General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GPS Barewire Kit Install Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 11:24 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Default GPS Barewire Kit Install Questions

What size Eyelets you use to connect to battery? The wires are real small. This wire kit has the built in voltage regulator and light, leave it or do you think I should make it switchable?

Old 02-09-2010, 05:11 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

IMO, a GPS is no different than any other instrument or electronic accessory. I would not wire it to the battery, but tie it into an existing "switched" circuit. A GPS draws very little power, and any of your existing switched circuits can handle the small additional load. Yes, you need to keep the voltage regulator in the line between the power tie-in point and the GPS.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:42 AM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

I intended to leave the regulator in place, my concern was with direct wiring, the power is always on. I guess if it draws so little, there probably isn't much to worry about battery drain. But when I think about it, the power is constantly on anyway with the clock and Security System. This power draw must be minimal.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:01 AM
CaptainCHet
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hardwired mine directly to the battery; it was a quick way to hook it up. I just, carefully, stripped the ends and wrapped them around the same eyelets as the battery tender connection. Probably not the best solution, but it works.

The fact the power is on all the time (of course if it's plugged into the GPS) is actually OK with me. If I stop for any reason (gas, take a photo, etc.) I really prefer to have the unit not turn off. But then again, that's just me.

I've posted some photos of installing my bare wire for my GPS here in case you are interested. Click on the link in the first post.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/elect...e-softail.html

Old 02-09-2010, 12:14 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

Hey CC
I noticed those pics while in that thread. I also noticed the cut out on the cradle you did for the power cord. Was the cord not making good enough connection to the GPS, hence you removed that little cross member? If so, guess I need to do that to mine too.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:21 PM
CaptainCHet
Cruiser

Originally Posted by BlockHead96
Hey CC
I noticed those pics while in that thread. I also noticed the cut out on the cradle you did for the power cord. Was the cord not making good enough connection to the GPS, hence you removed that little cross member? If so, guess I need to do that to mine too.
I guess I didn't put the photo up to show exactly why I cut the cradle. The mini-usb plug due to the right angle of the plug could not even reach the GPS unless that piece was cut. Perhaps if it was a straight plug it would have reached.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:30 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

Gotcha!

I have the Ram mount and the GPS should be delivered tomorrow, I'll check that out when it comes and remove if necessary. Thanks for the heads up. I'm also using the Gilsson bare wire kit, so my bet is I'll have to cut that cross member out.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:41 PM
CruzN
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hardwire

I have Electro-Glide and wired my usb to the back side of the cigarette lighter inside the fairing.

But on my old bike, I run a regular 18 gauge wire back to the battery compartment. I found a switched hot wire for the schematics then spliced into the wire. But a the other end, I stripped the very thin wire off the usb back about 2 inches. The stripped about an inch off the 18 gauge wire. Solidered them together then used heat swink for weather protections.

Worked great.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:14 PM
69z28
Road Warrior

I realize all bikes don't have but I just plug mine into the cigarette lighter on my Ultra.

Old 02-10-2010, 06:58 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

You think the length of the Bare Wire is calibrated to the Voltage Reg? Not much space under the seat of a Dyna. If not, I want to cut to the length I need.

Quick Reply: GPS Barewire Kit Install Questions