Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King versus XL 1200 C Sportster - medical issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 08:59 AM
lencap
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Road King versus XL 1200 C Sportster - medical issues

I sold my Softail Deluxe and Heritage Classic years ago due to health problems. Now that things are getting better I'm interested in getting another bike. I won't ride much - probably under 2500 miles a year - and I'm reluctant to invest a lot of money into a bagger, especially given my uncertain riding future due to health issues.

I'm attracted to a 2008 XL1200 C anniversary edition available from a private seller, but I have no experience on a Sportster. The bike is priced right and looks fine. Lots of people tell me that I'll be disappointed, especially coming from a larger bike. Yeah, I've heard all of the BS about Sportsters being "chick bikes", but after my surgeries the weight of a big bike is an issue.

So, the question: For those of you who have a Road King is the bike a fun ride for short around town rides? Does the weight affect how you ride or give you handling issues? How do you compare it to other Harleys that you've ridden or owned - especially a Sportster Classic (with the 21" wheel, not the fat front tire that seems to be everywhere these days)?

I also used to ride two up with the wife, but she doesn't enjoy riding as much any longer - arthritis (getting old sucks). So any bike I get will be mostly one up riding - another reason for looking at the lighter weight, easier to handle Sportster.

Finally, despite my attraction to the Sportster, I still would love to have a Road King (not classic - I like the locking fiberglas bags). Anyone who has had both the Sportster and the Road King I'd really love to hear your thoughts about each bike.

I've posted a similar comment on the Sportster section - trying to get as many viewpoints as possible.

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:09 AM
Challenger
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a sportster and an Electra Glide.

Sporty is my around town bike, 50 miles and my **** hurts somthing baaaaddd! But I love tooling around town and back and forth to work. Light and manuverable(sp)

Think of it this way,,,,The sportster is my Corvette, the Glide is the Caddy

Old 09-05-2011, 09:15 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

well, a road king is not a light weight- it's a touring bike, the only things missing are the fairing and radio.... they weigh over 800 pounds wet.

Sporty?- light weight, generally not used for long days in the saddle. maybe not that comfy.
Not sure about the resale value. The stigma about "chick's bike" completely ignores the fact that the sporty has great power potential and certainly a better power/weight ratio...and handling.
but the stigma is there--- as long as it's not something that bothers you, then why care.

"anniversary edition" pretty much meaningless- no added value. but if you like the paint...

another option would be a Dyna ( or an Evo FXR) both have a rubbermount drivetrains

My 88 FXR is stripped down and under 400 pounds wet.

The Gent I bought my FLHTC from went to a Dyna, his wife has issues and can't ride with him, gone were the thoughts of touring together, so he got something more fun for squirtin' around town and light touring.

so more options- I doubt the RK is what you want

mike

Old 09-05-2011, 09:19 AM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 235 Likes on 144 Posts

It would help if you were more specific about your medical issues, since you came off of softails I'll try to compare a Sportster to them. I don't think a Sportster is a girls bike, I think it's harder to handle than than a softail as it's more top heavy, I usually recommend that they try a Deluxe or a lowered Heritage unless money is the limiting factor. The RK is going to be more challenging if your problem is one of strength, I'm wondering why you're not interested in another Heritage, seems like that would be the best choice since you're familiar with riding one.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:37 AM
lencap
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the replies. Another Heritage would probably work, but to get it set the way I want would be far more than twice the price for a Sportster. I won't be riding all that much and I'm trying to keep the budget intact.

Add to that the lower weight of the sportster and it's easier for me to handle than the heavier weight of the Heritage.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:44 AM
strtarrow
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Never had a Sortster as I did not want to graduate to the bike I really wanted. I have however ridden them and granted they are much lighter but don't have an issue with the weight of a Road King. Ain't like I am carrying it around, just riding it. Great versatile all around, do anything bike IMO.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:50 AM
jlfabian
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My take is the Road King is great for around town riding. I've ridden several smaller bikes over time and while they are lighter, I don't think the Road King is any less versatile being a heavier bike. If handling the added weight is an issue, then certainly go with the lighter bike. But, I ride my RK for all sorts of rides from long runs to short hops. Admittedly, I like to ride my motorcycle.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:06 AM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You didn't say what medical issues you have but I would think a sporty, as fun as they are, would beat you up in the long run. I would suggest a bike in the dyna line. They are (IMO) some of the best handling harley around and they are also have a comfortable ride without getting into the heavier touring bikes.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:34 AM
Very High Plain Drifter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I ride a Road King around London. The weight of the bike really isn't an issue once you're going more than a few inches per hour! I've found that at low speeds the width of the bars is actually more of an issue - at anything near full lock it can be a long way out to the grip on the outside! The weight all but disappears.

Sportsters are great bikes and don't let anyone tell you different, but the quality of the ride isn't even in the same league as an FL. That being said, if you're buying new - take a close look at the SuperLow. It has a different suspension setup and steering geometry to the rest of the line.