General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to do....

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 11:26 PM
TMM
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm 6'4", 270lbs. 56 years old. Hadn't had a bike since selling my '03 Road King in '04.
Been planning on getting another H-D and in April I walked into my local dealership to look at decals, rode out on a very nice used 2006 Deluxe. Beautiful bike. Had the 95 inch kit, cams, pipes, the whole deal. Ran awesome. I loved to look at it, but riding...
After about 30 minutes I was really starting to hurt, bike really had me wadded up on it. In June, I walked back into the same dealership and rode out on an 09 Road King. Lots more room, although the saddle leaves a bit to be desired, comfortwise, for more than a couple hour ride. Same on the bars. I'm going to send the seat to Mean City this winter to get them to adjust it some and see how that works out. Bought a set of Heritage "Style" bars, but haven't installed them yet. I'm starting to think some sort of Apes will work, and after sitting on a friends Road King with 12" apes, think I'm going to go that way.

You're a half foot taller than me so I hope you can get a touring type like an Ultra, or Road Glide, or Road King, and get the correct parts to make it fit you. Good luck.
I don't think you'll be able to do it with the Deluxe.

Last edited by TMM; 10-13-2009 at 11:29 PM.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:48 PM
Silverslider
Tourer
Default Yep

I had the same problem. Bought a Rocker C and though it was a great ride, but it just wasn't right. It was more of a convience issue for me; no storage or fairing etc. After owning rides with the conviences my whole life I thought I was ready for a change....nope. Sold the Rocker a year later, took a loss and bought what really made me happy, 09 Street GLide.
Get what makes you happy its worth the loss.

Old 10-13-2009, 11:55 PM
Solitaree1
Road Master

I guess cutting your legs off at the knees is out of the question. That said, do like others suggest, get what fits. Doesn't matter if you got a good deal or not, if you are not comfortable riding, you aren't going to ride, and then you've wasted a heck of a lot of coin. If I may suggest, find a dealer that rents, rent one for a day or a weekend, make sure it truly fits before you take a loss, and end up with another bike you are not comfortable on. Just my 2 cents. happy ridin

Old 10-14-2009, 04:37 AM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Where's Gumby's input when you need it? Isn't that bean pole 6'8" or something. He's had alot of bikes and might have some other suggestion too. You might see if you can find a demo day at a dealer near you where you can ride several different bikes without having to rent. Best of luck and let us know what you finally wind up with.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:55 AM
hullhorr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 182 Posts

I would defiantly look at a Road King as other have stated before buying the Street Glide. If you bought a Deluxe I would assume a fairing wasn't something you wanted initially. If that's still the case the Road King is better for taller gents and doesn't have the fairing plus there about $3K less than the SG. Might be more of an even swap.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:16 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanx (I THINK ??), Ms Peaches.

Stick, FIRST and 'foremost':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NvgLkuEtkA

Now, that we have THAT outta da way, IT SUX, doesn't it ?????

01 Ultra - replaced handlebars, (stockers ALWAYS git tangled up with the knees, NOT GOOD !!!), Zeppelin air seat.(Think 'UP' here, not fwd. It will/can 'tilt' you back) Trunk relocation, rearward. Floorboards outward. Ext. brake pedal. Actually made it 'comfortable'/enjoyable.

FXs - Think fwd controls, here. 3* neck bearings, 2" tubes, mini-apes. (Get's you away from that Shriner on a mini, look) Saddlebarges and wimpshield are optional, of course. Some will say they are NOT 'touring' quality, B.S. They can and do, ride as decent as anything, out there.

Softails - Again, think fwd controls. NOT jus' the peg type, but there are 'swivel' models, WITH oval floorboards, for those of us, STUCK in the 50's. This is one of the options, being entertained here, for the 78 FLH.

What would "I" be looking at, IF I were buying 'newer'?

Road King. Start with bars. BUT I'd keep them 'down' a bit, reason??? I'd also opt for either the Quadzilla or Memphis Shades (no radio ! ) quik-tach 'batwing' fairy. And also the quik tach trunk, for the RK. Getting a picture yet??? When done, it looks like an EG, BUT everything comes OFF easily. 3 wimpshield/fairy options(none, police style, batwing) 3 saddlebarge/trunk options(none, bags, bags n trunk). radio option. The seat can be cut down and reshaped, or IF you find one in the aftermarket, GREAT !!! You can 'solo' it, or 'bag' it 2 up.

The SG/EG "may" be an easier 'fit', but very limited in 'options' as mentioned above. You're stuck with the fairy, etc.

NOW, ALL that said, I ride the one that "fits" me, BEST. The one I put together. YOU would be, one of a very small handful, that could git on it, and REACH the pedals !!!!
Granted, to MOST, it is NOT a tourer, OF ANY shape, kind, color or creed. But, we seem to do "okay". And THANX to the Azzklownz on here, IT is NOW a tourer

My 'alternate'/'road' scoot, is a 78 FLH. But, like yours, it is 'cramped'. I can pound further on the Cap'n, than I can, Black Betty. Picking away at it, tho. It has mini apes, slightly fwd controls, solo seat(frame mount). I want ol' style floorboards, BUT stock is, likewise, 'too close'. So the 'swivel' mounts, above, are 'in the running'. Going 'back' to the pogo solo 'police' style seat (UP !!!) and will prob'ly redrill the "T" bar, to get it back as far as possible. $$, allows, 3* neck bearings, to 'lengthen' it.

Jus' a couple of suggestions, that worked for me. Hope it helps ya.

Beg, borrow, or steal, some rides on a few 'others', as posted. I've ridden a couple of SGs, like 'em, but, IMHO, we're back to the 'cramped' and it needs redoing to make it a L-O-N-G hauler for those of us, vertically 'enhanced'.

BUT do ALL of US, a FAVOR. Whilst you are 'test' riding scoots down at the dealer, PLEEZ test ride a Hugger, have the wife take pics, and post here. THANK YOU !!!!

BUT these, actually "fit" us.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:36 AM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Talking

You're welcome as it was meant with an abundance of affection and respect. Your reply was worth waiting for as usual, though the "short people" vid was a "low" blow.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:26 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I once bought a bike and could not stand to ride it more then 30 mins at a time I had it 6 days and then took a $1k loss and got the bike I should have got in the first place. It sucks, but happens. Rest the SG and make sure you like it first then trade if you do.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:15 AM
Pussboy
Cruiser

Daytona HD may still have that chopper they were building for Shaq! I saw it down there one year! I am 6'2" and the deluxe seemed small to me. I got a crossbones with the '25 seat that sits you back further. I like how you sit up on the bike.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:42 PM
stick_hd
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Da Gumpmeister

Thanx (I THINK ??), Ms Peaches.

Stick, FIRST and 'foremost':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NvgLkuEtkA

Now, that we have THAT outta da way, IT SUX, doesn't it ?????

01 Ultra - replaced handlebars, (stockers ALWAYS git tangled up with the knees, NOT GOOD !!!), Zeppelin air seat.(Think 'UP' here, not fwd. It will/can 'tilt' you back) Trunk relocation, rearward. Floorboards outward. Ext. brake pedal. Actually made it 'comfortable'/enjoyable.

FXs - Think fwd controls, here. 3* neck bearings, 2" tubes, mini-apes. (Get's you away from that Shriner on a mini, look) Saddlebarges and wimpshield are optional, of course. Some will say they are NOT 'touring' quality, B.S. They can and do, ride as decent as anything, out there.

Softails - Again, think fwd controls. NOT jus' the peg type, but there are 'swivel' models, WITH oval floorboards, for those of us, STUCK in the 50's. This is one of the options, being entertained here, for the 78 FLH.

What would "I" be looking at, IF I were buying 'newer'?

Road King. Start with bars. BUT I'd keep them 'down' a bit, reason??? I'd also opt for either the Quadzilla or Memphis Shades (no radio ! ) quik-tach 'batwing' fairy. And also the quik tach trunk, for the RK. Getting a picture yet??? When done, it looks like an EG, BUT everything comes OFF easily. 3 wimpshield/fairy options(none, police style, batwing) 3 saddlebarge/trunk options(none, bags, bags n trunk). radio option. The seat can be cut down and reshaped, or IF you find one in the aftermarket, GREAT !!! You can 'solo' it, or 'bag' it 2 up.

The SG/EG "may" be an easier 'fit', but very limited in 'options' as mentioned above. You're stuck with the fairy, etc.

NOW, ALL that said, I ride the one that "fits" me, BEST. The one I put together. YOU would be, one of a very small handful, that could git on it, and REACH the pedals !!!!
Granted, to MOST, it is NOT a tourer, OF ANY shape, kind, color or creed. But, we seem to do "okay". And THANX to the Azzklownz on here, IT is NOW a tourer

My 'alternate'/'road' scoot, is a 78 FLH. But, like yours, it is 'cramped'. I can pound further on the Cap'n, than I can, Black Betty. Picking away at it, tho. It has mini apes, slightly fwd controls, solo seat(frame mount). I want ol' style floorboards, BUT stock is, likewise, 'too close'. So the 'swivel' mounts, above, are 'in the running'. Going 'back' to the pogo solo 'police' style seat (UP !!!) and will prob'ly redrill the "T" bar, to get it back as far as possible. $$, allows, 3* neck bearings, to 'lengthen' it.

Jus' a couple of suggestions, that worked for me. Hope it helps ya.

Beg, borrow, or steal, some rides on a few 'others', as posted. I've ridden a couple of SGs, like 'em, but, IMHO, we're back to the 'cramped' and it needs redoing to make it a L-O-N-G hauler for those of us, vertically 'enhanced'.

BUT do ALL of US, a FAVOR. Whilst you are 'test' riding scoots down at the dealer, PLEEZ test ride a Hugger, have the wife take pics, and post here. THANK YOU !!!!

BUT these, actually "fit" us.

Thanks for all that, alot of good and usefull info. I'll definatly keep all that in mind while at the dealer this weekend and make sure not to rush into anything. I dont have any funny pictures on mini-bikes but I figured I'd post one of me with two friends at the bowling alley one night.

Quick Reply: What to do....