General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STOP NYC exhaust ban

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 11:21 AM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by steveh326
as more and more of these types of regs get implemented and 'stick', I fear these types of laws will start snowballing across the country.

what I can't understand are places like Florida that can outlaw stuff like sidemount license plates, and ticket an out of state vehicle that is perfectly legal in it's licensed state yet is driving in FL. For example, tinted driver windows are illegal in MD, but its my understanding that a Florida licensed car can legally drive in MD with them because they are legal in FL. another example, MD also requires front/rear license plates on cars, yet some states do not, and you can legally drive your car with only a rear plate in MD without a ticket becuase it's not required in your licensed state... why aren't these BS exhaust laws subject to the same rules?
Could it be that the Feds have established a maximum standard and the states for the most part have accepted that standard or gone beyond, which would make the bike likely illegal even in its home state? Just because they don't get busted for the illegal pipe at home doesn't make it OK in another state.

Old 02-17-2009, 01:31 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by steveh326
as more and more of these types of regs get implemented and 'stick', I fear these types of laws will start snowballing across the country.

what I can't understand are places like Florida that can outlaw stuff like sidemount license plates, and ticket an out of state vehicle that is perfectly legal in it's licensed state yet is driving in FL. For example, tinted driver windows are illegal in MD, but its my understanding that a Florida licensed car can legally drive in MD with them because they are legal in FL. another example, MD also requires front/rear license plates on cars, yet some states do not, and you can legally drive your car with only a rear plate in MD without a ticket becuase it's not required in your licensed state... why aren't these BS exhaust laws subject to the same rules?
They can't and don't. In FL, the license tag can be side mounted but must be horizontal not vertical. I you have an out of state vertical tag you can't be legally ticketed for it because your home state laws apply.

Non EPA exhaust pipes are another issue, that's a federal, not a state law. Places in FL and many other states are choosing to, and have the right to enforce it. It is a federal law and can be enforced anywhere in the US.

Old 02-17-2009, 02:32 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,854 Likes on 6,231 Posts

Can someone take a picture of the approved EPA stamp and post it here?

1 talented tool & die maker + 1 enterprising small businessman who works for cash = ???

.......Just sayin'.

Old 02-17-2009, 03:57 PM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by RHPAW
Can someone take a picture of the approved EPA stamp and post it here?

1 talented tool & die maker + 1 enterprising small businessman who works for cash = ???

.......Just sayin'.
Go back to post #12 and click on the link. When you go through the pages of the link you will see various bike exhaust with the stamping on them.

Old 02-17-2009, 04:07 PM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by cHarley
Non EPA exhaust pipes are another issue, that's a federal, not a state law. Places in FL and many other states are choosing to, and have the right to enforce it. It is a federal law and can be enforced anywhere in the US.
There has to be more to it than this Charley. If you are a state law enforcement body you write citations under the authority of that state, which is not under the authority of the Fed. The same holds true for a Federal Officer who writes a citation within a given state. If that officer (Fed) isn't post certified he can not write a citation using the states code. Rather, he will write the citation under the CFR. The other side of this is the Judge you will face. In the state you will go to the local court however, if the citation is written by the Fed then you will go to a Federal Magistrate and this could be miles away. An example of this would be when I worked for the US Forest Service. If a local officer wrote you a citation you would go to the San Bernardino court however, if I wrote that citation you where headed for Victorville, which in some cases could be 100 miles away.

Old 02-17-2009, 04:39 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

While normally, counties, cities, municipalities, etc. do not enforce federal laws, all it takes is an official directive from the governing (county, city, municipality, etc.) commission, authorizing and directing it's LEA to enforce it.

Whether you like it or not or believe it's illegal, this is in fact what's happening more and more in cities and municipalities all over the US, where residents have gotten fed up with noise or just decided to discriminate against bikers.

While a number of riders have been able to beat some these tickets on the basis that LEO had no reasonable suspicion to make the stop in the first place since no db sound measurement was done, the fact remains that if they find a reason or walk by your parked bike on a public street, they can cite you.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:01 PM
Thundermug
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I just went outside and looked at my sporty. Did I see a stamp? No. Is it stock? Yes. Did I look very well? I did glance in my mirror and I was sorta handsome.... Anyhoo...I did not see this stamp, but I didn't crawl under my bike either.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:48 PM
Rockport
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I looked on my Sporty, factory pipes, and did find some writing on the underside of the pipes. Print was so small that it would take a magnifying glass to read it.

For all I know, the writing could have said "F**k EPA."

Old 02-17-2009, 05:53 PM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by cHarley
While normally, counties, cities, municipalities, etc. do not enforce federal laws, all it takes is an official directive from the governing (county, city, municipality, etc.) commission, authorizing and directing it's LEA to enforce it.

Whether you like it or not or believe it's illegal, this is in fact what's happening more and more in cities and municipalities all over the US, where residents have gotten fed up with noise or just decided to discriminate against bikers.
I agree it's happening and I would also agree the law they are using may mimic the federal standard which is 40 CFR205.169 however, I would like to see the citation as it is written because I'll wager it falls under their own code and not that of the Fed. Many of the current noise regs fall under the Fed ruling in terms of limitations but the codes they are using are not those of the Fed. The only thing I really question about this is the broadness of the law as written for NYC and the fact the stamps are often almost impossible to find as represented by the study done right there in NYC and at NYC motorcycle dealers. Interestingly, the only way they could see the stamp on a bagger exhaust was to remove the hard bag. Now how many cops or city workers are going to remove that hard bag?

Old 02-17-2009, 06:53 PM
donr101395
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 7/11 The Crapshooter
Now how many cops or city workers are going to remove that hard bag?

I think the larger question is how many baggers that are bone stock are going to get confiscated because the city worker can't see the tag and what will be their fix for that problem?

Quick Reply: STOP NYC exhaust ban