General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ethanol free gas

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 10:56 AM
grumpy old biker
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not run 10% or less ethanol fuel? HD approves of it. I run it and bike runs fine. As a matter of fact guys are dumping all sorts of injection cleaner in their tanks and basically your doing the same thing adding some sort of alcohol to the fuel. Add to this several main stream motorcycle journalists and writers state it's fine, as long as it doesn't exceed 10%.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:25 AM
ken thompson
The Schlong Man
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Most marinas but you'd have to know someone as they typically will not fuel a road vehicle. It's a tax thing.

Old 05-03-2010, 02:59 PM
FLUltrarider
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm suprised you can find any road gas available for sale anywhere in Florida w/o up to 10% Ethanol (so you know you have 10% ethanol). Govenor Crist caved to the alternative fuel lobbyists and mandated that all gas sold here in Florida for road use have up to 10% ethanol in order to "reduce dependency on foreign oil, and reduce emissions." Well, my vehicle now gets a documented 17% reduction in fuel mileage due to the lower energy level contained in the ethanol, which means I'm actually having to fill up more often than before. 10% ethanol does very little, if anything, to reduce our dependence on foreign oil, and your still pumping the same old crud out your tailpipe on the 90% remaining, which is a negligible reduction in pollution. In addition, ethanol is no cheaper at these low volumes than just plain gas so you're getting to pay about a $0.10 per gallon premium for the privaledge of burning the stuff. Another politically mandated fable hoisted on the average American. Until we get serious about alternative fuels and the government and private industry decide to fund the infrastructure required we're just going to keep going going down this "feel-good" path. Which really doesn't make me feel good.

Old 05-03-2010, 03:11 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Guys just get past the Ethanol thing , it's coming to all stations, in all brands, believe me. So just start figuring out now how to make your bike run well on it and you will be ahead of those guys that are stuck in the dark ages. E-85 is being mandated in Nascar next year, it is jumping ahead of FI for new implementation, they are moving heaven and earth to get it in Nascar next year for public acceptance, 10% Ethanol will be nationwide very soon.