General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vehicle registration renewal ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 04:22 PM
scoobysteve
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Conch-RK
In Florida we renew the registration for our vehicles at the Tax Collectors Office. You will need proof of insurance when you renew. On the form you need your policy number, name of Insurance Company and their 5 diget code that Florida gives to each insurance company. Just filled all 6 forms today (only one bike, 2 trucks, 2 boats and a trailer) to take in tomorrow, $41.15 for mc if you go in person for one year. At least that's what it is in the Keys.

Thanks, is the form available to download and if so what is the form number or code please. Steve

Old 01-19-2010, 05:13 AM
Conch-RK
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve, the 5 digit code is unique for each insurance company licensed to sell policy's in Florida. If you have Progressive the code is 02960. I have USAA on my trucks and their 5 digit code is 02865. It should be on your Policy. Also each county in Florida has a tax collector who you have to do this with, it is not a Florida State type thing as with other States that have State Division's of Motor Vehicle Agency (DMV). Also, if you do this on line your going to have a lag time to get your new plate or decal. Since yours is expired if you go in person you walk out with what you need.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:25 AM
scoobysteve
Cruiser

Thanks everyone off this morning to get my tag (hopefully) Steve

Old 01-19-2010, 10:10 AM
huffhuff
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 01-19-2010, 05:19 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 802 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by Conch-RK
In Florida we renew the registration for our vehicles at the Tax Collectors Office. You will need proof of insurance when you renew. On the form you need your policy number, name of Insurance Company and their 5 diget code that Florida gives to each insurance company. Just filled all 6 forms today (only one bike, 2 trucks, 2 boats and a trailer) to take in tomorrow, $41.15 for mc if you go in person for one year. At least that's what it is in the Keys.
motorcycle do not require insurance in florida..only insurance required would be if not using a helmet or if there is a loan...bank would require insurance

Old 01-19-2010, 06:35 PM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by I'm
motorcycle do not require insurance in florida..only insurance required would be if not using a helmet or if there is a loan...bank would require insurance
Really? Not even liability insurance? I thought the whole country had bought into that one. It galls me that I'm forced by "law" to buy insurance but it is what it is. If the bank is involved, that's a different deal. They have a right to protect their investment.

Texas requires liability insurance for any vehicle licensed for the street regardless of how many wheels it has. If you want to ride without a helmet, you have to be over 21 (I think, might be 18) and you have to provide proof of "medical" insurance. I've not heard of that one being enforced too much so far in terms of ticketing but I'm sure they'll use it to hang you out to dry if they get the chance.

Ride Safe,
Steve R.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:23 AM
scoobysteve
Cruiser

OK strange story about this, when I purchased the bike in June 09 from a dealer in Kissimmee they registered the bike for me but got my Birth date wrong being from the UK we use the day/month/year format and my birthday is in April so it should have been 4/10 not 11/09 so they sorted that out for free and I paid for a year $41 so now its where it should be 4/11. Sorted.