General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full face helmets for Cruisers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 05:26 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wear a 3/4 with a flip up shield. This last week, I had 3 large rocks hit me square in the middle of the shield. Big enough to knock out teeth, I believe. Not to mention the bugs and sand. You know the last thing to go through a bugs mind when it hits you? Its *******!

I was paralyzed from the neck down, 100%, back about 8 or 9 years ago. No helmet, and a bad ATV wreck. I can't say a helmet would have prevented my spinal injury, but it sure as hell wouldn't have hurt me any. I go nowhere without a helmet,and make my two daughters (ages 6 and 8) wear FF.

My 3/4 is a WOMBAT. Never heard of em, sounds like some kind of foreign animal. Am looking for a better helmet at this time. I am in bad enough shape as it is, so a helmet is a necessity fo rme. Thanx. RD

Old 04-17-2010, 06:28 PM
plowdownfarmon
6th Gear
Default Ditto

ditto

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 04-04-2016 at 03:47 PM.
Old 04-17-2010, 07:23 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 621 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by Greenfed
Call me crazy, but full face helmets and cruisers just don't mix!
Image over safety? Unbelievable!

Old 04-17-2010, 11:35 PM
Moose67
Advanced

Shorty around town and FF for highway speed. I want to keep all my teeth where they belong. Look at the windshield of your car, all those rocks that caused the chips would do some damage on an unprotected face.

Old 04-17-2010, 11:55 PM
NewAge
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, im all about the open road - my FF is only for highway speeds. I was doin about 75-80 one time on I-95 through Georgia and a big rig drifted of the road and kicked some rocks in the air. One caught me on the chin (This is when I had a Kaw Vulcan Classic without a windshield). It hurt like a mother^&$#er. Since then i have always worn the FF on highways. Now though, with my SG I only wear the FF when the temp drops.

Man what I would give to be in FL or Cali again.

Old 04-18-2010, 01:05 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by RandyDowdy
My 3/4 is a WOMBAT. Never heard of em, sounds like some kind of foreign animal.
Hodaka Motorcycles had models called a Wombat & a Combat Wombat. As far as animals go... a Wombat is an Australian Marsupial.

Old 03-30-2016, 01:38 PM
caddy65
Stage I

I wore a half helmet for years, just got tired of getting hit by flying rocks and getting dirt in my eyes. I was hesitant to get a full face, but after trying a few on I actually prefer it. It ventilates much better than I thought and I don't feel any warmer with it, and I'm in Hawaii. Rocks, bugs, and dirt are a thing of the past. Plus I installed A Bluetooth system and that is much better than wearing headphones.

Old 03-30-2016, 03:27 PM
LoneWoolf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 486 Posts

six year old thread?

Last edited by LoneWoolf; 03-30-2016 at 03:29 PM.
Old 03-30-2016, 03:39 PM
Kayakguy
Road Captain
Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts

I wear a modular but keep the chin guard down when riding. Its not just for safety but also for comfort. Often it keeps the rain off, the dust out, and the wind flows much nicer.

But I ride a lot, all year, and in most all conditions. I also wear riding boots, gloves, and an armored jacket. If I am on a bigger adv trip I have a full Kevlar mesh suit that is the bomb.

Everything is a compromise and personally I don't care what another wears. For me I use the basic safety gear as it really is no hindrance and typically makes me more comfortable physically. For instance a helmet for the aforementioned reasons. Real riding boots equal more comfort on long trips and while standing on the pegs, and a jacket for shielding just the right amount from the elements. The bonus is the protection it provides as well.

But I do adjust my gear based on the ride. However the helmet remains the same. A full face is just more comfortable for me.

ETA: I should have read the above post to realize how old this thread is. Wow.

Last edited by Kayakguy; 03-30-2016 at 03:42 PM.
Old 03-30-2016, 03:40 PM
Oldun
Cruiser
Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

Yes, the Thread Dredge (TM) strikes again.

A WOMBAT in the ER where I work is also known as a Waste Of Money, Brains And Time.

I always wear a full-face helmet when riding just because of wanting to be able to kiss The Bride and eat solid meals should I crash face-first, my fault or not. As others have said - it's 'interesting' to look at the pattern of stone chips and dead bugs on your visor and chin guard...

Works for me. Not trying to make it mandatory for anyone else.

Quick Reply: Full face helmets for Cruisers?