General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer says he wants to "make things right"

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 06:51 AM
dFREDb
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dealer says he wants to "make things right"

I had a bad experience with my local dealer, and ended up sending them a 3 page letter detailing my concerns, the main ones being a lack of communication and numerous delays with the service department. Basically, my bike took over 3 weeks to complete even after all the parts came in, and I literally begged them to keep in touch with me to give me any progress with the repairs. I didn't ask them to call me every day with every little detail, but I only found out that the bike was nearing completion when I called the day before it was to be finished. When I finally picked it up and began my ride to work, I topped off the fuel tank and gas started pouring down the tank from under the speedo housing dripping onto the hot engine and exhaust-a very dangerous situation. To their credit, they picked up the bike and quickly reseated the housing gasket and I was on my way again. The only guy with the ***** to offer his sincere apologies was the tech who had done most of the repairs. I have supported this dealership with thousands of dollars of purchases and add-ons, and have recommended them to friends and given them credit in motorcycle forums etc. Now the service manager wants to meet with me and all involved tomorrow morning. I have no intention of ripping them a new one, and I'm not looking for free stuff. What advice can y'all give me to make this meeting constructive for everyone involved, yet not get the brush off just to make it all just "go away". The incident also involved requested parts not being installed (just a couple of chrome goodies) and missed work. I don't want to be an azzhat, but I don't want to get walked on either. Sorry for the long rant.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:09 AM
ANIMAL03
Grand HDF Member
Received 755 Likes on 478 Posts

lay it on the line. tell them exactly how you feel. and that you would have 2nd thoughts about recommending them to anyone if they dont improve their communication. that should get there attention.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:18 AM
The Reverend D
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Be honest, straight forward, and above all, calm. The other guy has to hear you. Don't back them into a corner because then they have nowhere to go.

It sounds like they want to make good on their bad behaviour, so I agree with Animal. Just be completely straight with them. Lay it on the line CALMLY but HONESTLY and you'll be surprised how far you'll get.

If their offer is unfair, stay calm and say, "I'm afraid that's not good enough, thanks for your efforts" and give them a chance to meet your expectations and if they don't, thank them for their time and walk.

Staying cool and collected is the way. That way they either stay cool or look like fools.

Good luck! It sounds like these guys have wasted a bunch of your time and taken away a lot of the fun and joy that comes with buying a new bike. Sorry your experience was bad.

Stay cool and get out and ride!

Old 10-06-2009, 07:19 AM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 704 Likes on 337 Posts

Send them a link to this post. It explains your concerns perfectly, and also will make them aware that you post this type of info.

FYI, when I sold HD's, I always checked out all the forums to read about buyers concerns. I think it made me better at the job, and I'm sure it will make them better at handling customers in the future. They will appreciate it, and I'm sure you will be treated right.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:25 AM
dFREDb
Club Member

Originally Posted by Scout
Send them a link to this post. It explains your concerns perfectly, and also will make them aware that you post this type of info.

FYI, when I sold HD's, I always checked out all the forums to read about buyers concerns. I think it made me better at the job, and I'm sure it will make them better at handling customers in the future. They will appreciate it, and I'm sure you will be treated right.
I'm on it! Have already made copies of my positive comments on HD Forums for them to read during our little chat! Should be interesting. Like I said, I want a positive outcome for everyone. I prefer to spend my dollars to support local businesses.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:29 AM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

demand a new bike

Old 10-06-2009, 07:49 AM
CroK
Banned

Originally Posted by Scout
You took the thought straight out of my head. I was thinking that very same thing just prior to getting to your response.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:56 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

The main thing is to be straight with them, stay calm and be willing to listen, also. Oh yeah, at the very last minute mention how it would be a nice gesture if they gave you a 50% lifetime discount at their shop.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:58 AM
Haulen Ass
Former Sponsor
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Just simply present all your facts and don't get hot headed. Tell them the good and bad you've expeeianced and how you would like to continue your business with them.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:02 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I wouldn't go back.
Quality in service is quite a big deal in this economy.
I would let them know though that I wasn't gonna darken thier doors anymore

Quick Reply: Dealer says he wants to "make things right"