General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Avoiding being killed by a left turning cager?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 12:10 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maintain control of your lane. Total awareness when riding---If you want to sight see --ride bitch. Avoid blind spots and always expect the unexpected. The list of hazards that come at you out of the driveways, bushes, and merging lanes is never ending. Expect the left hand turn in front of you. Riding is reaction time. Cover your brakes and clutch when necessary to maintain a safety margin. Leave yourself an out at all times. Don't tailgate and don't follow anything that leaves you blind to what is ahead of you. That means if you can't see around it or over it than you are riding blind. I live by dodge, go, or whoa. Know how to emergency brake using both brakes while maintaining control.

Old 07-17-2009, 04:31 AM
Burstbucker
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed a loud Freeway Blaster (low tone) car horn on my bike this spring and along with my higher pitched OEM horn, I get a hell of a big sound, there's no way that a cager wouldn't hear that unless he had his music cranked.

When I was out riding the coastal roads on Sunday afternoon, I noticed an old couple attempting to back their car out of a crowded church parking lot and on to the street, which would have cut me off. I was going at a pretty good clip, so just as I noticed this, I slowed down a bit, moved near the centerline of the road and tooted my horn. That stopped them from sending me to the hospital or morgue, I know what would have happened if I hadn't used my horn. I'm especially wary of confused senior cagers, had an old woman cut me off in a busy intersection about four weeks ago.

These drivers either don't see you because they need a new eye glass prescription, are daydreaming, are just plain bad drivers that don't understand who has the right of way or are just plain rude and intentionally dangerous. It seems as if these people really try their best to ruin it for us.

My horn is so loud that I couldn't see myself tooting it at every single oncoming car that I see out in the countryside, I'd drive myself nuts. But I'll keep a sharp eye on them and try my best to be ready to brake, it's like you just can't drop your guard, the one time that you're daydreaming, could be the time that you needed to be on the ball.

I will get into the habit of flicking my high-beans on and off a few times as I approach an oncoming car, maybe that'll help.

Old 07-17-2009, 06:01 AM
99superglide
Tourer

Your already doing a good part of what you need to do to stay safe. I always cover the clutch and brakes anytime any car is in a position to do something stupid. Another helpful tip I use is to either speed up or slow down to get thru intersections or turn-offs before or after oncoming cars get to them. Helps to reduce the chance of them getting me anyway. These skills will become automatic to you as years go by. I got to admit I am amazed at the amount of bikers I see riding in city traffic thru intersections and all with their left hand on their knee. To me that is just complacency and asking for trouble. Another thing is don't think just because you think you've made eye contact that they won't get ya. I wouldn't be sitting here typing this now if I rode like that.
Trust no one and have fun.

Old 07-17-2009, 06:07 AM
mduggan
Cruiser

I think that the most dangerous type of left turn that a car makes is when you are going down a two lane at 45 MPH or more, and an oncoming car attempts to turn left while they are eating lunch, applying makeup and texting someone. If you are headed toward them and there's a car behind you, they don't see you. They fixate on the car. If you are behind a car, they don't see you. They just see the car. If you are alone, they don't see you. And they don't care. Here's how I make them see me in each situation.

If I'm in front of an oncoming car and the left turning car is fixated on the car instead of me, I point at the left turning car. When someone points at you, it gets your attention. I don't know why, but it does. It also pisses them off, which lets me know that they have seen me. Bonus!

If I'm behind a car and approaching a left turning car, I move all the way to the left of my lane and get a little closer to the car that I'm following, using it as a shield. I know that this move puts me closer to the turning car, but when I appear out from behind the oncoming car, the left turning car sees me. If all else fails, I point at them. See the bonus above.

If I'm alone and closing on a car that looks like it's going to turn left, I turn across my own lane so it appears that I am going to collide with the oncoming car. I can do this because I only take up a small portion of my lane. So, even though I'm always in my lane, I seem to be heading directly at the oncoming car. They usually get a good look at my headlights. This maneuver stops them cold. When they look at me like I'm crazy, I point at them just for fun. That pisses them off every time.

I only have a few rules that I live by when riding.

1. You are not allowed to run over me.
2. If you are pissed off at me, then you have seen me.
3. I try to never rely on brakes to save me. If I am braking hard, I have failed to notice a dangerous situation in time to react sensibly.
4. My ability to out-accellerate most cars and leave dangerous situations behind me is my biggest advantage.

I will always choose throttle over brakes. If you want to find a wreck, look at the end of the skidmarks. That's where it'll be.

I've only been riding for 37 years or so, but it's been working so far.

Old 07-17-2009, 06:21 AM
MattInFla
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Burstbucker
I've been riding motorcycle for almost two years now and I still consider myself pretty green although I'm a fairly competent rider overall. I'm a pretty cautious rider but I'm possibly not enjoying it as much as I should.

There's been a number of motorcyclists killed already this summer in my area and the latest one was a 38 year old man who was cut off by a left turning cager on Sunday afternoon just up the road from where I live. The write-ups in the papers are always the same, they tell you that a motorcyclist ran into a car and was killed and that the roads and weather conditions were good at the time and that the cause of the crash has yet to be determined, oh and that the driver of the car was unharmed (that last bit really bugs me, they're always unharmed!).

I find that this stuff is making me more paranoid, almost every car that I see approaching me is suspect and I sometimes pull in the clutch and get ready to brake if a car seems to be going slow enough to start turning left. Or I at least slow down some and keep an eagle-eye on them.

I've had three occasions in the last month where I've been cut off, all by woman oddly enough. The last one, two weeks ago was the worst, at 35-40 mph, I had to jam on both brakes to avoid a young woman who totally cut me off at the very last second. I went into a 10-15 foot long skid but held it together and avoided a crash but man, I was really shaken up by this idiot.

I was wondering if there's anything at all that you can think of to help cut down the chances of getting creamed in these situations? I'm kind of embarrassed to bring this up but if I can get any helpful advice it'll be worth it.

I love riding and wish I had taken it up when I was younger, so I don't plan on giving it up but I'd like to know how you guys deal with it. Do you just ride without a care and not let all of these potential hazards get in the way?

Any good advice would sure be appreciated, thanks in advance!
Unfortunately, we can't completely eliminate cagers violating our right of way, but there are a lot of things we can do to protect ourselves:

1. Make yourself visible. Light colored helmet, brightly colored jacket or shirt, reflective striping. Personally, I wear an ugly florescent orange / yellow traffic vest. It looks dorky, but it gets seen. The prototypical black on black on black Harley dude blends into the background.

2. Shift position in your lane as you approach an intersection to afford yourself the best possible view and to attract attention through motion.

3. Cover the controls as you approach an intersection, and look for an escape route. If someone does pull out, use your head and eyes to guide you towards safety, and smoothly apply the brakes.

4. Consider a headlight modulator.

5. Ride with a defensive mindset. Believe that we are invisible to 90% of the cars out there and that the other 10% who do see you are trying to kill you.

6. Remember than right of way is a concept, not a guarantee. You can be 100% in the right and still be hurt or killed.

7. Lighting is your friend. The more lights out front, the better.

Just a few thoughts on the subject.

Matt
Matt

Old 07-17-2009, 06:24 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Lot of good advice given already so I don't have much to add. I'm not a big fan of the hi/lo deal with the headlights. In my parts that has become the customary sign to signal people you're letting them go before you.

Didn't catch what bike you had but if it only has one headlight, maybe some aux lights would be good to add. Or the modulating lights.

The yellow helmet idea suggested is sound but not for everyone, including me.

Copious use of the horn is definitely a good idea. I have to admit I don't use mine often enough.

Improving countersteering skills in order to swerve away from the hazard is probably something many riders including myself need more of. When someone abruptly turns into your path it's the only chance to avoid impact.

Whenever I see any red flag situation I routinely cover my brake and drop my speed at least 10 mph. I'm sure this pisses off some people who are anxious to make their left turn in front of me. Oh well.

And it's always good to maintain a healthy measure of PARANOIA.

Old 07-17-2009, 06:32 AM
Johnnyiroc
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Burstbucker
almost every car that I see approaching me is suspect and I sometimes pull in the clutch and get ready to brake if a car seems to be going slow enough to start turning left. Or I at least slow down some and keep an eagle-eye on them.
You got to get in a habit of not pulling the clutch to brake, unless you are going to speed down shift. You need the engine braking to assist in your stopping. Clutching and hitting the brakes wont stop you as fast as leaving it in a gear and stopping, pulling the clutch at the end to keep the engine running. Sometimes I drop a couple gears while emergency braking...this stops me very quick. You dont want to lock em up...you cant steer this way. Let up a little and reapply the brakes both at the same time.

Yes never trust a cager. I get the itch that they may pull out I cover the brakes ready for it. Never let your guard down.

Old 07-17-2009, 06:38 AM
nhbiker1961
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am not sure what bike you have, but having running lights helps (or aux lights). Having three headlights on the front is better then one. Some State allow a flashing head light which also helps being seen. I never worry much about my ability out there, but you can never predict what others will do, so making yourself seen and heard is the key.

Last edited by nhbiker1961; 07-17-2009 at 06:46 AM.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:38 AM
King FLH
Road Captain
Received 38 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmers1817
Lot of good advice given already so I don't have much to add. I'm not a big fan of the hi/lo deal with the headlights. In my parts that has become the customary sign to signal people you're letting them go before you.
Exactly what I was thinking as I read this thread. Otherwise, a lot of good advice here. Latley, I'm scared 5hitless due to an unusual number of car/motorcycle head ons where I live. A good friend of my daughters father was taken out the other night by a young girl who entered a curve too fast and went wide over the line and now my daughter's friend is fatherless at 16. He was 44.

Old 07-17-2009, 06:44 AM
MattInFla
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nhbiker1961
I am not sure what bike you have, but having running lights helps. Having three headlights on the front is better then one. Some State allow a flashing head light which also helps being seen. I never worry much about my ability out there, but you can never predict what others will do, so making yourself seen and heard is the key.
Every state allows headlight modulators - it's a federal standard and the states are prohibited from changing it.

That said, there's a good chance you'll meet an officer who doesn't know the law, and it's a good idea to have a copy of the relevant FMVSS in with your reg and insurance stuff.

Matt

Quick Reply: Avoiding being killed by a left turning cager?