General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Perpaid Maintenance Contract

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 09:35 AM
houndawgg
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EZ48
Moral of this story: Do not EVER buy prepaid maintenance contracts.
Ya got that right, when I was picking up my Street Guide, they hit me up, trying to sell me one. After my 1000 mile service, I was sure glad I didn't.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:56 AM
dbleagle
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If things are as you say they are... then, of course its a binding contract...

That being said, how much hassle are you going to get everytime you go in for service...

The dealer is partly responsible in this and should be included in legal action you take.

They sold you the service as a representative of republic... they were an active agent of that company... So your fight is with both...

The easiest way out... "opt out" get your refund and learn from your experience...

Charlie D.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:30 AM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dope_man_21
+1, I would also talk to the Owner of the dealership, let him know you have a binding contract, and you want it enforced, or you will consult legal matters

I emailed this thread to 2 attorneys in my family( both with civil litigation experience)

Each replied that if the contract states 2500 miles and synthetic upgrade you have a good case for Small Claims Court. You can adequately represent yourself as do most plaintiffs in Small Claims Court (cost of lawyer wouldn't be cost-effective).

If the contract reads like the one offered in this link you have a great case.

http://www.harleyofsouthampton.com/c...ge2.asp?pg=vip

If the contract has wording like "regular scheduled maintenance" and is silent on type of oil you are SOL as the dealer is living up to his obligations of the contract.

If you are displeased with the dealer, as I would be, try to cancel with pro-rated return of cost.

Sammi

Last edited by Sammi; 02-19-2009 at 10:42 AM.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:08 AM
Big Pig
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Okay, whats different about it Now then when you posted this same thing a month ago on here???

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...-contract.html

Old 02-19-2009, 11:50 AM
Trucky911
Road Warrior

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

I spoke with my dealer about canceling my service contract. There was no refund written into it. Pro rated or other wise. Written into my contract was 1 pick up or delivery per service. (I also have the 2500 mile service). I was told I could call any day and have this done. The first 12500 miles it worked out great. 15000 miles I called on a Saturday and wanted it picked up on Sunday so I would have it back by Tuesday. I was leaving on a trip on Wednesday. I was told I had to drop it off and pick it up because they didn't have any one there to pick up bikes on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. I thought to my self it has worked out pretty good and I'll cancel the contract and get a rebate. Oh well no rebate. The service contract cost me $1900. So far I've got 10 services out of them for about $2800 their cost. One year and 4 months left so at least I've got my money out of it.....

Trucky911

Old 02-19-2009, 12:29 PM
TerryFXST
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I work for a company that sells and administers things like this...

Maintenance agreements vary widely from company to company, so I'd have to see it to know if what they are doing is exactly wrong. If what you are saying is all correct, then they are definitely doing something wrong. The approach that is likely to scare them the most, if they have any idea what they are doing, is you having a chat with the state Department of Insurance. They are the only people with the muscle to really get something done at the dealership.

I can tell you from experience that threats to call a lawyer scare absolutely no one. Threats to call the media make people laugh. Threats to call the state DOI get action. The regulators at the DOI are always looking for a reason to come down on a dealership. They love it. Even if the pre-paid maintenance contract is not considered insurance under state law, the DOI will probably use your complaint as a basis to investigate whatever the dealer sells that IS insurance, such as service contracts and GAP policies.

Good luck!

Old 02-19-2009, 12:30 PM
Tinkermc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A written contract may not be changed or modified by an oral contract.