General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Route 66 sole trip in May! Should I have a Concealed Weapon ??!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 04:16 PM
10ring
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Constitution safeguards the right of all citizens to have and to bear arms. Nowhere does it specify that any level of training is required. Indeed, it is not. Is training a Jim-dandy idea? Sure! But to require run-and-gun ability in order for a little old lady to have even a chance to save her own life is simply wrong. Having the right to have a firearm doesn't mean you will prevail against an attack. Having the firearm itself doesn't ensure you will prevail, nor does advanced tactical training. But all people are insured of the right to have an opportunity to defend themselves, even with a firearm.
Some people manage to sever their foot while operating a lawnmower, but this doesn't mean that the government should require advanced training in lawncare and power equipment for everyone who would like to do yard work.
I am aware of what can be termed the "pucker factor" in a fight-or-flight encounter. Motor skills degrade. In spite of this I was able to acquit myself very well in just such an encounter many years before I received any training. The training helps.
Why is it that so many people think that an armed citizen is automatically going to fail and can't possibly prevail, ever. These same folks always think that any thug (who has the benefit of absolutely no training) with a gun will reign surpreme, wreaking mayem and murder, only stopped when the Government shows up.
Man! The air up here is really thin; I better climb back down now.

Last edited by 10ring; 05-01-2009 at 04:18 PM.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:39 PM
Eyespy
Road Warrior
Location: Southern California High Desert, here and there....
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Coastie
It's not BS it’s a fact, most people that CCW don’t have the training they should have in order to truly be effective in a high stress life or death situation involving a handgun.
And to answer your question...... I'm gonna shoot, but once again these situations are extremely rare.
It is BS, and you and I both know that it is. But aside from that, you did not understand the question I posed. It wasn't about what you would do, it was what you would want the legally armed citizen to do in your absence.

If necessary, I can re-quote the question for you.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:02 PM
frenchman
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by softail04
same thought here I have been riding all over the country for 50+ years and never been in a spot that required me to be armed. maybe I have been doing it all wrong all these years ..
I'd rather have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. But here are my 0.02... If you carry a weapon, be prepared to use it. If you're not sure to be able to do so, just leave the iron at home.

Old 05-01-2009, 06:54 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

As a certified firearms instructor this is the training I give my wife and kids:

When to shoot: Only when you're in imminent danger of death or serious bodily injury.

How to shoot: Point gun at center mass and pull trigger. Repeat as needed.

Call 911 and ask for a highly trained police officer to respond and take the report.

Old 05-01-2009, 11:52 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by hoglaw
I was a cop too long to tell everyone to carry a gun, but if your personality would allow you to use it, then you should be armed. If you are armed you must be willing to use it, you can't just display the weapon and hope that solves the problem. Phony bravdo will get it shoved up your a$$ without any KY.
HOGLAW: Some good advice.

I kept my ASP Baton after turning in my commission card (now I'm a desk driver)...I'd like to hear your thoughts on guys carrying an ASP instead of handguns? It may not be the best, but it sure beats not having anything (and you run less risk of getting in trouble with local LEO's)

Old 05-02-2009, 03:04 AM
raaaaaa
Road Master

I went across this country with my fiance from NJ south through Tennessee, Texas,Nevada up through California then hit Oregon and headed home. I never once thought I would need some type of weapon.

Old 05-02-2009, 05:44 AM
hoglaw
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Whiskers
HOGLAW: Some good advice.

I kept my ASP Baton after turning in my commission card (now I'm a desk driver)...I'd like to hear your thoughts on guys carrying an ASP instead of handguns? It may not be the best, but it sure beats not having anything (and you run less risk of getting in trouble with local LEO's)
Batons are one of those strange items...legalwise. A lot like knives. Okay in some places, illegal in others. I always liked mine, although I left police work before the ASP. We carried a short baton in a small pocket on the right rear thigh, and a long baton in a ring on the left side of the gun belt.

If properly trained, a baton is a formidable weapon. If not trained the inclination is to take a head shot and that only causes lots of blood.

I don't know if HR 218 allows for batons, or only firearms, but doubt any real cop would care if a retired LEO carried an ASP.

For the purposes of the original question I don't think a baton is a good self defense weapon for the average person. You really need to know how to use it for it to be effective, and a lot of people today have enough trouble figuring out how to dial 9-1-1 (old joke about the blond who couldn't call 911 because her phone didn't have an eleven).

Old 05-02-2009, 07:54 PM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,621 Likes on 2,094 Posts

Originally Posted by Eyespy
Cause there is always the chance that one day, one of those random citizens will save one of your loved ones from being victimized. Were that ever to happen, you might actually feel a sense of thankfulness towards that individual, no?. Should such a situation never occur, at least there are those people out there that go to the trouble to make themselves better prepared. They deserve our respect and appreciation.

I see we have a number of LEO's here. What would the consequences be for a citizen hero who shoots and injures another commiting a crime? What if the one who is shot dies ?

Old 05-02-2009, 08:30 PM
Tripped1
Tourer

Originally Posted by jimmers1817
As a certified firearms instructor this is the training I give my wife and kids:

When to shoot: Only when you're in imminent danger of death or serious bodily injury.

How to shoot: Point gun at center mass and pull trigger. Repeat as needed.

Call 911 and ask for a highly trained police officer to respond and take the report.

More or less.

You have the same problem I do infortunately

I was a military rangemaster. The issue is that if I draw I'm more then likely going to shoot, and at that point someone is going to be in a bad way.

So now I'm a trained killer in court and it doesn't matter that someone broke into my home. Better to be judged by 12 then carried by 6 I guess.

I also tell people that if they are going to hesitate about shooting someone, not to buy a firearm. People get shot by thier own guns because they think it is like the movies.

Old 05-02-2009, 10:21 PM
VonRizzo
Novice

I agree with most of the posts get a CCW permit in your home state... then check the reciprocate laws in the states you will travel through and don't forget some states have open carry laws, you can wear it right on your side...

Quick Reply: Route 66 sole trip in May! Should I have a Concealed Weapon ??!!