Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

worthwile?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 11:18 PM
jonandcheryl
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default worthwile?

In my area you can get an 883 sportster for $99 a month which is all I can afford at this time. I have rented a roadking and enjoyed it very much. Those of you who have sporsters do you think a sportster would tide me over for a couple of years or would I just be disappointed? Thanks for your input.

Old 08-22-2009, 11:30 PM
old skool1983
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well yr new so i'll give ya a break. alot of us sporty guys have and will buy sporties not because we can't afford anything else but because they are the perfect modle for customizing into your own machine.

"trading up" is a term coined by the MOCO to try to get ppl to spend more $$ IMO

make sure that 99$ a month isn't for 9years or somethin crazy and make sure that it will stay 99 a month, i think in the fine print the changes in year 2 or 3 to regular monthly paymets of 2 or 3 hundred.

many ppl do like to trade in or start off with a BT nothin wrong with that they are awesome bikes. I can't wait to get a big ol'gezzer gluide to tool my wife all over the country on (she won't ride on anythin that isn't a caddy in the comfort arena lol) but i will NEVER get rid of my sporty.

i think if you have some imagination and the itch to ride, you will be extreamly happy with a sporty

Old 08-22-2009, 11:36 PM
stng_96
Road Master

Ill agree with old school pretty well, but I will have to say that if you like what the road king has to offer, I would not sign on the dotted line until you have tried out the sporty. It will be a completely different machine compared to what you have been on. Some things better, some things worse.

Old 08-23-2009, 01:08 AM
sajackson
Road Master

Don't mean to change the subject but where abouts in Michigan do you live?

Old 08-23-2009, 04:03 AM
WVleo
Road Master

Hi, Your in Michigan were Unemployment is above 15% and the real # probally closer to 20-21% . With a economy like that there are most likely dozens of good rides looking for homes ( Garage Queens ). Most likely already have the seat/pipe/sissybar/add-ons/bling attached. Maybe right now as You can only afford $99 per month it's not a good time to buy new. Harley finance will write a loan for a personal sale of one of there bikes I believe also. Harley's no longer command there unrealistic high resale and are now much more competitive in the used market. Just a thought...........Ride Safe.....WVleo

Old 08-23-2009, 05:50 AM
BradNailer
Cruiser

If you plan on using your motorcycle to go to Florida or California then you're going to be disappointed with a Sportster. If you want a motorcycle to ride to work or to blast around on back roads then the Sportster could be for you.
In other words, buy your motorcycle on the type of riding you plan on doing, not on the monthly installments.

Old 08-23-2009, 07:55 AM
old skool1983
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by BradNailer
If you plan on using your motorcycle to go to Florida or California then you're going to be disappointed with a Sportster..
uhhh? have you ever done this??? i have taken my scoot from centra FL to upstate NY and sinse the bike was set up for that kinda riddin it was a great trip with no hic ups.....

Originally Posted by BradNailer
In other words, buy your motorcycle on the type of riding you plan on doing, not on the monthly installments.
couldn't agree more

Last edited by old skool1983; 08-23-2009 at 11:38 AM.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:03 AM
teamstersteward
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

those 883 are a blast to ride one of my brothers and my son-in- law have em and they love em

Old 08-23-2009, 11:16 AM
midnight2005
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In other words, buy your motorcycle on the type of riding you plan on doing, not on the monthly installments.[/quote] +1
Comparing a sporty to a road king is like comparing apples to oranges. Thye do not ride the same, look the same, or anything the same. They both say Harley on the tank. You also have 2 different kinds of riders, Sporty riders are hard core, we will ride with our assess in the wind just to ride, we dont need air ride and a soft cushy seat or that stereo and windshield. Give us a seat pan and gas tank and we will ride it.
So the moral is back to line number 1, buy it for what you intend to use it for. Sportys can go on long trips, but you will have a sore *** and your wife will be jumping off on the next greydog terminal.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:23 AM
jbg
Road Warrior

If you think you can swing a new bike next year, plan on using the Ride for Free program and trading in the Sporty for the RK next year? I had that plan myself. However after getting the Sporty, I couldn't let her go. I don't anticipate ever trading her in now. My kids will get her when they're ready for her. Good luck.

Quick Reply: worthwile?