General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Davidson Police Motorcycles

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 04:48 PM
cocheese72
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Harley Davidson Police Motorcycles

I started finding some Police HD's for sale around my area. Can anyone shed any light on how these value compared to the standard model? Can anyone provide any other tips about these bikes as to any other differences besides the obvious difference in looks, seat, etc? I assume they are more comfortable, maybe tuned differently, but not sure what else I should pay attention to when checking them out. I have not seen one in person yet. Just looking on-line.

Old 03-30-2010, 05:52 PM
rdam
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Try the search function. Lots of folks on here have cop bikes and love them. Plenty of advice available in multiple threads.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:07 PM
Dorkman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Be very careful...condition varies according to maintenance. The mileage on the odometer will not be a good indication of the motor condition. These bikes idle a lot, more so if it's a city bike.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:42 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

they're generally cheaper in sale price, and most departments take excellent care of them. The only real problem with them (like stated above), is that they go through some running conditions a normal bike won't in it's life time.
Good friend of mine has an 04 RK that was a sheriff's dept bike. He's had no probs with it so far.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:26 PM
stevent
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The ones that would normally be TC88's will have 96 inch motors and the ones that would normally be 96 will be 103 inch's, plus they have the big cooling fans on the left hand side, oil coolers etc. I had ex State Patrol 80in Shovelhead FLHP and a buddy of mine has a 2007 103 incher. The only real problem is the Police wiring, you're going to have to spend some time going over the wiring and getting rid of loose ends. The cops just cut the wires for their equipment and take it off.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:42 PM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 605 Likes on 327 Posts

I have 2 cop bikes first was the 06 no problems..the 2nd one is an 07 103 just typical Harley problems with it..cop bikes are pretty much the same as the rest..no special tune,a little more wiring for the cop stuff..if you look you should be able to score a 1 year old bike for 14 -15 grand,

Old 03-30-2010, 09:15 PM
U-234
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I bought an '02 FLHTPI from Grand Junction. It had been a Denver Police Bike. They had several that had came off lease. All of them had creased front fenders from engine guard bar hits because of curb jumping. Bag guards and engine guards were scraped from police practice courses. Shifting on the one I got was a little clunky in the lower gears. But that was about all I noticed on mine and that could have normal. But one day as I was visiting my bud in Denver we passed a group of Denver Police with a couple of bikes in the middle of I-25. Suddenly one of the bikes pulls out, lights flashing. We're doing 70 and he passes us. He had to have been banging those gears hard. I thought, "that's the life of a police bike". As for the engine I did a 95 kit on it soon after I got it. The new police bikes are factory 103.
On a side note. My bud's neighbor is a Colorado Bike HP. He said his unit just got new bikes. The winning lease bid was one dollar a year per bike but the HD dealer gets to do all services to the bikes. At the end of the year the dealer has an X number of bikes to sell. At the time dealers were on quotas and could not get more bikes. But Harley would send them all the police bikes they could lease. Leases went from a 2 year time period to a 1 year during that time.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:32 PM
69z28
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A good friend of mine bought an 06 RK police and got a good bike for a great price.He spent about a grand to "civilize" it and he loves it.Had to put a battery and clutch right away and he changed the seat and a few other things but that's personal preference.They can be a great choice.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:38 PM
CroK
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine (a 1999 RK) came out of Fort Lauderdale Sheriff's Department. Previous owner (first title holder) bought it when it had just 1250 miles on the Odometer. I got it last year with 64,103 miles. I'm just now approaching 73,000.

Been through the valve train, changed to 6 spd Baker gear set, and I've got the parts sitting in the shop for rebuilding the top end when I'm convinced it's necessary. I've seen the inside of everything except the crank case, and looks like I'll be riding for a long while. I doubt I'll ever get rid of it, I like it that much...

Old 03-30-2010, 10:38 PM
roadrash3
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

I am a motorcop and i would not buy my own bike. The bikes are fairly stock. My first one was the 88ci with a stage one. My newest 2008 model is a 103 complete stock. The wiring on the bikes is a mess to start with and i would have to put in a new wiring harness. We do take good care of them, i bring it in constantly and have it serviced every 5000 miles with regular oil. Why would i not buy one? Because of the abuse. When i got my 2008 model, i really enjoyed the 103ci. My personal ride is a 88ci, and i thought i would take care of this bike. I tried to baby it but it just is impossible, At this point two years later there is no way i would buy the bike. We work speed enforcement which goes from being at a dead stop, to starting the bike and taking off like a bat out of hell for 1000 feet, then shutting the bike off. At night the bike runs the entire time to operate my lights, constantly idle. We ride the clutch, putting wear and tire on the tranny and engine. I do believe that harley makes a good product there and off the bat the bike will ride just fine. I have 100,000 miles on my personal bike, and average 15,000 a year on my work harley. This bikes will take a beating. I just don't know if you are going to keep the bike in the long run how it will treat you. On another note, i know several police motors that have been totaled and then pieced back together in a new frame. They keep the same vin numbers, since the frame is sent back to harley. But because the insurance company is not involved they are not sold as salvaged. You never know what you might get, i speak on experience.

Quick Reply: Harley Davidson Police Motorcycles