General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full face helmets for Cruisers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 12:14 AM
Dr. Tiki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 572 Likes on 216 Posts

I just get on my bike and ride. Never really thought or cared about what other people are wearing these days. They have their choices and and I have mine, hell they could be butt ugly and are doing me a favor by wearing a FF... then again I have seen people that should be wearing a FF. LOL!

The following 2 users liked this post by Dr. Tiki:
blap (04-21-2020), BobRed0965 (04-30-2018)
Old 11-26-2009, 01:20 AM
Mr Haus
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Centerline
That said, I have never once, since I began riding in 1968, had a helmet perform its intended function.... but I am certain the first time I go without one will be the time it's needed.
I feel the same way... the first time I take off without mine will be the time I will regret not wearing it I'm sure.

I wear a 1/2 helmet year round. When the air is bitter cold in the mornings, I still wear it but also wear a neoprene face mask.

I wish I could find a ff helmet that didn't make me feel and look like "Jack in the Box". They also seem to restrict your hearing which worries me a bit. There is a part of me that cares about how I look on the bike also. I don't care what other people think about how I look, but if "I THINK" it looks dorky, then I won't wear it.

Old 11-26-2009, 01:32 AM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

I wouldn't drive one block down the street without my FF helmet on...I don't care how hot it is, what I look like...or whether it 'matches' my cruiser. I'm damn ugly enough without scar tissue on my kisser.

I'm almost 54, and have lived (so far) by making careful choices and not tempting the Grim Reaper to stop by for a visit. But isn't that the beauty of freedom: You get to decide what works best for you and your family.

Ride safe, my friend.

Old 11-26-2009, 01:44 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Haus
I wish I could find a ff helmet that didn't make me feel and look like "Jack in the Box". They also seem to restrict your hearing...
Having ridden both with and without, I can tell you the wind noise in your ears restricts your hearing far more than a FF. Without my helmet, once I hit 60, I can't even hear my bike over the roar of the wind in my ears. With my FF on, I can hear fine, no matter what the speed.

Old 11-26-2009, 02:14 AM
Gray_Drifter
Cruiser

I've always worn a ff helmet. I have no problem with half helmets, but I've just never found one that really fit good. I think I have a deformed head, because every time I try one on, I look like some kind of twisted "bobble-head" doll.

Old 11-26-2009, 02:33 AM
NorCal Dog
Road Master

been riding since '72

currently ride an '06 FatBoy

i wear a half helmet when it's real hot, & a modular the rest of the time, i wear earplugs with both, ( as i'm a musician & sustained wind noise will eff up your hearing faster than being on a loud stage )

all thru the years, i've never needed my helmet, it was always something i " had " to wear, until the one night i definitely needed it.

about a month ago I got T-Boned at an intersection by a young lady turning left, sent me airborn over the frontend & 220+ pounds landing on my head like a lawndart up by the curb.

i'm so thankful that the helmet did its job & provided me with ample protection from the shot to the head that i took, without head injury, ( altho my neck & back is a different story.

truthfully, i could care less as to what anyone else wears, the ins. co. has cut me a check to replace my helmet, ( as helmets are designed to be used once, then discarded ) & after we get done putting on a new frame on my scoot, i'll be wearing a new modular

Last edited by NorCal Dog; 11-26-2009 at 02:36 AM.
Old 11-26-2009, 02:50 AM
devils haircut
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Greenfed
To me, you look like a Mexican wrestler!
I am a mexican wrestler.

Old 11-26-2009, 08:21 AM
the_old_one_two
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gray_Drifter
I've always worn a ff helmet. I have no problem with half helmets, but I've just never found one that really fit good. I think I have a deformed head, because every time I try one on, I look like some kind of twisted "bobble-head" doll.
Have you tried Shoei or Arai? Most people's heads fit in either one of those. I think Shoei for a face that is slightly elongated and Arai for a more rounded head. I could have that backwards but I do have a slightly elongated face/head and the Shoei fits me well.

As far as hearing, I have found that it is not restricted that much. The Shoei vents are actually very impressive and keep my head cool.

Old 11-26-2009, 09:22 AM
JKAHD
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full Face Helmet

From one who has crashed and had my life saved by a full face helmet.....
good luck.

I am more worried about function than image.

Old 11-26-2009, 09:43 AM
smif
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I crashed a sport bike back in 2001 at 50-60 mph wearing a full face helmet. Banged my head several times as I bounced down the road like a rag doll. Lucked out with no serious injuries since I didn't come to any sudden stops.

On the Harley I haven't been wearing a helmet lately. I like it. I'm a beanie and goggles guy...just seems right for me. A beanie with the goggle strap over the ears cuts wind noise way down for me. I know if I do my rag doll impression again I'll be dead or seriously hurt...oh well. Like my favorite movie quote "Everybody gotta die sometime Red". (Platoon)

I think a FF with a dark tint shield looks cool, I just haven't convinced myself to get one yet.

Quick Reply: Full face helmets for Cruisers?