General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

87 flh front wheel help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 06:10 PM
Johnnyiroc
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 87 flh front wheel help.

My front right caliper has a metal part that the pad sits in against the piston, it rubs the brake rotor.

Looking at the clymer book, it seems when I got the bike the thin spacer and spacer washer behind the race on the right side of the bike (as seated) have been left out by someone. Causing the wheel not to be centered in the fender and the metal thingy the pad springs into to contact the rotor. It dont make noise, but I can tell when backing up its harder to push.

The dealer 10 miles away has the spacers varying from .002 to .032 and does not have the washer. Which thickness do u need? How can you tell?

20 miles the other way the other dealer has the washer.

There has to be a total of about .200 in thickness there as my rotors are off from one another in relation the fork by .200 ish.

Figures the first 64 degree day and I am stuck because of some a-hole didnt put the damn stuff back in there.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:23 PM
Johnnyiroc
Road Master

Nothin?

Old 03-10-2010, 09:20 PM
icewater103
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't help with that, but I was thinking that unless you have side to side play, what ever you put in one side has to come out of the other.
I think it's possible someone lost the originals and just stuck it back together with what they had. Someone at J&P may be able to tell you which ones you need.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:06 PM
Johnnyiroc
Road Master

Well I got the .032 spacer and the washer. together will move the wheel over about .125 ish....I hope for the best....maybe the brakes will work right now?

Old 03-11-2010, 09:50 PM
CroK
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those spacers usually only go on one side. Not sure if it's left or right, but just because there are no spacers on that side doesn't mean they were left out. Check the left side, to see if any spacers are there.

The proceedure for checking clearance is to place the spacers properly, (and on the correct side), then torque to specs. While you are torquing the axle nut, check to be sure the wheel is still turning free. If it tries to lock up, not enough spacers have been placed. Once you have the axle torqued, you check lateral movement.

Again, I don't have the particular specs for the amount of lateral movement, and that would also require having a dial indicator to measure the amount of movement down to the thousandth of an inch to select the proper number and size of spacers to add or remove...

Old 03-12-2010, 07:42 AM
Johnnyiroc
Road Master

Originally Posted by CroK
Those spacers usually only go on one side. Not sure if it's left or right, but just because there are no spacers on that side doesn't mean they were left out. Check the left side, to see if any spacers are there.

The proceedure for checking clearance is to place the spacers properly, (and on the correct side), then torque to specs. While you are torquing the axle nut, check to be sure the wheel is still turning free. If it tries to lock up, not enough spacers have been placed. Once you have the axle torqued, you check lateral movement.

Again, I don't have the particular specs for the amount of lateral movement, and that would also require having a dial indicator to measure the amount of movement down to the thousandth of an inch to select the proper number and size of spacers to add or remove...
I became familiar with this a couple days ago, They must be missing. The clymer picture shows a spacer and a spacer washer on the opposite side of the wheel from the speedo drive, just behind the race. My front wheel does not come close to centered, and my brakes keep sticking because the weird offset of the wheel is causing them to bind up. I think if I out these things back in there my problem should go away. They measure .120, hell thats an 1/8 almost. Thats a lot to be off by.