General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Davidson Police Motorcycles

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 03:31 AM
jcr
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out dealerships around the country and you can find some good deals.
One place in MD has 2010 police bikes with the 103 with between 12 & 25 miles for anywhere from $16,900- $17,900.00 with warranty. Every year they have them. If I had not gotten my Ultra this would have been what I would have done. In fact put money down on one.

Old 04-01-2010, 06:31 AM
cocheese72
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BIMC Stinger
What state are you in Cocheese? Just curious. As for mine, it's a 2004 FLHTPI that was used by Evansville, IN PD from new until about 2007. I bought it in November 2007 with 14,xxx miles on it. It now is about to turn over to 40,000 miles in the next couple days on me. This past november I had a 95" big bore kit, cams, feuling oil pump and lifters done. The motor and tranny were still solid and I did the big bore mostly cause I ran out of other **** to do on it after customizing the hell out of it the past couple years. Now it runs like a beast and I anticipate running it for several more years, even if I end up buying a 110th Anniversary model like I want. As for this "wiring harness" issue everyone keeps talking about I have no idea what they speak of. I've added a stereo, amp and speakers and never worried about the factory harness. No dead shorts anywhere and no wiring problems that I have seen so far in two years. Not sure what other depts are doing with their bikes but around these parts the dealer removes all the lights and equipment when they are traded in for newer ones. The wires on my dept's motors were properly terminated and covered to avoid shorts, three of them were bought by officers I work with and are running fine still. If some dept is just letting someone clip all the wires and rip the equipment off before they are given back to the dept then that is a depts. bikes to avoid for sure!

If you are anywhere near Indiana I would tell you to look into the Indiana State Police bikes. They sell them all every year and I've never found one with more than 5k miles of the couple dozen I looked at in Plainfield at Indy West HD last year. Plus the ISP bikes don't have the birch white pain like mine, they have a gold metal flake or pearl quality to the white paint. Very eye catching IMHO. Indy West HD sells them for around $14-15k and several of them are already converted for two-up riding by the dealer to make them more attractive to buyers. Plus like stated above, the last several model years come stock with a 103" and the 6-speed. I still kick myself for not waiting on a slightly newer one. But hell, I only owe $5,000 on mine so I'm pretty happy. Let us all know what you are looking at. As you can see above, you have a bunch of us quasi-experts in this field and we love talking about our cop bikes!
Thanks for the info, I am in KY. My only problem I guess is that I am looking in the $9000 range. I'm just not dropping in the teens on a HD right now. I think if I were, I would just buy a Fatboy which I prefer anyway. I was looking at these:
http://louisville.craigslist.org/mcy/1661258422.html
http://louisville.craigslist.org/mcy/1653594771.html

Old 04-01-2010, 08:32 AM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I'll sell you my "civilianized" 06 FLHP with 21,000 miles, new street glide bags, V&H slipons with a fuel pak, and a sundowner seat for $9,000...

APRIL FOOLS!

Old 04-01-2010, 11:37 AM
tom_hd02
Cruiser

Police HD's look badass. However, keep in mind that they are used as "working vehicles", sometimes by several police officers. Noboby will take care of a bike more that its owner.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:45 PM
cmeaney
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a 2004 FLHTPI a couple of years ago, and am very happy with it. Still need to change out the swithches and switch covers, but over all have had no real problems with it. Bought it at Indy HD, already repainted and with lots of chrome for 14K. Love it and plan to keep it a long time.

Old 04-01-2010, 01:05 PM
cocheese72
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by carpetride
I'll sell you my "civilianized" 06 FLHP with 21,000 miles, new street glide bags, V&H slipons with a fuel pak, and a sundowner seat for $9,000...
Too many miles.

Old 04-01-2010, 02:04 PM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by cocheese72
Too many miles.
Yeah, best to try to find a cop bike with low miles.

When I bought mine it had just come off a 2 year lease with 1441 miles on the clock.
Payed $12,595

Good luck

Old 04-01-2010, 02:47 PM
Centerline
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Man I drool all over the used Police RK's the Denton Tx. Police turn into the North Texas Harley shop every few months. One day I will get me one.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:00 PM
cptkinguru
Intermediate

I bought mine from the City of Orlando. They buy a new fleet for their Police Department every two years and sell off the others. Kinda cool walking into the city shops and seeing a row of 35 Harleys and taking my pick. The '07s came with the 103ci engine, 6 speed trans, bigger alternator, oil cooler, air seat, and run-flat tires. I think that's it anyway. Mine had 9400 miles on it and seemed clean and tight. I had one small wiring problem is all, and they reconfigure the horn wiring so that needed to be changed back. So far I've not had any troubles and love the bike.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:28 PM
POPS87FXR
Tourer

All of mine were former cop bikes, no problems with any of them.

Quick Reply: Harley Davidson Police Motorcycles