General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to do....

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 08:42 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The FLHX has a one inch SHORTER wheelbase than the FLSTN; what makes you think you'll like it better? All bikes are a compromise fit, and the compromise is they fit the average size person. You can adjust the bike's fit by moving the footboards forward and buying a seat that moves you back, among other adjustments. Someone as tall as you would have to do this with any bike but an individually customized one.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:43 PM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm no expert on the bigger bikes but I can tell you that if you don't make the trade you will end up with a bike you don't like and you won't ride it.

Listen to these guys that know about what they speak. You are a big guy, it seems you would want a taller bike with forward controls.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:49 PM
OsoFat
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely need to trade, but for what? I think you ought to take a step back, catch your breath and study the bikes. Look at the specs: seat height, pegs, bars, etc. Rent an SG for the weekend or ride a buddies for a couple of days. Ride some other bikes. Don't just jump at the first thing that looks better or feels better on a short test ride, then come back on here in a few weeks saying that bike didn't fit either, and your out more of your hard earned cash.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:57 PM
Wallaby
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree on trading B4 spending big $$ on the Deluxe and still being unhappy/uncomfortable. You are not an average sized rider, so don't be be in too much of a hurry to do lots of road testing and homework B4 deciding on your next ride, after all, the dollars are already lost (if/when you trade), so time is on your side.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:18 PM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm thinking at 6'10" 240 just about anything you get is going to feel small...I'm 6'3" 240 and I know the feeling...nothing fits

Old 10-13-2009, 09:22 PM
stick_hd
Cruiser

I was always curious about the EG, if it'd strip down like the SG. Thats nice to know. Thanks for all the input, I guess I'm gonna take my time at the dealer and check out everything. And the idea of renting one for a few days/weekend sounds like a very good idea.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:33 PM
robo1211
Cruiser

Originally Posted by stick_hd
I was always curious about the EG, if it'd strip down like the SG. Thats nice to know. Thanks for all the input, I guess I'm gonna take my time at the dealer and check out everything. And the idea of renting one for a few days/weekend sounds like a very good idea.
had the whole process started with several weekends with several different rental bikes, you would know what works for you, and had a great time!

Old 10-13-2009, 09:55 PM
tripwire759
Road Warrior
Received 50 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by stick_hd
TEST RIDE!!! I'm 6'2 205 and I have pushed the seat back and added cruise arms to strech out a bit. So far so good. I would test ride a few then make then pull the trigger.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:03 PM
roadkingsaddlebrooke
Cruiser
Default Loosing money on a bike.

I bought a new Road Glide back a couple of years ago. The next day, while in front of the DMV, I was asked by my girl friend if I was really sure if that was the right bike for me. I thought, screw it, and took it right back to the dealer. Lost $3-4k on that mistake, but am glad I decided to dump it. Just didn't like the frame mounted fairing!

Attached Thumbnails What to do....-back-on-the-heritage-005.jpg  
Old 10-13-2009, 10:20 PM
stick_hd
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 2kids3pets
I'm thinking at 6'10" 240 just about anything you get is going to feel small...I'm 6'3" 240 and I know the feeling...nothing fits
Yeah, It's not a big persons world thats for sure. I have problems with alot of stuff, clothes, cars, door frames..... I've always wanted a harley and plan on having one for a long time. I just pulled the trigger to early cuz I was excited about having one. And the reason I had asked people if the EG would strip down was I'm 26, and unless I'm going on a trip I don't need all that extra space.

Quick Reply: What to do....