General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headsets

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 02:42 AM
Nordictat2
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headsets

Thinking about investing in headsets (for husband and myself) so which one(s) does the job for you???

Old 02-16-2010, 06:54 AM
ANIMAL03
Grand HDF Member
Received 754 Likes on 478 Posts

wife and i went with the vemar jano helmets. well worth the investment. $$$$ though.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:02 AM
Dragan
Tourer

what do you want them to do? My wife and I use scala rider bluetooth sets, REALLY happy with them. Intercom, bike to bike, listen to ipod, GPS, even a cell phone if you want to. Not cheap, but you get a lot of functionality and no wires...good gear

Old 02-16-2010, 07:15 AM
fatbob123
Road Captain

Schuberth make a fantastic one buts its $$$$$$

Old 02-16-2010, 07:50 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 308 Likes on 179 Posts

I went with IMC headsets, use the CB on my ultra and a Midland Portable CB for my wife.
Main reason is that they are not attached to a helmet, can be used with half helmets.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:08 AM
RDM
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We use the J&M Elite Series headsets in our open face 3/4 helmets and the IMC helmetless headsets for our half helmets. I really like the sound quality of the J&M headsets. The IMC headsets are nice in that you don't need a helmet to use them, if you ride without a helmet. I like them cause I have several half helmets and can use these no matter which I put on that day.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:44 AM
Nordictat2
Advanced

Thanks for the input guys

Well, we want it so we can communicate. Be alot easier instead of me tapping his leg and giving a hand movement for when I need to pee or want to stop for a smoke lol.

I will pass this info. onto the ol' man so he can look into this.

Thanks again

Old 02-16-2010, 10:50 AM
Rabbit_
Road Captain

I have an AutoCom unit and I think they are simply the best systems out there.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:26 AM
miketedesco
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What price are these units? I have thought about this for my wife and I since we each ride our own bikes and wear full face helmets. Communication is tough, but I am also cheap when it comes to that kind of stuff.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:31 PM
Rabbit_
Road Captain

I don't know what they would be in your area but in Canada here they then to be a bit more expensive. For bike to bike tho you still need radios or CB's to go with them.
On Scala's site the Q2 multi set is $514 this gives you two paired headsets that will allow you to talk bike to bike or their G4 Powerset for $654 with no separate radios needed.
On AutoCom's US site they have the Active-Plus on for $140, plus you would need radios to talk bike to bike. We use a couple of cheap Motorola FRS radios and they’ve worked very well so far. You can pick up a decent set for around $50 i think. So you running total is 2 Active-Plus’s at $140 is $280 plus $50 bones for radios is $330. The other thing is if you don’t want to use two way radios you can use CB’s instead and the AutoCom system is in Stereo whereas the Scala to the best of my knowledge is not.
I like the AutoCom because after trying a bunch of different products it was the only one that worked. On everything else the VOX wouldn’t work because of my pipes, simply riding down the hiway would trigger it. The units that had a push to talk button didn’t work because the mic wasn’t noise canceling and the other person just heard noise.
JMHO

Quick Reply: Headsets