General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to do....

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 07:55 PM
stick_hd
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do....

I purchased my 09 deluxe maybe about 1 1/2 months ago. Really like it at the dealer, enjoyed the ride. Then after about 30+ miles on the way home it became pretty apparent that I was just to big for this bike. Cant get comfortable on it, changed the seat, was very little help. I could spend 2-3 grand on stuff to make it fit me better or... The dealer I bought it from are acting like di*ks so I found another dealer I was originally gonna buy from. ( should have). They are offering me a 09 Street Glide for about 3k difference. Now I know I'm losing money and it sucks, but I want a few of you guys opinions on what you'd do if you were in my situation. I don't even enjoy the deluxe unless just cruising around town for a little bit. So should I just suck it up and call it a lesson learned or keep a bike I don't like? BTW, I'm 6'10" 240, and I have rode a SG of my friends and it definatly feels alot better. Thanks.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:58 PM
AtkRWC
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you don't like it and won't ride it then your out a lot more. Trade and your happy.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:59 PM
Madav8tr
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Suck it up and get something you will ride and enjoy it. Losing money sucks but spending money for something you're not using sucks worse. Get the Street Glide.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:00 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,104 Likes on 1,024 Posts

Dump it, and take the loss if ya have to!

Old 10-13-2009, 08:10 PM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Live and learn; trade it and be happier.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:17 PM
stick_hd
Cruiser

Thanks for the replys. I just needed some positive reinforcement that I was making the right decision. I'm headed down saturday morning to get everything worked out. Hopefully it all goes smooth.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:18 PM
Butt Ugly
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, it would be better to trade now and just plan on keeping one that fitts you longer to make up the 3K, but I wonder if at your height the SG would be too small too. Have you tried a Road King? They are taller and if you have to you can fit a retro big seat to it too.
You should do something though. No sense racking up any more miles on a bike you won't be happy with. Bite the bullet. Trade off.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:18 PM
pork
Cruiser
Default Consider this

That's not a bad price difference, assuming that the SG is new.

However, consider this. The Deluxe was obviously the wrong bike for you. I personally think that the SG may be as well. At least try riding some ElectraGlides, which are taller than the SG. The SG has a lowered suspension with less travel, and you don't need that. In fact, at your height and weight, you should look for a much taller bike with much more suspension under it. You can obviously flatfoot any of them.

Also, think really hard about what you will actually be using the bike for. It sounds like riding around town for a few hours is not really what you want to do. With an EG, you can make the tour pack detachable and be really close to the look of an SG for catting around town occasionally, then put the tour pack back on and go touring on a much better road bike. If you get the EG Ultra Classic, you will also have CB and intercom, which are very expensive to add to the SG.

If you are looking at the Deluxe and the SG because you like the low slung look, even and EG Ultra Classic is going to look low slung under you.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:29 PM
giroman
Advanced

trade it, i recently traded my 08 deluxe for a 09 street glide and im very happy now, i spent a few thousand on accessories for the deluxe ( seat, windshield, bags, engine guard etc. )and it still wasn't what i wanted. so my suggestion is to trade now before you lose more money.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:31 PM
Softtail Deluxe
Road Captain

The Deluxe was made for shorter people like myself , even GG could attest to that . I'm guessing that the only way a man of your size could be comfortable , would be to swap out the stock floorboards for forward controls . Give it a thought before you lose any money .

Quick Reply: What to do....