FXDL but can't justify the extra cost. And both bikes are essentially the same mechanically. Also, I much prefer mid controls over forwards.
The Low Rider comes with mid controls and highway pegs. Some day I WILL own another Low Rider.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:48 PM
EDZ82FXR
Road Captain

Get the Dyna..you can pretty much to anything to a Dyna..its Comfortable on longer rides, and nice enough for around town or back and fourth to work..Its easier on the highway because of the weight and extra power it has, cuts through the wind pretty nice, unlike the sportsters. Also even if you do everything you possibly could do to the sportster it probably still wouldnt be as comfortable as a Dyna..Good Luck in whatever you do though

Old 01-22-2009, 09:55 PM
57RebelRocker
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

rode sportsters for several years...liked them but always felt I was needing a bigger bike...anyways I finally traded one in for a heritage and my first ride on it made me feel like a fool for not doing it years before..heres a pic of the one i traded it in for...big difference in this and a sporty.,,also a pic of my sporty I kept...I also have an 09 deluxe and an 09 rocker c

Attached Thumbnails Help Me Make Up My Mind-download-12-4-08-045.jpg   Help Me Make Up My Mind-tyr-001.jpg  

Last edited by 57RebelRocker; 01-22-2009 at 10:04 PM.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:57 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I went from a Sporty to a Lowrider...never looked back.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:57 PM
BlackSpecial
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I moved up to my '07 Softail Custom from an '07 883 XL. Although the Sporty was a great bike.....I absolutely love the Softail.

Outstanding comfort, looks & handling.

I think you won't regret the upgrade!

Old 01-22-2009, 10:06 PM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by I8SMK4U
No question, move up to the big twin if it fits. One day you will want to go cross counrty and believe me, you don't want to do it on a sportster. My mom got a sportster for her first bike and sold it in a year, too small to keep up with my dad and a group.
Nothing against the rolling roadblocks but the rubber mounts are totally different. I've had my 1200 Roadster from California to Kentucky in 3 days no problem and it uses far less gas.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:07 PM
Thornhammer
Tourer

What all have you done to your Sportster?

Old 01-22-2009, 10:09 PM
Rick1972
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Make the trade...

used to put around on my dads sportster, but when it came time to buy, I went straignt for the Super Glide. I got take off parts from a guy that modified his low rider and now I have what I call my Dyna Low Glide.... Just like previous posters said... cuts through the wind great and with a new seat, highway pegs and mini apes, it is very comfortable on long rides but nimble enough for everyday commuting...

Just my $.02

Quick Reply: Help Me Make Up My Mind