General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Right index finger goes totally numb

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 07:54 AM
mowdoc
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure this will help you but it is easy to try and helps me and my riding buddy.

You tend to "lay" down on the bars as you ride and this applies pressure on your palm area which puts parts of your hand to sleep. Try "pulling back" with your fingers slightly as you ride. This works for me so I told my friend and he says it works great for him as well.

You just ride normally and when you feel your fingers going numb try pulling up and back gently with your fingers for a mile or so and see if it helps with the blood flow.

Trade for a bagger with cruise control is next move.

Good Luck

mowdoc

Old 08-19-2009, 05:25 PM
June Bug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mowdoc

Trade for a bagger with cruise control is next move........

mowdoc

Well now someday THAT will be what I'll do. But seeing my bike is only one year old, and hubby just did a trade, guess I'll keep my Street Bob for a while. I really do love the bike. But I also know eventually I will make the move into a bagger. But remember, I am NOT, repeat NOT getting older. Just because I may someday get a bagger does NOT mean I am an old bag.

I will look at the street slammer bars, but again, I don't know if I can do that on a Street Bob without major work??

Old 08-19-2009, 05:47 PM
duoglider
Road Warrior
Received 300 Likes on 181 Posts

I'm guessing that the origin of the numbness is probably in your upper vertibrae. The nerves that travel down the arm to the hand originate from the area between your shoulder blades. The numbness could be caused by your riding position. Take notice of how slumped over you are in the saddle and adjust your position to change the angle of your upper back and shoulders. Changing your handlebar height, or adjusting the tilt of your handlbar might give you just enough change in position to
eleviate the numbness.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:23 PM
Belfast_tmy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same issue. My right index finger is numb all of the time now, unless I wear a CT brace. It actually got worse when I changed out my stock bars for the Street Slammers, but I like the Slammers much better so there is no going back for me.

I just take my brace with me wherever I go and put it on when I stop riding for the day. Hopefully, shoulder surgery this winter will help.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:09 PM
June Bug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did a brief check on the slammers. Love the look but the triple tree clamp (?) is more than the handlebars. So I think that option is out right now.

I do "slouch" a bit when I ride. I have been TRYING to force myself to sit up straighter, but bad habits are hard to break (I don't have the greatest posture anyway). I think I'll try pushing the handlebars further away from me, and see if that helps. But I have a short reach so don't know that I can push them that much further. I already have a custom seat that pushes me forward.

I'll try several of the suggestions about riding position, hand position, handlebar position, and see if any or all might help.

Again, thanks for all the great input.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:21 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 817 Likes on 803 Posts

More than likley its cause your hands are higher than the pump.. Ur heart..

try shaking Ur hand down at Ur side every so often to see if it helps... If so, get lower bars..

Old 08-20-2009, 12:02 PM
odysseysteve
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I got my 91 FXRP it had 16" apes and forward controls with 2" extentions. My right hand started tingling after about 20 minutes of riding. If I continued riding the finger tips on my right hand would go numb. It's a lousy feeling. I put on a non-ape style bar, got rid of the 2" foot control extentions and now I can ride for as long as my backside can stand it without any numbness or tingling in my fingers. From my experience I would think lower bars would be the fix.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:20 PM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have found that some gloves will have a problem with blood flow to your finger tips causeing numb feeling in the fingers.