General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full face helmets for Cruisers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 07:39 AM
BugDr
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope everyone with no helmet and beanies has full coverage medical. I have seen way too many veggies in long term care facilities.

Old 04-14-2010, 04:31 PM
AThousandHurricanes
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well crap! I live in hot hot so cal and I wear my RF1100 everywhere since giving up on my ACC. Didn't realize I was doing it wrong!

Ff to me is a lot more comfortable, and a good quality helmet is light and has all the vision And venting you need. I prefer it now actually. Actually the more I see people mangled in accidents, the more I think I need to get a decent leather jacket and maybe some Kevlar jeans (I like the shift ones).

Also for the poser squad you will be pleased to know a certain 1% crew in my neck of the woods wears ff exclusively. I am sure there are several reasons, but I have to assume at least one of them is that they ride 20-40k Or more a year and they can work out that statistics for themselves. I doubt anyone calls The fashion police on them.

The ladies prefer my face as is, but to each his own.

Old 04-14-2010, 04:38 PM
bdawg
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IN SC, you do good to see people wearing a helmet at all. We have no Helmet law..

Old 04-14-2010, 05:08 PM
duoglider
Road Warrior
Received 300 Likes on 181 Posts

Ok...you're crazy. Wear what you want and leave the What Not To Wear to Stacy London. I could show her what not to wear!

Old 04-14-2010, 10:59 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by Greenfed
The weather here in central California gets extremely hot. When you're sweating your as@%$ off at slower speeds in a full face helmet, it's kind of hard to enjoy anything! Just a thought!
The above comments were true about my first FF helmet in 1971. And living in central California you only think you know what "extremely hot" means.

But get yourself a new FF helmet with vents, it doesn't even have to be a real expensive one. At a long stop light, we have some real killers here in Vegas, your head will start to sweat. But once you begin to move there is a cool breeze all around your head. It is much cooler then any other kind of helmet. It is even cooler then just having the sun bake a bare head on a hot summer day here in the desert.

It sounded impossible to me until I actually experienced it.

Ron

Old 04-14-2010, 11:15 PM
wolfie1961
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

While my son was growing up we all rode dirt bikes. I had always taught him never to ride his bike without his helmet. When I bought my bike I wasn't going to wear a helmet as I had never worn one when riding years ago. When he asked my why I thought that the asphalt was softer than the dirt it kind of hit me. He's 20 and I never realized that he ever heard a word I said!!!
He rides a street bike as well and told me of a story about riding next to a semi that lost a chunk of tire. It hit him in the face shield. I realized that we have a lot of rednecks with lifted trucks (me included) that are always kicking out rocks. I'm glad I listened to him because I had one hit me on Saturday that would have hurt like an SOB had I not been wearing my helmet.

Old 04-15-2010, 02:48 PM
marcshep
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tend to commute from the South Bay in California to San Francisco most days on my bike, without a full face I would look like I have bad acne. I've only had this helmet a year and it's already chewed up, replaced the faceshield already and am ready to do it again. On the screaming hot days during summer, i am tempted to change the leather jacket and full face to vest and half helmet, but the thoughts of all the rocks and bugs my full face gets keeps me from it.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:46 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

Construction season is in full swing around here. I wear a FF most of the time, but ride with the shield open until I hit about 50 mph or so. Today we had a pretty good breeze going - hit a few construction areas, and got my face sandblasted. It sucked.

Old 04-16-2010, 04:12 AM
USMAMule
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Greenfed
Call me crazy, but full face helmets and cruisers just don't mix! I can see "touring bikes" on a long haul but cruisin' the open road? Come on! For me, Harleys mean freedom. Why have a full face helmet? If you want to feel protected and enclosed, buy a car! If you want to feel more secure, buy a big car! If you want go fast, buy a Japanese bike and then you can use your full face helmet. But don't go cruisin' to enjoy the scenery and wear a full face helmet. To me, you look like a Mexican wrestler! Sorry if I offend anyone, but this is just my humble opinion! Now that I have my Harley, it's a half helmet and shades only because I'm in California and there's a helmet law! Freedom and enjoying the scenes and sounds of the open road! Now that's what it’s all about!
I think maybe your caffeine abuse has led you to abuse the poor Exclamation Mark. Give the poor little guys some rest.

Old 04-16-2010, 06:04 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by crashin
I'd like my family to be able to have an open casket if they want. Not too mention if I do live through an accident I'd like to still have my nose and chin.

If you see the helmet graphic that was posted a while back the majority of damage on helmets are in the face area. I will agree that I would not mandate helmets, but I would still wear one most of the time. I wore a full face helmet on my Sportster and I wear a full face on my Ultra. I still get the feeling of freedom and the open road, but I am protecting myself. In the end it is all about what risks you are comfortable with taking. My comfort level varies and at times I'll take my helmet off for a short jaunt.

I guess what I'm saying is your statement is pretty narrow-minded. In order to appreciate someone else's viewpoint you have to be able to see their motivations and you are only seeing your own.

I guess the point was, it doesn't make much sense to ride if you are that afraid all the time, so a car would be better.

Quick Reply: Full face helmets for Cruisers?