General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vehicle registration renewal ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 11:22 PM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CWDoc115
Here in Virginia, we have the option to renew our vehicles for 2 years. So the bikes get renewed in the odd years, & the jeep gets renewed in the even years. Works for me...
I wish we had that option. Personally, I think I'd try to renew everything in one year and then not have to worry about it for 24 months. I wouldn't mind that either.

Old 01-18-2010, 01:32 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by CWDoc115
Here in Virginia, we have the option to renew our vehicles for 2 years. So the bikes get renewed in the odd years, & the jeep gets renewed in the even years. Works for me...
They still nail you for insane amounts of "personal property taxes" when you renew your plates?

Old 01-18-2010, 01:49 AM
R-Jay
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In Montana we get a tag for about $96. It's good till the year 99,999! :-)

Old 01-18-2010, 05:01 AM
C O L E M A N F U
Road Captain

Yea = think it depends on the county? Where ya got that thing? I would try to do it online 1st. I do the 2 years at a time deal here in Volusia County. I think it was $80? Don't run with an expired tag - that will make ya an easy target.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:52 AM
scoobysteve
Cruiser

wow thanks everyone, they probably did send a renewal notice. But I own a vacation home here in FL and I dont have a post box so my mail gets sent to my HOA. Plus I was back in Europe when it would have arrived, I also checked online last night but the process seems to require a sosial security number which of course I dont have. Will there be any forms I have to complete if I go to the DMV today, the reason I ask is I did not bring my reading glasses with me and it might be a bit of a struggle, (God I sound so old when I typed that) if I do and they can be downloaded online I could have a go at filling them in before I go. Thanks again will give it a go today and see what happens. "just want to ride"

Old 01-18-2010, 08:03 AM
ElectraEd
Cruiser

Originally Posted by scoobysteve
wow thanks everyone, they probably did send a renewal notice. But I own a vacation home here in FL and I dont have a post box so my mail gets sent to my HOA. Plus I was back in Europe when it would have arrived, I also checked online last night but the process seems to require a sosial security number which of course I dont have. Will there be any forms I have to complete if I go to the DMV today, the reason I ask is I did not bring my reading glasses with me and it might be a bit of a struggle, (God I sound so old when I typed that) if I do and they can be downloaded online I could have a go at filling them in before I go. Thanks again will give it a go today and see what happens. "just want to ride"
If the plate is already registered in your name all you should need is the current registration and a current insurance card. There should be no paperwork to fill out on a renewal.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:41 AM
scoobysteve
Cruiser

Originally Posted by ElectraEd
If the plate is already registered in your name all you should need is the current registration and a current insurance card. There should be no paperwork to fill out on a renewal.

Thanks for that, how would I know if the plate is registered in my name. Also is the vehicle registration document the little piece of paper that the yellow dated tag was stuck too, thats all I seem to have apart from the Title deed to the bike. Thanks again.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:44 AM
scoobysteve
Cruiser

sorry to ask what must seem to be dumb questions only in the UK we dont use anythuing like your system here. So here goes.

When my yellow sticker on my number plate is out of date when I renew this what am I renewing, is it the registration, someone mentioned earlier on in this thread about renewing my plates what does that mean. what does the term tags refer too, is it the yellow dated tag or the actual number plate ?? its not very clear sorry.

Its so confusing to me when I see terms Tag renewal, License plate renewal and vehicle registration renewal. All I see on my bike is a number plate with a yellow dated sticker on it (which is out of date) and I assume the bike is registered somewhere becuae I have a title deed to it.

Last edited by scoobysteve; 01-18-2010 at 09:05 AM.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:05 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

License plates, plates, tags and registration all refer to the same thing. I the past, they actually issued you a new metal number plate every year. Then the switched to just giving you the little colored sticker (it will be a different color for 2010 - the color changes every year).

Your registration is indeed the paper on which the yellow sticker was affixed. It has information about you (name, address, etc) and the vehicle (year, make, model, vehicle type, etc.). Bring that to DMV and they should will hook you right up.

Old 01-18-2010, 04:14 PM
Conch-RK
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In Florida we renew the registration for our vehicles at the Tax Collectors Office. You will need proof of insurance when you renew. On the form you need your policy number, name of Insurance Company and their 5 diget code that Florida gives to each insurance company. Just filled all 6 forms today (only one bike, 2 trucks, 2 boats and a trailer) to take in tomorrow, $41.15 for mc if you go in person for one year. At least that's what it is in the Keys.

Quick Reply: Vehicle registration renewal ???