General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My fault but very lucky.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 09:21 PM
exemexer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default My fault but very lucky.

Little bit of a close call this morning. Following a Suzie-soccer-mom in a big azz SUV when she decided to grab the left turn lane, so I sped up to take the open spot. All of a sudden she decides she don't want to turn left and jumps back into the lane she so recently vacated. Well guess what, I'm there now. Just about stood my sporty on 'er nose AND locked the back brake, rear end comin' around on my left, almost veered into the guy on my right, he backs off, she speeds off and takes the next left and think it was another 1/4 mile before I finally exhaled. Talk about sphincter puckerage. I can think of at least 2 things that caused this although there was no contact and I kept it upright. 1.) Following too close, 2.) Speeding up into her blind spot to claim her vacated spot. Anything else? And by the way I'm sure Suzie never had a clue. I hope I can continue to learn these lessons without gettin' squished.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:27 PM
beerguz
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good recovery. Did you have loud pipes? Just wondering.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:29 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member

no offense but there's nothing more dangerous than a woman behind the wheel of a large SUV, something clicks in them and they become tunnel visioned, empowered, invincible, entitled to own the road???? i don't know what it is. i steer clear of them and try to never allow myself to get up next to them because i've almost been killed by them in the past too.

glad you got out of it alright.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:29 PM
Johnnyiroc
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes your fault, but on the other hand it is sad she didnt notice you next to her with a motorcycle. I can hear any bike next to me. Exc maybe a Gold wing. Those are quiet!
I turn my head and look before I turn in addition to using mirrors. I have no blind spot. If I turn my head 90 degrees I can see most of the front and out my back window corner! I was gifted. They call me eagle eye! If I cant see, I dont make the move

Old 03-31-2010, 09:31 PM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Go buy a lottery ticket..

always got to think "what if" but I'm sure if you didn't know that you do now

Old 03-31-2010, 09:31 PM
brgtr3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I've had 'em run red lights at intersections and almost lay me flat too. I'm ALL for banning cell phones in cars 100%. Too many idiot's on the road, female AND male.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:32 PM
asm481
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

For sure following to close...you know that. Might also look at your lane position prior to "her" change to the turn lane. My bet is you were center or right side of your lane. Mostly invisible to a cage driver. Usually it is best to be in the left tire track so you are right behind cage drivers (also in front of), so they actually see you.
We can not make them drive better, only be safer ourselves.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:36 PM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by asm481
For sure following to close...you know that. Might also look at your lane position prior to "her" change to the turn lane. My bet is you were center or right side of your lane. Mostly invisible to a cage driver. Usually it is best to be in the left tire track so you are right behind cage drivers (also in front of), so they actually see you.
We can not make them drive better, only be safer ourselves.

I always ride left lane...the way I was taught back in the 70s

Old 03-31-2010, 09:38 PM
Johnnyiroc
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

yes, it goes like this. If you cant see them in the mirrors, they cant see you. YOU WANNA BE SEEN!

Old 03-31-2010, 09:46 PM
exemexer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by beerguz
Good recovery. Did you have loud pipes? Just wondering.
lol, no I don't have loud pipes but I now have a much louder inner voice tellin' me "dude watch WTF YOU'RE DOIN'!!!"

Quick Reply: My fault but very lucky.