General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Route 66 sole trip in May! Should I have a Concealed Weapon ??!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 01:27 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Coastie
I believe people should have the right to CCW, but the truth is 99% of the time untrained citizens with CCW cause more problems than they solve.

Do you have any sources for this claim?

Because in all my years in law enforcement, reading police reports, watching the news, reading news papers, etc., I can recall one incident where a holder of a CCW permit did something that got him in trouble. And it stemmed from a road rage incident.

I'll never be in favor of any kind of mandatory training beyond what is now required. And that, in most jurisdictions, is the safe handling and working knowledge of the firearm you'll be carrying. You don't need to go thru a PPC, or any other course.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:31 PM
1Coastie
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jimmers1817
Point, pull trigger, bang. Don't need to pass a firearms proficiency test before becoming eligible to defend yourself.

Which is worse? Torture, rape or murder or going to jail for 30 days. Why do we fear the police more than the savages in our society.

I can see by the ignorance of your statements that you’ve never been in a situation where you needed to use a firearm in self defense or in defense of another. I hope you never find yourself in one of these situations because chances are you’re gonna learn the hard way..... If you live.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:56 PM
1Coastie
Road Master

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
Do you have any sources for this claim?

Because in all my years in law enforcement, reading police reports, watching the news, reading news papers, etc., I can recall one incident where a holder of a CCW permit did something that got him in trouble. And it stemmed from a road rage incident.

I'll never be in favor of any kind of mandatory training beyond what is now required. And that, in most jurisdictions, is the safe handling and working knowledge of the firearm you'll be carrying. You don't need to go thru a PPC, or any other course.
My sources are personal experience.
And as far as not needing PPC, you have a right to your opinion.
We'll just have to agree to disagree on that.
It is pretty hard to argue that training is a bad thing.
I understand that if the government raised the requirements to obtain a CCW, that is just one more step toward gun control.... Which I hate.
But lets face it, you said you’re in law enforcement, then YOU know first hand that most people most of the time aren’t going to improve a bad situation by pulling a weapon. They haven’t been trained in proper use of the force continuum, and most will miss if they have to fire in a high stress situation.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:29 PM
Eyespy
Road Warrior
Location: Southern California High Desert, here and there....
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eyespy, its easy to see where you fall when it comes to CCW, and although you SEEM the truth is 99% of the time untrained citizens with CCW cause more problems than they solve.
Ok man, no disrespect, but that is total BS. So now I pose the same question I asked red69camaro. So, what's your answer, remember there are only two possible answers.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:51 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I can see by the ignorance of your statements that you’ve never been in a situation where you needed to use a firearm in self defense or in defense of another. I hope you never find yourself in one of these situations because chances are you’re gonna learn the hard way..... If you live.
LMAO, If only you knew.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:57 PM
gjb1952
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, Plaxico Burris carried a hand gun on his trips??? HAHAHAHAHHAHA....Don't shoot yoursef.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:59 PM
1Coastie
Road Master

Originally Posted by Eyespy
Ok man, no disrespect, but that is total BS. So now I pose the same question I asked red69camaro. So, what's your answer, remember there are only two possible answers.
It's not BS it’s a fact, most people that CCW don’t have the training they should have in order to truly be effective in a high stress life or death situation involving a handgun.
And to answer your question...... I'm gonna shoot, but once again these situations are extremely rare. More than likely I will NEVER find myself in a situation where I will have to draw my weapon off duty. If I ever do, hopefully my training will allow to be effective. Which is the point I keep trying to make here. If you want to carry....... GREAT! But get some training beyond the requirements for CCW or you just might end up on the losing end of a gun fight. Plenty of TRAINED officers get shot every year, not being trained only increases the likelihood of this happening.

Old 05-01-2009, 03:09 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member

My sources are personal experience.
And as far as not needing PPC, you have a right to your opinion.
We'll just have to agree to disagree on that.
It is pretty hard to argue that training is a bad thing.
I understand that if the government raised the requirements to obtain a CCW, that is just one more step toward gun control.... Which I hate.
But lets face it, you said you’re in law enforcement, then YOU know first hand that most people most of the time aren’t going to improve a bad situation by pulling a weapon. They haven’t been trained in proper use of the force continuum, and most will miss if they have to fire in a high stress situation.

Training is never a bad thing. But, at least here, the required training for a CCW is classroom time going over legal issues and firearm safety. Then, there is range time where you must demonstrate that you can safely handle the firearm. In my opinion, that is plenty. Considering the close proximaty of most armed confrontations, you don't need to prove you can hit a 6 steel plates at 30 yards in less than 10 seconds.

In my experience, as a law enforcement officer and as a CCW permit holder, most people aren't going to pull their weapon unless they're ready to kill someone. At that point, either all the requirements for bringing the use of deadly force into play are already present, or there are going to be serious ramifications.

Just curious what your personal experiences are. I will concede that your statement of 99% of untrained personnel ...... I agree with that. What I think we disagree on is what constitutes a "trained" person. Of course, in most jurisdictions, a CCW permit is not going to be issued to anyone that hasn't taken the required course. Therefore, they are NOT untrained personnel. But to say that 99% of all people that haven't taken advanced tactic courses are going to get into trouble is, well honestly, a total exaggeration.

Old 05-01-2009, 03:15 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member

Plenty of TRAINED officers get shot every year, not being trained only increases the likelihood of this happening.

So, based on this, what's the point? If advanced training doesn't keep you alive, why do it?

And I think you're getting a little far fetched here. In most cases, officers shot in the line of duty are ambushed. Many never even get their weapon out of the holster. In most all other cases, it's not their ability to handle the weapon that gets them killed. It's other tactics like proper cover during a gun battle. And those are the "rare" cases.

Old 05-01-2009, 03:23 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member

Look, we're not debating how to stay alive. We're debating the training necessary to get a CCW. In other words, the training needed so the individual doesn't make a judgement that will get someone else needlessly shot or killed. Civil Liability. That's it.

And in most cases, the provided training is enough to provide the person with the knowledge on how and when to use their weapon. Chances are, in a situation warranting the use of deadly force, if they don't use it or use it improperly they're going to die anyway.

Quick Reply: Route 66 sole trip in May! Should I have a Concealed Weapon ??!!