General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Comfortable Sportster - Is it Possible?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 06:51 PM
GMbagger
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to pay attention to what it actually is that makes your bike uncomfortable. Is it foot position? The seat? The pullback of the handlebars? You mentioned how your bike was better before the forward controls. Mabey installing some center mount pegs would help. There's a bunch of stuff to consider.

Old 09-17-2009, 07:56 PM
OldCoot
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't really add much to what's been said... I've made most of the suggested changes to my Sportster... it doesn't look nearly as good as it did when I bought it... but it defintely rides better... much better... and long trips are more important to me than how it looks... and I admire guys like this who do amazing stuff on their Sportsters...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwq4hwKd5XI

Last edited by OldCoot; 09-17-2009 at 08:02 PM. Reason: added Youttube link
Old 09-22-2009, 09:54 PM
karlkcfi
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an 06 xl1200L that looks like a touring bike now. Detachable windshield, Mustang Solo with passenger pillion, Leatherlyke saddlebags and quick detach sissybar.. Comfy for the long rides or bad weather and in 5 minutes it is stripped down to a solo seat, lean and mean. Best of both worlds. I have been across Texas on it, the Mustang and windshield are worth it especially during the windy season. Having said all that, I am looking at upgrading to a Street Bob or Fatbob, but cant convince myself it would be worth the added expense. My wife rides with me occasionally and her biggest complaint is the seat even after getting a mustang to replace the Sundowner seat. She is waiting for the next MC riders course to get her license and then we are looking for a metric for her to learn on.....

Old 10-06-2009, 01:15 AM
OldSport883
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yea, all that and more.

I'm pissed at "The Motor Company". They really should provide more and better information about fitting one to a bike. (I'm no engineer and can think of ways myself if I had resources).

My 883 is in the shop now. I simply needed the handlebars 3" closer to me.
The parts guy found a pair in the drag catalog that he thought would work. I mean, this guy took lots of time measuring as best he could. Lots of angles to consider!
They are a different shape okay, but no closer!

Okay, I know a Sporty is not a touring bike. I've added a Sundowner seat, a Windvest screen, crash guard, forward pegs, sissy bar and have a T-Bag and saddle bags. Stock everything else (remember the 883 comes with mid-controls...and I think I'll change to front controls.

All I want is to ride upright in the position most comfortable for me. (I'm 72 years old, never been a sloucher and won't start now). I've been or four day-long trips and "Fugg 'em, the Sporty works well for me except this one problem. I'm not even interested in new shocks.

The shop tells me I'm looking at yet another set of bars, but will need risers to clear the tank, all new cables and some new grips. About 800 bucks worth, without front controls.

And, I'd like to put forward controls on it.

At my age, facing an uncertain economy, I'm not gonna spend lots of money on a bike I don't need. I enjoy back roads more that Interstates anyway. Sporty works well.

But I want to be comfortable. I'll spend $1500. if I must but damn...want it to make the right changes.

I confess to not reading ALL the previous posts. Forgive my redundant remarks please.

And if anyone out there has info that would be of value, I'd sure as hell like to hear it.

(This is a great resource by the way...new here... and I swear I'll stay in touch so that, if possible, I might pass on information that may help someone else.

Thanks for your good attention. And this Old Dude is STAYING on his Sporty by God! Damned if I'll take beer money to buy a motorcycle.

Old 10-18-2013, 03:57 PM
Jay Guild
Grand HDF Member
Received 728 Likes on 559 Posts

Originally Posted by OldSport883
I'm pissed at "The Motor Company". They really should provide more and better information about fitting one to a bike. (I'm no engineer and can think of ways myself if I had resources).

My 883 is in the shop now. I simply needed the handlebars 3" closer to me.
The parts guy found a pair in the drag catalog that he thought would work. I mean, this guy took lots of time measuring as best he could. Lots of angles to consider!
They are a different shape okay, but no closer!

Okay, I know a Sporty is not a touring bike. I've added a Sundowner seat, a Windvest screen, crash guard, forward pegs, sissy bar and have a T-Bag and saddle bags. Stock everything else (remember the 883 comes with mid-controls...and I think I'll change to front controls.

All I want is to ride upright in the position most comfortable for me. (I'm 72 years old, never been a sloucher and won't start now). I've been or four day-long trips and "Fugg 'em, the Sporty works well for me except this one problem. I'm not even interested in new shocks.

The shop tells me I'm looking at yet another set of bars, but will need risers to clear the tank, all new cables and some new grips. About 800 bucks worth, without front controls.

And, I'd like to put forward controls on it.

At my age, facing an uncertain economy, I'm not gonna spend lots of money on a bike I don't need. I enjoy back roads more that Interstates anyway. Sporty works well.

But I want to be comfortable. I'll spend $1500. if I must but damn...want it to make the right changes.

I confess to not reading ALL the previous posts. Forgive my redundant remarks please.

And if anyone out there has info that would be of value, I'd sure as hell like to hear it.

(This is a great resource by the way...new here... and I swear I'll stay in touch so that, if possible, I might pass on information that may help someone else.

Thanks for your good attention. And this Old Dude is STAYING on his Sporty by God! Damned if I'll take beer money to buy a motorcycle.
It sounds like you need something like this:
http://www.westendmotorsports.com/ch...FYgWMgodEgIAAQ

and then find a machine shop that will bend the bars back below the elbows for you.

Old 10-18-2013, 04:23 PM
jakenok
Elite HDF Member
Received 116 Likes on 61 Posts

Longer shocks, even some Touring air shocks will help. What sucks on the new Sportys is the rear shock angle. look at earlier EVO Sportsters and the shocks are more upright. In the effort to have the slammed look, HD has taken a lot of rideability for distances out of the Sportster, of course they will happliy fix that for you by "upgrading" you to a Touring bike you most likely don't need.

Old 05-29-2015, 11:58 AM
guitarman023
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The older ones are definitely more comfy. I'm 6'4'' and have had to do a lot of work to mine to make it comfy. Progressive shocks, touring seat, taller bars, and forward controls I made that are +6 over stock. That's on the older solid mount frame though. I've ridden a couple newer ones and was shocked at how much smaller they seemed

Old 05-30-2015, 11:12 AM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 893 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by guitarman023
The older ones are definitely more comfy. I'm 6'4'' and have had to do a lot of work to mine to make it comfy. Progressive shocks, touring seat, taller bars, and forward controls I made that are +6 over stock. That's on the older solid mount frame though. I've ridden a couple newer ones and was shocked at how much smaller they seemed
This thread was from 2009!