Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Comfort

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 07:31 PM
littlevan
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comfort

I bought a 1200 custom under Harley's promotion with a full value trade in . However, I am beginning to feel really comfortable and confident on my bike. I will probably even feel more comfortable once I buy a windshield. Everybody thinks I should trade up, what are the other Harleys like? I probably would only trade up to the VROD Muscle !!

Old 10-22-2009, 09:11 PM
fox4
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally I love the touring models. The new frame makes them ride and handle much better than my sportster does IMHO. I've rode my dad's road glide and then have rented and test road the Ultra quit a few times. They are balanced much better than the sportsters, and therefore the extra weight they contain is unnoticeable. Being so well balanced makes them very nimble in the curves, and very easy to lean to the max. They are lacking in power area due to the extra weight.

I too thought that I was comfortable on my sportster and wouldn't ever want anything else. That was until I climbed on a touring model. As soon as I'm out of school I'll be getting one for my self as a graduation present, but I will be keeping the sporty.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:03 AM
crazytrain69
Road Captain

+1 Fox4 i would have to agree. Littlevan i will tell you this! My sportster isn't going anywhere. I'm going to keep it and ride till the wheels fall off. I just hope they fall off while its parked and not with me on it while riding down the road. I'm going to get a bigger bike some day but right now i love my sporty. I will never trade this bike but one day i will add to the Hawg pen.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:19 AM
atlantaallen
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the Road King first (still do), but recently added the Iron 883.

Road King is very comfortable, smooth, and with good suspension. It is also feels much larger.

Besides for the looks, I bought a Sportster because it feels so agile and light compared to the RK.

The Sporty is a fun ride.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:47 AM
PRrdglide
Road Master
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

It depends on what type of ridding you are going to do and what comforts you want. We ride with a group of people that have Duel sports to the full dressers. I will tell you that the Heritage Softail is a good all around bike, But I did trade mine in for a Road Glide and have never regretted it . But next year I plan to have a Cross Bones sitting next to it for the around town bike. ( I always wanted a Springer)

Old 10-23-2009, 08:16 AM
nrs2420
Cruiser

After I bought my Sportster I started looking and decided if I was going to trade up it would be for a Dyna Street Bob. Although I really want a Cross Bones (Love the Springers too) I doubt that I would be able to afford it, but we'll see.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:21 AM
k&j eglide
Tourer

If you are basing your decision on what everyone else says you will be disappointed in the end. Without the trade, I suspect VROD's can be had at a substantial discount (new) and I would look at used prices to see how well they are holding their value. I say this because the trade-in program will add a new dimension to the deal. You will be requiring the dealer to give you MSRP for your Sportster but Sportster values are depressed right now, and they are going to want to recoup some of that lost value on the new bike. The trade up promo was dealer optional, and there isn't anything requiring them to discount the bike you trade up to.

Old 10-23-2009, 09:45 AM
BWLucky13
Road Master

As a general rule, the weight of a bike goes up directly with comfort and conversely with fun. The great part is that you get to pick where on the curve you want to be.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:45 PM
OldSport883
Intermediate

Here is the sad truth.

We all need 3 bikes.

I love the Sporty for short rides and zipping around in the summer with the little puppy all stripped down. It's my only bike, so in the winter I add the saddlebags, windshield, Sundowner seat and full face helmet.

I want a Softail Custom to run with the big dogs.

And I want a bagger for trips.

I could use a little dirt bike and would love an old shovel head.

Too much time in C&W bars drinking way too much beer for too many years. fightin' in the back parking lot and loosing more than wining. A guy wakes up one day, 40 years old and owns a worn out pick-up truck and two dogs.
Got it going straight, am now 72 years old, and have some savings, a house without a mortgage, a good woman, and do debt.
But those wasted years cost me a couple of really tricked out fine rides.

You want fine rides? Take care of business. Ride hard, but read a little Spinoza too. Sip on that single malt Scotch, but understand the truth of "The Enlightenment" and the brilliant beauty of science.

And ride safe. Don't mean it can't be hard!