General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Question - Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 10:26 PM
Thatzmister2u
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch Question - Please help!

Ok guys...Desperate here! Gonna be mid sixties and clear tomorrow. First good ride weather in weeks. Today went out to get gas and on way home felt a "ding"/clunk in left handle. Stopped, looked around nothing. Everything seemed fine. Got home kept looking and I see it. On clutch assembly there are two holes/pins. One that hinges the handle and the other I am presuming holding the end of clutch cable. The clutch cable hole is empty (see all the way through it). Why is my clutch still working and can I ride to dealer? Can I fix myself. Dying for that ride tomorrow! Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

E-

Old 02-12-2010, 10:29 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Did you lose the pin?

Old 02-12-2010, 10:32 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not trying to be smart here, but are you seeing the hole for a bar mounted mirror? If your clutch is working, it cant be the pin that holds the clutch cable

Old 02-12-2010, 10:35 PM
Thatzmister2u
Road Captain

Originally Posted by BennieSG
Not trying to be smart here, but are you seeing the hole for a bar mounted mirror? If your clutch is working, it cant be the pin that holds the clutch cable
Not taking as smart at all! Just looking for help! Thanks for responding. Its a street Glide with fairing mounted mirrors. Doesn't seem like a mirror mount and part of it moves! Previous bikes it held the cable end.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:37 PM
Thatzmister2u
Road Captain

Originally Posted by xxxflhrci
Did you lose the pin?
That is my conclusion but why is my clutch still working and what do I have to do to fix it? Can I ride to dealer?

Old 02-12-2010, 10:40 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member

You should have 2 holes on the outside of the perch. One has a pin that goes all the way through with a snap ring on the other side. The other hole is for bar mounted mirrors. I have an SG as well and have the hole for mirrors. Inside the perch..not visiable there is a white plastic type pin that holds the cable. If that pin is someone missing your clutch wont work.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:44 PM
Thatzmister2u
Road Captain

You should have 2 holes on the outside of the perch. One has a pin that goes all the way through with a snap ring on the other side. The other hole is for bar mounted mirrors. I have an SG as well and have the hole for mirrors. Inside the perch..not visiable there is a white plastic type pin that holds the cable. If that pin is someone missing your clutch wont work.
No pin, no ring. Not at bike to look (at dinner and can't even eat cause I'm so freaked). The hing for clutch handle with a screw and then a half inch away on the handle itself is the empty hole. I think the pin is gone. How do I replace?

Old 02-12-2010, 10:49 PM
Gypsylady
-Moderator-"Wench with a Wrench and Queen of Quips"
Received 1,980 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by Thatzmister2u
No pin, no ring. Not at bike to look (at dinner and can't even eat cause I'm so freaked). The hing for clutch handle with a screw and then a half inch away on the handle itself is the empty hole. I think the pin is gone. How do I replace?

If it's an empty hole you may be able to run a zip tie through it to hold long enough to get it to the shop.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:51 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member

OK first off enjoy your dinner. This is no big deal. Easy fix. Just drive to the dealer and get a new pin with snap ring. Insert pin through perch and clutch handle an put snap ring on other side (underneath the perch).

Old 02-12-2010, 10:55 PM
Thatzmister2u
Road Captain

OK first off enjoy your dinner. This is no big deal. Easy fix. Just drive to the dealer and get a new pin with snap ring. Insert pin through perch and clutch handle an put snap ring on other side (underneath the perch).
Thank you! I will double check as soon as I get home! Thank you! I will post pic when I get there just so you can all look.

Thanks to everyone!

E-

Quick Reply: Clutch Question - Please help!