General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil filter???

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 11:49 AM
SBJJC
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry guys didn't mean to get the ball rolling the way it did. I was just looking for a little advise. thanks for the imput. think im going with the K&N and purple.

Old 03-28-2010, 12:36 PM
Inspector 12
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Checked K&N's website, their filters are not any cheaper than OE Harley filters. K&N pricing indicates $14 for black and $16 for chrome.

Old 03-28-2010, 12:40 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SoftailDon
I asked my dealer about the K&N and he said it would void my warranty. I sure like the idea of the built in nut. Not sure how much I believe what he said.
If that were true, he'd need to provide you with free filters and I really don't think that will ever happen.

Old 03-28-2010, 12:42 PM
FLHX08
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I use the K&N and have been on the two most recent bikes I've owned. 2003FLSTCI and the current 08 FLHX. bet you guessed the second one.

go to https://www.zanottimotor.com/shopping/partLookUp.html
put in KN-171C and there you go. I buy 3 at a time and that'll get me 15K miles down the road.

good luck, ride safe and sober.

Old 03-28-2010, 02:17 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 624 Likes on 388 Posts

I use the Harley Chrome oil filter.

Old 03-28-2010, 05:11 PM
first dyna 07
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Man

All three holes H-D liguid . For the oil filter, black most of the time .

Old 03-28-2010, 06:04 PM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 304 Likes on 226 Posts

I have been buying the 4 pack of K&N oilf filters from Eastern Peformance. They have been great to deal with and have fast, FREE shipping. Love the nut on the end to take them off.

http://www.easternperformance.com/pr...arley-Twin-Cam

After market filters will NOT void your warranty. If a dealer told you that, he is either an idiot, a liar, or both. Finda another dealer. Even if the filter caused a failure, the filter manufacturer will cover it. I have worked directly with oil filter manufaturers reps who will all tell you, if the filter caused a failure of any kind, they will pay for the repair.

I also questin the HD filter bragging about the 5 micron. I have read somewhere that the filter can not filter enough oil at start up when the oil is thick and cold. This means that some, if not most of the oil is going through the bypass. Who cares what micron it's filtered to if not all of the oil is going through the filter media, all of the time. Especially at start up.

My personl 2 cents, which doesn't mean anything, is that any brand name oil and any brand name filter will work just find if changed regularly.

Old 03-28-2010, 06:07 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SBJJC
Goin to be chaning the oil next week in all three holes. first time i Have done it. the dealer was too expensive last time i went in. who here uses the K&N oil filters, or do you use the Harley brand? what types of oil (brands) do you guy like and who much goes where? i have the manual, just getting options

i have a 2008 EGUC with 30,000 miles

Thanks
I swear by the OEM overpriced filters, but my buddy likes the K&N with the cool wrench thing on the end. I like the wrench thing and would be willing to try it, if I ever remember to ask for it when I finally get around to changing oil. LOL I never seem to remember til afterwards.

Those are the only two choices that I would ever consider. No other aftermarket filter is worth the risk, in my opinion.

Old 03-28-2010, 06:13 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SoftailDon
I asked my dealer about the K&N and he said it would void my warranty. I sure like the idea of the built in nut. Not sure how much I believe what he said.
My dealer sells the K&N filters. Similar price, if I recall.

Old 03-28-2010, 06:18 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

You mean we're supposed to change the filter?

Quick Reply: Oil filter???