General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What happened after your OL took a beginner's motorcycle riding course?
She did GREAT ! In fact, she loves riding her bike more than riding me !
66.67%
She did average. I have to threaten witholding the checkbook to get her to ride with me.
3.17%
Eh. She passed the course, but decided ultimately that she likes being a passenger more.
17.46%
Poor. She didn't pass, and would rather knit a sweater than ride.
12.70%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

What happened after your OL took a beginner's motorcycle riding course?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 09:28 AM
TerryFXST
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

We sold my wife's brand new motorcycle for a substantial loss about 2 months after she failed the course. There's a long story there, but that's all I have the heart to tell right now.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:40 AM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

She took the BRC first time and did well but stereotypes and guys who refused to show emotions and anxiety openly convinced her she was broken. Her assumption was that after the course she should know how to ride like a pro. Obviously BRC gives you enough knowledge and skill to start practicing and begin to ride. But it does not make you ricky rocket on day 1.

Fast forward a couple years and a few bikes later and momma is tearing up the highway. She started on a BRC loaner 125. Then she had her own Sporty and a Suzuki Boulevard S50. Now she's got a tricked out Deuce.

She took the BRC again about 2 years after the first time. This time she was one her Deuce. She smoked it. That gave her a mega confidence boost. She knew how she felt first time through. Comparing her mindset, confidence, and performance (on a big twin no less) really empowered her. She even caught herself giving pointers, advice, and inspiration to other girls taking the course.

She's ridden through downtown San Francisco, Santa Barbara, and all over the Monterey Penisula including Hecker Pass, River Road, and Laurelless Grade to name a few. Group rides are no big deal. She'll more than likely be a road captain here soon as well.

Its a real treat for me to watch her ride. I have seen where she came from and I know how she used to think about her capabilities. She is a very good and responsible rider now and I love her for it.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:40 AM
Slaps
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife trips walking on flat ground... I don't think shes getting on a bike any time soon. She also get scared while riding in a car. (But that's due to a being in a bad wreck years ago)

Hopefully she'll get an interest some day.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:46 AM
kmac89
Tourer

Interesting O\L is taking the Riders Edge class first weekend in May.She got the permit and has tried to cancel the class three times but I talked her back into it,she really wants to do it ,we have a lot of female rider friends and she sees how much fun they have and I know she is scared,got her a little honda rebel to practice on.If she fails or doesn't want to ride no big deal,will let you know next month how she does

Old 04-17-2009, 09:50 AM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

It's definitely not for all women and I firmly believe that if you are going to ride your own ride, then you need to be wanting to do that for yourself and not to just please someone else because that will get you into trouble. Absolutely nothing wrong with being a passenger. You're still riding.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:50 AM
robbieaz62
Cruiser

She had a fairly spectacular wreck (to hear her tell it) on the first day but ultimately passed. She has her own bike and will ride around an empty neighborhood that's under construction whenever I can get her to do it. But she still hasn't completely gotten over the crash mentally and lacks the confidence she wants to have before she goes out in traffic. It hasn't helped that she never learned to drive a manual transmisison car. It's nice having a spare bike though ...

Old 04-17-2009, 09:59 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kmac89
Interesting O\L is taking the Riders Edge class first weekend in May.She got the permit and has tried to cancel the class three times but I talked her back into it,she really wants to do it ,we have a lot of female rider friends and she sees how much fun they have and I know she is scared,got her a little honda rebel to practice on.If she fails or doesn't want to ride no big deal,will let you know next month how she does
Eery parallels. First weekend in May (We had 38* and snow squalls so bad, they had to stop the riders as they couldn't see them on the course.)
She likewise cancelled many times, BUT several of the other wives rode, so she kept thinkin' 'bout it.
She had tried a Suzuki 650, TOO tall, and she dropped it numerous times, now SKEERED.
She passed the course, I traded a Honda crashed for a 2005 Suzuki 250. The two were inseperable. She LOVES riding.
ONLY ONE prob. After she learned, got a scoot, she TOOK OFF with some scruffy biker dude, ain't seen her since. J/K

Actually, she did MARVELOUS with her first full year. So, here's her Christmas present. She's been out on it a few times already, now, and haven't seen her that excited, since she saw me drop my drawers when she first met me.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:03 AM
RoadKingRon1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Trailfndr
She came home to see a new Deluxe in the garagae, and hasn't slowed that puppy down since...Its great to have a riding partner that is also my very best friend.
+1 - exactly. Even down to the Deluxe..

Old 04-17-2009, 10:03 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Trailfndr
She came home to see a new Deluxe in the garagae, and hasn't slowed that puppy down since...Its great to have a riding partner that is also my very best friend.
Awww shucks. Me too. She's a riding fool now and I can't get her back on the pillion. After she broke her wrist in a minor accident I told her the bike was getting sold.

She then told me she was sorry to hear I was selling MY bike but she was keeping hers

Old 04-17-2009, 10:10 AM
Slowpoke84
Road Captain

"Eh. She passed the course, but decided ultimately that she likes being a passenger more."

My wife took the course with me. I was impressed and very proud of how well she did. But, in the end, she still likes being a passenger more. She still talks about getting a trike one day though (she's five foot nothin' and even had a hard time ridin' the lowered 125cc Hondas at the course).

Quick Reply: What happened after your OL took a beginner's motorcycle riding course?